Antivenom For Snake Bites.

RichieWhite

Hi there,

I would like to (if possible) stock pile some antivenom for snake bites. Does anyone know where or if this can be purchased? I would mainly want Cobra and King Cobra antivenom. I live quite far from the hospitals and see these on a regular basis. I would imagine it would be costly but am fine with that should I need to use it one day!!

Thanks.

• Like 1

I purchased mine from Patong Hospital. I believe it was about 3,000baht per vial.

Make sure you know how and where to administer it and you have needles stored with it.

I had mine because my dog got bit...survived that bite, but not the next. Stupid dog.

• Like 1

'Back in the day' - I treated Thai Issan mountain people using this technique without anti-venom - it worked even with children... King Cobras and the other very large snakes pack a lot of venom so it is always touch and go regardless of type of treatment.

By touch and go you mean "see you in next life, bye!"?

I also have some king cobras where I live although haven't seen those for an year now.

Always wondered if bitten, should I simply call people to say goodbyes or try to get to the hospital in an hurry (It takes about 25+ minutes to get to Bangkok Hospital from here).

How long does the antivenoms last when stored?

It's not mispell

The mis-spelling gives confidence. This did work on my Rottweiler recently. Found him in the morning unable to stand and shaking, vomiting and swearing something about snakes...

It's not misspelled. "Antivenin" is a correct spelling and the one most commonly used by medical professionals.

• Like 1

interesting post, I didn't know you could purchase the anti venom and just assumed only the hospitals stored it, also as oillinki mentioned id be interested to know how long the vial can be kept in storage for? similarly we often come across snakes and expect to be inviting more due to the couple of rai of bamboo we've recently planted.

Be careful with the anti-venom because many people have bad reactions to it - quite severe sometimes. If the snake bite is on a limb - then it can be treated by a moving constricting band... Not a tourniquet but a rope - twine or cloth band just tight enough to cause constriction of the veins just above the bite area - keep moving as the swelling advances. After several moves of the band - which slows down the advance of the venom - quite a few hours may pass. So even under the worst circumstances you may buy enough time to get to a medical facility.

'Back in the day' - I treated Thai Issan mountain people using this technique without anti-venom - it worked even with children... King Cobras and the other very large snakes pack a lot of venom so it is always touch and go regardless of type of treatment.

Is this an official method of treating a king cobra bite ? It's just this seems to go against all other advice (which advises the use of a pressure dressing). Furthermore the 'constricting band' sounds suspiciously like a tourniquet to me.

totster :)

Be careful with the anti-venom because many people have bad reactions to it - quite severe sometimes. If the snake bite is on a limb - then it can be treated by a moving constricting band... Not a tourniquet but a rope - twine or cloth band just tight enough to cause constriction of the veins just above the bite area - keep moving as the swelling advances. After several moves of the band - which slows down the advance of the venom - quite a few hours may pass. So even under the worst circumstances you may buy enough time to get to a medical facility.

Is this an official method of treating a king cobra bite ? It's just this seems to go against all other advice (which advises the use of a pressure dressing). Furthermore the 'constricting band' sounds suspiciously like a tourniquet to me.

totster smile.png

A pressure dressing produces some of the effect of a constricting band. A constricting band is not the same as a tourniquet since the tightening should only close off near surface venous blood return to the heart... A tourniquet is a very tight band that cuts off deep arterial blood flow down the limb designed to cut off blood loss via a wound. A constricting band is an expedient to buy time to get to a medical facility. Having the specific anti-venom needed is not likely to happen in most cases. Whether a constricting band, anti-venom or other methods will save a life depends on the location of the bite. A bite on the neck, face, upper arm / arm pit area is likely to have a worse consequence than a bite on the hand or foot... The faster the venom gets to the heart to be recirculated to the brain and vital organs - the worse the prognosis. Hence a constricting band or a pressure bandage are helpful in some cases to buy time. As I said before King Cobras and some other very large snakes have considerably more venom. If a large dose of venom is allow to spread unrestricted then the prognosis is bad.... a big dose allows more venom to spread in a shorter amount of time.

I don't claim that my recommendations are official anything... the methods I used were what I had to work with at the time and people were saved.. At times we had anti-venom in our camp dispensary - but it was soon outdated - not sure of it's potency. At that time many years ago - anti-venom was made using horse serum and people were often made sicker with reactions to horse serum than by the snake bite. For these reasons we didn't use it much. I don't know what anti-venom is made with these days but I advise checking it out - before buying anti-venom and using it. Read the literature in the package or online.

Great explanation, thanks

totster :)

Somewhat interesting thread. I've had cobras at my house in Rawai since I've been in it. Almost 7 years now. My dog has killed off quite a few over the years. I try to discourage her from killing them. They do warn you, fairly loud hissing if they are thinking about striking. I can understand wanting it around for your dogs, as they will go after snakes. But I have never worried about them coming after me. I do look before I reach in somewhere or get out a stick to poke around. Better a stick than my hand.

• Like 1

It's not mispell

The mis-spelling gives confidence. This did work on my Rottweiler recently. Found him in the morning unable to stand and shaking, vomiting and swearing something about snakes...

It's not misspelled. "Antivenin" is a correct spelling and the one most commonly used by medical professionals.

