Pee Test Law

Hog Head

The BIB made my worker submit to a pee test yesterday and got me questioning what are the implications should it had turned up positive

Assuming that he was not carrying, does a positive test indicate guilt - guilt of what, a transgression in the past?

What is the punishment, if any?

Can one be punished for a past transgression?

The part I did not like was when they started reaching into his pockets and searching the contents as it would have been easy to do a plant

it's not that you are guilty of a past trangression if drugs are found in your pee , it's that you are in possesion of illegal drugs which is illegal , the fact that it's in your pee and not your pocket doesn't matter.

People get punished for crimes they commited yesterday more often than they get caught in the act so of course you can be punished for past crimes at a later date.

I don't know the penalty for drugs but I guess it would depend on the type of drug , normally employers will do their own pee tests and the penalty is getting fired or a lecture and fired the next time.

In case you didn't know it happens at Nightclubs , the BIB will line up a bunch of people and make them take a pee test , all perfectly legal under Thai law ...... it would be a little hard for the cops to search people without going in their pockets ! lol

Edited by MrRealDeal

it's not that you are guilty of a past trangression if drugs are found in your pee , it's that you are in possesion of illegal drugs which is illegal , the fact that it's in your pee and not your pocket doesn't matter.

People get punished for crimes they commited yesterday more often than they get caught in the act so of course you can be punished for past crimes at a later date.

I don't know the penalty for drugs but I guess it would depend on the type of drug , normally employers will do their own pee tests and the penalty is getting fired or a lecture and fired the next time.

In case you didn't know it happens at Nightclubs , the BIB will line up a bunch of people and make them take a pee test , all perfectly legal under Thai law ...... it would be a little hard for the cops to search people without going in their pockets ! lol

You pat them down and then request they turn the pockets inside out.... Never let anyone put their hands in your pockets during a search....a plant is just another means to extort

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

You pat them down and then request they turn the pockets inside out.... Never let anyone put their hands in your pockets during a search....a plant is just another means to extort

You don't know much about Police procedure or at least sensible police procedure ...... Police are trained not to let people put their hands into areas they can't see for obvious reasons , in fact "Don't put your hands in your pockets" is a pretty common phrase police use, because people tend to do that when they are nervous even if their is nothing illegal in the pockets.

Depending on what class drug found in the urine screen, the usual time for yabba or meth amphetamine (ice) is 45 days inside. I so I have been told.

Drugs like meths and coke leaves the system loooooong before 45 days.The drug that (unfortunately) stays longest in your system is marijuana.

IMO the quick tests are not reliable. The test kits are not secure since they are not kept in a hermetically sealed manner. There is the possibility of contamination.

If you ever notice in court proceedings in the west a police officer that has used a speed detection device (radar or laser) or has administered a breathalyzer alcohol measurement test is obliged to state the name of the machine, when it was calibrated, and the competency of the administering officer. This does not happen in Thailand with the drug detection kits. The RTP has refused to to provide the reliability data. I am unaware of any field test that verified the reliability of the local police forces using the test kits as a definitive indication of guilt. Only in Thailand and countries where basic civil rights are secondary will a court rely on these kit results. In any other civilized country, there must be a chemical analysis to confirm the presence of the alleged illegal chemical. Some legitimate drug products can give rise to a false positive, but in Thailand, one is guilty because the RTP and the courts refuse to follow accepted testing protocols. The only reliable tests should be a blood or hair analysis if the product cannot be found outside the body.

You don't know much about Police procedure or at least sensible police procedure ...... Police are trained not to let people put their hands into areas they can't see for obvious reasons , in fact "Don't put your hands in your pockets" is a pretty common phrase police use, because people tend to do that when they are nervous even if their is nothing illegal in the pockets.

In the States, you can search for a weapon if you have reasonable suspicion you are in danger, but you can't just search a subject on a fishing trip. Only if he is under arrest, or agrees, or his person falls under a warrant, can you do a item by item search.

Here though, I would be very concerned about one planting.

We had a bloke at work, submit a swab, fail and subsequently stood down. The sample was sent to the lab for further testing and it was found to be pre-workout. He kept his job, 4 paid days off work.

Guy's at work (tools) fly home from 2 weeks at work and do party drugs in the first week they're home then abstain for the second week and most pass the swab at the airport when we fly back out to work. Some do get caught then run off.

maybe you didnt read it correctly.... I was referring to never let ANYONE put their hands in YOUR Pockets... they could easily plant something then want paying off. ....TIT

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I read it just fine , cops put their hands in peoples pockets all over the world get used to it. And it's not illegal for them to do , it would be illegal however for you to try and stop them.

I understand your point in theory however in reality life just doesn't work that way. However a little politeness and offering to turn your own pocket inside out is a reasonably good idea on your part in Thailand.

My mate was urine tested in Pattaya last year and failed it due to his prescription of Concerta (spelling?) given to him by Bangkok - Pattaya hospital. That medicine is like Ritlen. He had a note under his seat from the doctor and the bag that came with the prescription with his name and med on it. They arrested him anyway and hosed him for 50,000 baht and refused to contact the hospital or acknowledge his prescription.

Good system they have here.

My mate was urine tested in Pattaya last year and failed it due to his prescription of Concerta (spelling?) given to him by Bangkok - Pattaya hospital. That medicine is like Ritlen. He had a note under his seat from the doctor and the bag that came with the prescription with his name and med on it. They arrested him anyway and hosed him for 50,000 baht and refused to contact the hospital or acknowledge his prescription.

pfff... why didn't your mate call a lawyer. your story is quite unbelievable.

Not many lawyers taking calls at 1am I'd guess.

Given the choice to spend the rest of the night in Soi 9 locked up with a bunch of yaabaa fiends or pay 50k, most people are going to pay if they have the money. And if you've ever been through their legal system you know that once they have your money, you're never seeing it again, with or without a lawyer.

Given the choice to spend the rest of the night in Soi 9 locked up with a bunch of yaabaa fiends or pay 50k, most people are going to pay if they have the money. And if you've ever been through their legal system you know that once they have your money, you're never seeing it again, with or without a lawyer.

If your mate has tons of money and wouldn't stand his ground, agreeing to pay for making the problem go away, up to him, but don't make readers believe that there is no way out of such a situation.

Yes, I have witnessed the legal system, albeit only from the side. I do think my lawyer would take the call at 01:00am.

If I couldn't reach the lawyer, I'd spend the night in soi 9 no problem.

It happened quite often however, that the police let me go simply when they saw me pull out the lawyer's business card.

If your mate has tons of money and wouldn't stand his ground, agreeing to pay for making the problem go away, up to him, but don't make readers believe that there is no way out of such a situation.

Yes, I have witnessed the legal system, albeit only from the side. I do think my lawyer would take the call at 01:00am.

If I couldn't reach the lawyer, I'd spend the night in soi 9 no problem.

It happened quite often however, that the police let me go simply when they saw me pull out the lawyer's business card.

I have no doubt if someone wanted to hang around Soi 9 in a cell until their lawyer sobered up from the night before and showed up to work the next day that they could probably get out of it by only paying a fraction of the cost, plus the lawyer fee. Maybe no payoff if they pushed hard enough. But I know I personally would not want to spend the night in a cage in Pattaya with real criminals and drug addicts. No thanks. 50k would be a hit for me to pay, but I think I would or at least bargain like heck to reduce it. Whatever I would have to pay is better than spending all night in a cage with the lowest class of Pattaya Thais.