Who Owns This Tree And How High Is It ... ?

kaptainrob

On the Ping river, eastern side, and south of the city >

IMG_6460.JPG

It would be interesting to know who owns the house also. :D My guesstimate for tree height is 45m .... it sure is a magnificent specimen! Anyone know what variety?

I took this photo from opposite (western) side of river, just below the sluice gate construction area, south of Number 1 Bar.

I'll run round with my chainsaw tomorrow to cut it down & measure it wink.png

I reckoned on 45m because a house like that would have ~ 6m ceilings and parallax error tends to shorten the tree's height. We'll call it 30 to 40m, ok?

What variety and how old is it?

Looks like a Cotton Tree, similar to one not far from our house. Changes colour three times a year and 'snows' seeds all over the area around April.

Thanks trainman, I believe you're correct. A closer look at foliage and bark looks identical to "bombax Scopulorum" or silk cotton tree.

P5230081.JPG

The easiest way to measure the height of the tree or anything else for that matter is simple, you need a stick, hold your arm straight out in front of you with the fings extended now measure the distance from your eye to the end of your fingers that is the length of your stick, now hold the stick apprx in the middle at arms length and walk backwards until the top and bottom of the tree are level with the top and bottom of your stick so measure the distance back to the base of the tree, the measurement is very accurate.

There is another method using a shorter stick but you need a helper but still very simple.

• Like 2

The easiest way to measure the height of the tree or anything else for that matter is simple, you need a stick, hold your arm straight out in front of you with the fings extended now measure the distance from your eye to the end of your fingers that is the length of your stick, now hold the stick apprx in the middle at arms length and walk backwards until the top and bottom of the tree are level with the top and bottom of your stick so measure the distance back to the base of the tree, the measurement is very accurate.

There is another method using a shorter stick but you need a helper but still very simple.

Good reply, wackysleet. That is the method my father taught me, but I forgot the details, so I couldn't reply.

• Like 1

Great advice thanks although impossible to do with this tree as river in between and nowhere to walk forward or back. A (revised) estimated 26 to 36m is close enough. :D

I say 35m.

34.2m.

and who is to say he is not right? because the mathematical way is using trigonometry. setting an angle bevel at say 50m from the tree pointing to the top, and making a note of the angle.

Then if anyone can remember Sine/cosine/tangents with adjacents/opposites/hypotenuse you can calculate fairly easily the height..

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif even boring myself here.

• Like 1

I say 35m.

34.2m.

and who is to say he is not right? because the mathematical way is using trigonometry. setting an angle bevel at say 50m from the tree pointing to the top, and making a note of the angle.

Then if anyone can remember Sine/cosine/tangents with adjacents/opposites/hypotenuse you can calculate fairly easily the height..

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif even boring myself here.

Can we have a poll ? JINGTHING ! ! ! !

Idiot...they want the height not the length.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Placing an I like on this one would not do it justice.

Excellent post.

You made my day and it has been a good one so far.clap2.gifclap2.gifwai2.gif

Whatever floats yer boat. I found the chainsaw quip more amusing myself, though neither is worth more than one of these - giggle.gif.

Or, make a home made clinometer, sort of like a protractor with a movable pointer. Measure the angle to the top of the tree. Measure the distance across the river to the tree on google earth. Then use a bit of trigonometry to work out the height.

Or, make a home made clinometer, sort of like a protractor with a movable pointer. Measure the angle to the top of the tree. Measure the distance across the river to the tree on google earth. Then use a bit of trigonometry to work out the height.

Or just send a bloke up there with some string. rolleyes.gif

Idiot...they want the height not the length.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Placing an I like on this one would not do it justice.

Excellent post.

You made my day and it has been a good one so far.clap2.gifclap2.gifwai2.gif

cheesy.gif

I second that..I almost spit a mouthful of vegetable juice over my keyboard