Sunsets And Sunrises

Kan Win

Made this capture in Chiang Rai last winter.

attachicon.gifuntitled-48-Edit.jpg

You've posted some great images today, Fiddlesticks.... keep them coming! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the encouragement. Hope this is just the start. I'm trying to improve my composition and digital development. Appreciate all constructive comments.

There is something about the picture you posted above that is sort of mystical... just has a "good feel" to it...thumbsup.gif

Did you do some editing to get that or was it more or less as shot?

Made this capture in Chiang Rai last winter.

attachicon.gifuntitled-48-Edit.jpg

You've posted some great images today, Fiddlesticks.... keep them coming! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the encouragement. Hope this is just the start. I'm trying to improve my composition and digital development. Appreciate all constructive comments.

There is something about the picture you posted above that is sort of mystical... just has a "good feel" to it...thumbsup.gif

Did you do some editing to get that or was it more or less as shot?

SJ, all of my photos will have some post processing applied to get them. Just as a film photographer would process his negative images. In film one uses differing film types, correction filters and dodge/burning, so too does the digital developer. I will typically tweak the white balance, perhaps exposure, tone curve adjustments, sometimes saturation or luminosity, apply some lens correction and sharpness adjustments.

I do not 'change' colors or add things that were not there.

• Like 1

I need it criticised. Actually criticised.

How about feelings which the images bring up?

First. Cold winter day in snowland - not good.

Second: Autumn late evening. Not bad at all.

Third: Summer night in the snowland. Perfect time to skinny dip in to the sea with a pretty girl after few slow dances in the bar.

I prefer the third image.

Jimmy,

Thanks for 'Like This' and all that, but is this right?

I just don't know.

MJP... if that's your first effort, I really don't think there is much wrong with them.... thumbsup.gif .... just keep trying more... unless you are like me, and are sitting eating breakfast and coffee and looking at T. Visa in the morning... instead of getting out and watching the sunrise... whistling.gif

I should do that more often... it's only a 300 metre walk for me to see the run rising over the sea ......oh what an effort! facepalm.giftongue.png

For sunset pics, it's a bit more of an effort to drive a few Kms to find a good spot.....

Edited by samuijimmy

Jimmy,

Thanks for 'Like This' and all that, but is this right?

I just don't know.

MJP... if that's your first effort, I really don't think there is much wrong with them.... thumbsup.gif .... just keep trying more... unless you are like me, and are sitting eating breakfast and coffee and looking at T. Visa in the morning... instead of getting out and watching the sunrise... whistling.gif

I should do that more often... it's only a 300 metre walk for me to see the run rising over the sea ......oh what an effort! facepalm.giftongue.png

For sunset pics, it's a bit more of an effort to drive a few Kms to find a good spot.....

Oh but there is Jimmy and it's called Dynamic Range. I'd had a think about this as I was shooting so set the camera up to do in-camera HDR (weakest HDR setting) just as a test and this happened . . .

10590339414_2f6086863b_b.jpg

Now, as I suspected Dynamic Range plays a very big part in sunset photography. The image above is an out of camera JPEG image and not very attractive, but it demonstrates the effect Dynamic Range has on these ultra high contrast/mega highlights shots. And it just so happens kind old Fiddlesticks sent me a very nice PM with how to do it with exposure bracketing in RAW and then process in LR and CS6.

It would have taken me two strokes and a myocardial infarction to figure it by myself.

• Like 2

How about feelings which the images bring up?

First. Cold winter day in snowland - not good.

Second: Autumn late evening. Not bad at all.

Third: Summer night in the snowland. Perfect time to skinny dip in to the sea with a pretty girl after few slow dances in the bar.

I prefer the third image.

Oili touches on something important here.

Where a photograph that could be good has failed, don't fight it. Work with the way the photo wants to go. Hence yes, the third image was produced with that philosophy in mind and it's also my favorite of the bunch. The first two I've tried to push in a direction they simply don't want to go and they look terrible as a result.

This worth a read . . . .

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-photograph-sunrises-and-sunsets

On my more successful non-HDR shots I used exposure lock and changed the white balance.

Thanks again MJP (got a quota of Likes back! )

Of course the problem with catching a good sunrise or sunset, is only when the actually happens... and being prepared for it!

I remember on my last holiday visit to Thailand, in over 30 days there was only one reasonably good sunset ! sad.pngwhistling.gif

On my more successful non-HDR shots I used exposure lock and changed the white balance.