You are right: http://www.snake-antivenin.com

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

http://www.yaps.org.au/dogsnake.html

http://www.coolamindaminifoxies.com.au/main/page_sidebar_snake_bites_and_stings.html

These two web sites particually the second with notes from Pat Coleby from her book Australian Goat Husbandry is about vitamin C injections for dogs.

I've seen it and it works on dogs, very very well, but refer to the second URL re later doses.

First aid is well described elsewhere for humans and for me I'd be more that keen to use this injectable vitamin C regime on myself as "second-aid" especially if a hospital was some time away.

It is commonly availble from vet supplies, needs to be kept cool and has an expiry date.

Do your own research as to how sterile it is for animals. Get some practice injecting water into say- fruit. Learn all you can.

Thinking how some horses, dogs etc are worth $thousands, would the manufacturers take the risk in not making it the best?

Of course they would never condone their use for humans.

If its possible to get it as suitable for humans- go for it.

Apparently most young men who present to the Emergency Department of hospitals with snakebite (overwhelmingly while trying to kill or capture the snake) arrive sweating, with abdominal cramps, etc, etc, have NOT been envenomated. They are panicking.

Very true.

The snake we have to worry about here in Phuket is the Cobra, and what you say definitely applies to them. They can bite you with no venom as they can control the amount they inject. After all, it takes time and energy for a snake to replace venom and naturally, it won't waste it on something it can't eat.

Unfortunately, baby Cobras lack this control and will inject a full dose of venom every time.

There was a long enduring myth that the venom of a baby Cobra was more toxic than the adult, but, science has now proven that it isn't so for the above reason.

So........try not to mess with baby Cobras.

Apparently most young men who present to the Emergency Department of hospitals with snakebite (overwhelmingly while trying to kill or capture the snake) arrive sweating, with abdominal cramps, etc, etc, have NOT been envenomated. They are panicking.

Very true.

The snake we have to worry about here in Phuket is the Cobra, and what you say definitely applies to them. They can bite you with no venom as they can control the amount they inject. After all, it takes time and energy for a snake to replace venom and naturally, it won't waste it on something it can't eat.

Unfortunately, baby Cobras lack this control and will inject a full dose of venom every time.

There was a long enduring myth that the venom of a baby Cobra was more toxic than the adult, but, science has now proven that it isn't so for the above reason.

So........try not to mess with baby Cobras.

Well, thats my drinking game for tonight cancelled.

Benedryl tablets are good to have on hand as well to give you time to get to the hospital. We had to kill two yellow banded kraits that were up against the house over the past week. Would never have thought of that variety of anti-venom to have on hand so not sure how practical stocking those would be.

• 4 months later...

It's not mispell

You are right: http://www.snake-antivenin.com

Anybody has bought on this shop ?

Red cross Thailand doesn't carry antivenom anymore, I just called them.

Best way not to get bitten by a snake is to leave them alone and they will move on

Snakes are not interested in you as food apart from extremely large pythons who might think you

would make a tasty snack

Keep the grass cut short around your home amd do not leave things on the ground they can hide under

If you have pets and have no option except to dispose of a snake for their safety use a long handled hoe

If you have snakes around keep your doors closed it only takes seconds for one to get into your house

Worked in the bush in Australia and saw snakes all the time and have seen plenty here as well but only

dispose of them when absolutely nessecary and poisonuos snakes only

Best way not to get bitten by a snake is to leave them alone and they will move on

Snakes are not interested in you as food apart from extremely large pythons who might think you

would make a tasty snack

Keep the grass cut short around your home amd do not leave things on the ground they can hide under

If you have pets and have no option except to dispose of a snake for their safety use a long handled hoe

If you have snakes around keep your doors closed it only takes seconds for one to get into your house

Worked in the bush in Australia and saw snakes all the time and have seen plenty here as well but only

Didn't know snakes were this big of a problem in Phuket. Thought there were snakes but didn't know they were poisonous.

My wife will freak out! What are some good preventive anti-snake measures? Any sprays or anything work to keep them away from the house? Apartments over a few stories high have these issues as well?

would make a tasty snack

Didn't know snakes were this big of a problem in Phuket. Thought there were snakes but didn't know they were poisonous.

My wife will freak out! What are some good preventive anti-snake measures? Any sprays or anything work to keep them away from the house? Apartments over a few stories high have these issues as well?

Snakes are not really a problem here, although there are plenty of cobras and other poisonous snakes going around. I don't remember stories of people being bitten by the snakes. I guess the lack of these incidents has been the reason why red cross (as reported earlier) don't stock the anti-venom anymore?

p1020883.jpg

Personally I'm most afraid the baby monocled cobras. Those are really hard to see on the ground. Therefore to step on one by accident is a possibility.

would make a tasty snack

You are safe in multistorey apartments as long as its not raining snakes

If walking in area's you think there may be snakes stamp your feet they feel more than hear and will get out of the way

Or get someone to walk in front of you and clear the way w00t.gif

Do not forget some types of snakes like to live in tree's so keep your eye's open they are hard to see wub.png

If you like walking in the bush/rain forrest it's a good idea to wear high boots most people are bitten on the ankle or foot

And keep clear of overhanging branches

would make a tasty snack

The rain is coming, with rain comes frogs, with frogs comes snakes.

would make a tasty snack

My wife is going to love this! ;)

would make a tasty snack

Very true.

Now add all the snakes looking for dry homes after their burrows have been flooded out..............