Leaving Expensive Helmet Tethered To Your Bike

angryfarang

I saw in a youtube video a guy putting the strap of his helmet through a xena disk lock, locking his helmet to his front wheel's disk.

He says that no-one would cut the strap to remove the helmet, as it makes the helmet worthless. Is this true?

I have a pretty expensive Shoei helmet and hate carrying it around everywhere. I was thinking of doing this. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Matt.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe that there are many helmets stolen by the cuting of straps. There was a thread on Thaivisa. I have a Real helmet which cost 2400 Baht and I take it with me whenever practical, which is around 90% of the time.

• Like 2

I believe that there are many helmets stolen by the cuting of straps. There was a thread on Thaivisa. I have a Real helmet which cost 2400 Baht and I take it with me whenever practical, which is around 90% of the time.

I wish I'd bought a Real helmet instead of a Shoei. Maybe I should sell it and buy a Real.

All depends where you park the bike.I always try and park where people are around.

If there is any sort of security around throw them 20 bht to keep an eye out.Only had cheap ones nicked so far by pissed tourists, watched it happen before apprehending my fault as just hanging on mirror.

I've seen a few ex-pats going apesh-t outside a certain popular supermarket in Pattaya because their helmet has gone while they were inside shopping.

I am in the same boat these days.

A new Helmet I bought & love is not able to hook onto the hook under the Ninja seat

I have considered using like a gun lock cable thru the open face section.

It is the best/easiest solution I have thought of so far.

I have also seen on the web these bar end locks that stay on your bar & open like a

disc lock. That may be an idea too? If they sell them here

pics of both ideas......

Edited by mania

Cutting the strap does not make any expensive helmet worthless. the thieves will take it in a heartbeat.

I always use a coiled cable bicycle lock, and I can store it under the seat. Put your helmet on the seat, run the cable through the chin guard of the helmet and through the passenger footpeg bracket. Or you sit it on the gas tank and run the cable through the forks.

It will definitely stop most thieves.

• Like 2

Yes a cut strap doesn't make the helmet worthless, especially here. I always carry mine if I think it might get stolen if I leave it on the bike attached to the helmet holder. As most of the time I'm out I carry a backpack, I just attach the helmet to the backpack, carrying it wherever I go.

You could probably pass some sort of cable lock through the chin guard and then secure it on the bike if carrying it is not an option.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I always use a coiled cable bicycle lock, and I can store it under the seat. Put your helmet on the seat, run the cable through the chin guard of the helmet and through the passenger footpeg bracket. Or you sit it on the gas tank and run the cable through the forks.

It will definitely stop most thieves.

Yes I think that is the route I am going to take too.

So far I have only seen the tiny cable with the flimsy combination lock.

Will look in some hardware stores for something a bit beefier

My advice is don't. Some a-hole cut the strap on my 1,300 baht full face Index helmet out side Big C Sputh Pattaya. (Metal D ring locked under the seat)

I have a decent quality full face Real helmet, that I take inside the bar or restaurant with me.

Having said that, I'm suprised that there isn't more helmet theft in Thailand.

Just sayin :)

• Like 1

In Thailand expensive helmets get stolen and are '' fixed'' with a sewing machine and resold

Even though the original safety is not up to standard anymore, it can still be sold in Thailand

Or it can be used by the thief, as most Thais don't seem to use straps anyway.

• Like 1

even my shitty index helmet got stolen by cutting the straps, of course on a tesco parking lot....

In a previous thread, a chap had his expensive helmet stolen there, while being facilitated with a worthless colander-style helmet by the considered thief.

Edited by Morakot

Just carry your Shoei everywhere with you.

I have a Shoei too and i always carry it attached to my elbow straps tied. It stays comfy there and i can use my both hands easily! You can use it as a basket in a mall or 7/11 too:lol:

Besides, it is a nice and colorful accessory for me to carry around as it looks good with its nice red color and dragon graphic art.

And i always receive nice looks and affection from ladies - can get a lady easily from a bar with it:D - appreciation and new bike friendships from gentlemen.

It is also a statement and a differentiating factor like i am not a drunk and disrespectful tourist means better deals and better and nicer relationships:D

But nothing has happened for a year now to my gf's 2300 thb cool looking Thai made Rider Helmet which stays on top of fuel tank unlocked all the time outside in Bangkok!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 2

I take the golden mean. I use cheaps helmets (Real) with a cheap, lightweight, easy to carry, selfmade lock. Then i fix the helmet through the chin guard to the bike.

If the helmet gets stolen i would buy a new one without anger as it starts stinking anyway, now that its nearly two years old smile.png

post-129800-0-00258300-1323143520_thumb.

I have a decent helmet. I am afraid to lock it to my PCX, ( Honda supply a cable that goes on a hook under the seat), in case it gets stolen. Unfortunately the helmet itself won't fit under the seat, so I use a cheap one for pottering around locally, and use the good one when I go on the main roads.

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely won't be locking in to my bike via its strap.

I'll take some of the ideas above and lock it to the frame of the bike using a lock like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-BICYCLE-CYCLE-BIKE-HELMET-COMBINATION-CABLE-LOCK-/280449430414?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item414c16b38e

Peace out,

Matt.

Stopped into Home Pro to see if they had some cable locks.

Oh Brother do not even bother with the FITT brand they sell smile.png

You know the cable, vinyl coated steel cable looked great size wise. But it has a integral lock.

So you cannot open till you buy it because they are coiled & zip tied.

On a whim I though I would try one key from another one coiled there & yup it opened

So I tried a few more & yup they all opened. sheesh they are all keyed alike or so close the

key from others will work.

Like I said good cable but too bad it does not have looped ends & you could throw away their lock & use a good one

Looks like this....

Edited by mania

I have a full face carbon helmet and never leave it on my bike. (In Thailand). If I do need to carry it with me then I have it on my elbow, like LoserLazer. It's so light it's hardly an inconvenience

However, I always leave my Shoei on my bike in Qatar with no worrries at all. I could probably even leave my wallet on the seat as well, confident that the locals wouldn't touch it. Of course, I may be unlucky one day and that would probably be an ex-pat. smile.png

And sorry guys but for those of you who have had your lids nicked in the Tesco, Big C car parks etc? Well that is just dumb........considering those big stores have a counter where you can hand your lid in whilst shopping.

Edited by Phatcharanan

How many 'cool Thai teenagers' fasten their helmets? Very few, hence the reason they will cut the strap.

They'll own a super cool helmet and having such a highly polished helmet will attract and bucket load of fanny!!

As Phatcharanan does, I carry my Shoie around on my arm, the slight inconvenience of carrying it far outweighs the 24,000baht it'll cost to buy a replacement.

Plus having one hand/arm tied up means i don't have to hold my girlfriend's hand biggrin.png

Edited by karlos
  • Like 1

Hi in the uk i had a helmet safe which is a waterproof bag reinforced with wire net it has abuilt in lock and wire rope which you can attach anyware on the bike.one of the best things i ever bought maybe try google...

Sorry its called a lidsafe

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by leebie