Of course the problem with catching a good sunrise or sunset, is only when the actually happens... and being prepared for it!

I remember on my last holiday visit to Thailand, in over 30 days there was only one reasonably good sunset ! sad.pngwhistling.gif

You mean being up and outta bed in time!

Get this. Kids are back to school tomorrow which means Dad has to be up before 5am weekday mornings.

I'll be doing HDR sunrises it seems.

Get this. Kids are back to school tomorrow which means Dad has to be up before 5am weekday mornings.

No... I am usually up early .... but as I said earlier, breakfast and coffee and turning on the computer is my morning wake up! ... too often too long .... the sum is well up before I head out whistling.gif

I tried HDR a few years ago, gave up on that pretty fast! facepalm.gifThere is a guy on Samui, who does some superb HDR photography ... not seen him in a while now... hmmmm?

It will be quite around your house tomorrow then! at least to about 3.30 wink.pngthumbsup.gif

No... I am usually up early .... but as I said earlier, breakfast and coffee and turning on the computer is my morning wake up! ... too often too long .... the sum is well up before I head out whistling.gif

I tried HDR a few years ago, gave up on that pretty fast! facepalm.gifThere is a guy on Samui, who does some superb HDR photography ... not seen him in a while now... hmmmm?

It will be quite around your house tomorrow then! at least to about 3.30 wink.pngthumbsup.gif

But I don't wanna get up Jimmy. I hate gettin' up.

I would like to thank those that have liked my previous post #213 and please feel free to offer any advice on how to improve my photography (In any thread),and in particular this image which like most of my sunrise images are affected by fog/smoke haze.I am about to replace my present camera which has become unreliable in a number of ways. I have to decide whether to go for a mirrorless camera such as a Sony NEX-6 or a Digital SLR and would welcome any help in making a decision.

DSC08954.JPG

• Like 1

I would like to thank those that have liked my previous post #213 and please feel free to offer any advice on how to improve my photography (In any thread),and in particular this image which like most of my sunrise images are affected by fog/smoke haze.I am about to replace my present camera which has become unreliable in a number of ways. I have to decide whether to go for a mirrorless camera such as a Sony NEX-6 or a Digital SLR and would welcome any help in making a decision.

DSC08954.JPG

Hi Ron,

Depends on what kind of shooting you want to do. If street photography then the smaller mirror less would be my choice. If you want to do landscapes, serious macro, or architectural images then I would wholeheartedly recommend a DSLR.

As far as this image goes, it looks like this was taken handheld since the trees (and even the sun) seem to be somewhat blurry. THis type of shot requires that the camera be rock solid using a tripod or perhaps anchoring it on something. Also, the white balance appears a little too warm for my taste. All that being said, a shot like this is VERY difficult to pull off effectively since the dynamic range is very large. Normally, a neutral density filter or exposure blending is required to make this really successful. I hope you will accept these comments as constructive suggestions and not as criticism. I thank you for sharing with us and being open enough to ask for suggestions.

DSC08954.JPG

Hi Ron,

Depends on what kind of shooting you want to do. If street photography then the smaller mirror less would be my choice. If you want to do landscapes, serious macro, or architectural images then I would wholeheartedly recommend a DSLR.

As far as this image goes, it looks like this was taken handheld since the trees (and even the sun) seem to be somewhat blurry. THis type of shot requires that the camera be rock solid using a tripod or perhaps anchoring it on something. Also, the white balance appears a little too warm for my taste. All that being said, a shot like this is VERY difficult to pull off effectively since the dynamic range is very large. Normally, a neutral density filter or exposure blending is required to make this really successful. I hope you will accept these comments as constructive suggestions and not as criticism. I thank you for sharing with us and being open enough to ask for suggestions.

Thankyou very much for your comments, they are most welcome and I will take them om board.There is one other thing that I didn't mention and that is that it was taken one handed and the other hand was holding a restless rotweiler cross so that goes along with part of what you are saying.

As you may have noticed,almost all of my shots are street shots with only a small number of landscapes.Many of the images that I've posted in other threads such as pick-ups or the etan threads are moving targets and that is one area that my present camera has been letting me down.I have missed so many good opportunies because of it playing up at the wrong time.This morning I came very close to hurling it against a brick wall but at the same time is still capable of taking a good shot.