An Ambulance Siren Should Have Been Blaring: Thai Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL

An ambulance siren should have been blaring

The Nation

The case of a news photographer being denied medical help at Parliament is a deeply disturbing indictment of an uncaring society

BANGKOK: -- There's a difference between being heartless and unethical. But while you can be one or the other, you can also be both. What happened at Parliament on Thursday, when an ailing news photographer was refused use of an official ambulance - because it was on standby for any MPs that might need it - beggars belief.

Sakol Sandhiratne, who works for the Nation Multimedia Group and was covering a parliamentary press conference when he collapsed, remained in critical condition yesterday following an operation on his brain.

This was no stomach-ache or broken leg. Sakol's colleagues and friends sought the help of parliamentary authorities because his condition was serious, the symptoms of a major brain or heart problem evident to any bystander. Sakol was semiconscious words when he said, while being denied aid, "Doc, I'm losing it. Help me."

You might abhor the sound of an ambulance siren, but its silence can be far more disturbing.

No one can say whether Sakol's condition would be any different had he been taken to hospital sooner, but often minutes or even seconds can decide between life and death in the case of heart or brain stroke. Anyone could see that, in Sakol's case, there was no time for the ambulance crew to check with superiors about getting him to hospital. He needed urgent, immediate help. He didn't get it.

The medics in Parliament's first-aid room firmly refused to dispatch the ambulance that was sitting idly on standby should an MP fall ill. The officials were worried they'd be reprimanded if an MP did suddenly need the ambulance when it wasn't there. Eventually an ambulance from the Narenthorn Centre took Sakol to Klang Hospital, where he was diagnosed with bleeding in the brain and underwent surgery.

Reports yesterday suggested there is no discriminatory policy regarding use of the parliamentary ambulance. Evidently Parliament has an agreement with several hospitals, primarily Phramongkutklao, to handle any medical need that arises in the compound - MPs, staff and visitors alike. But such assurances provide no comfort for Sakol's loved ones, who at the moment are only praying for his full recovery.

Cynics will say such medical discrimination happens every day, much of it overlooked by the news media. Of course Sakol's ordeal is one of countless others, but doctors and medics warrant scrutiny when they refuse to help a citizen who is suffering a possible brain haemorrhage just metres away. That the medical arrangements at Parliament cover visitors like Sakol can only add insult to his loved ones' pain.

Expect to see reports soon about how often the medical facility at Parliament is actually utilised and how many times the ambulance has made emergency trips to hospital in the past year.

It is difficult to decide which is more disturbing - the human or the ethical aspects of Sakol's case. This is a strange world, after all, in which people will nurse injured stray animals back to health and yet shrug off an event involving injured humans, like what happened at Parliament on Thursday.

The medics involved must have been junior, but what have they been taught and from whom did they learn? Being heartless and unethical requires no lessons, to be sure. They don't teach us in school to save our own skin first, but that doesn't mean we can't quickly learn the lesson

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-12

This is a stark example of "Thai obstinence" and indifference. That's the way that they are. The newspaper expresses shock and dismay. Well everyone knows that's the way it is with Thais. Had it not been one of their own , we would never hear about anything like this in this newspaper.

• Like 2

Sirens? I have yet to see any motorist yield to an emergency vehicle here.

I was once in an ambulance from Pak Chong to Bangkok. My son had broken his arm and needed an op to reset & put in pins. Wwe needed to be fast to avoid soft tissue damage.

Perhaps the scariest white-knuckle ride I've ever been on.

Plenty of cars got out of the way, although I'm not sure it was a case of yielding as it was being nudged out of the way by the nutty ambulance driver.

If you think regular Thai drivers have a tendency towards bad driving, you've seen nothing till you get in an ambulance. I'm amazed we made it in one piece.

• Like 1

The officials were worried they'd be reprimanded if an MP did suddenly need the ambulance when it wasn't there.

They failed to do their jobs, unlike the nurse shot-and-killed at the wat in 2010, because they might get fired for doing their jobs and saving someone's life ? Even though they had an ambulance standing right there just-in-case ?

Should be reprimanded for not doing their jobs !

"It is difficult to decide which is more disturbing - the human or the ethical aspects of Sakol's case. This is a strange world, after all, in which people will nurse injured stray animals back to health and yet shrug off an event involving injured humans, like what happened at Parliament on Thursday.

The medics involved must have been junior, but what have they been taught and from whom did they learn? Being heartless and unethical requires no lessons, to be sure. They don't teach us in school to save our own skin first, but that doesn't mean we can't quickly learn the lesson"

----------------------

This isn't about being human or ethical, but more the cultures of societies.

This is a clear example of the differences between collectivistic and individualistic societies.

The majority of Western societies are individualistic, and the East collectivistic.

In this frame of reference, there was little wrong action in the thoughts of the Thai team, be they young as questioned, or elder.

It is difficult for most to perceive what was going through their minds, as most members here come from individualistic backgrounds.

Apply a little psychology, at least when writing such reports, because your assumptions are individualism based, and don't include the minds of the collectivistic.

-mel.

• Like 1

"It is difficult to decide which is more disturbing - the human or the ethical aspects of Sakol's case. This is a strange world, after all, in which people will nurse injured stray animals back to health and yet shrug off an event involving injured humans, like what happened at Parliament on Thursday.

The medics involved must have been junior, but what have they been taught and from whom did they learn? Being heartless and unethical requires no lessons, to be sure. They don't teach us in school to save our own skin first, but that doesn't mean we can't quickly learn the lesson"

----------------------

This is a clear example of the differences between collectivistic and individualistic societies.

The majority of Western societies are individualistic, and the East collectivistic.

In this frame of reference, there was little wrong action in the thoughts of the Thai team, be they young as questioned, or elder.

It is difficult for most to perceive what was going through their minds, as most members here come from individualistic backgrounds.

Apply a little psychology, at least when writing such reports, because your assumptions are individualism based, and don't include the minds of the collectivistic.

-mel.

If I may reply using your signature, "A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year; And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. --------------------- Winston Churchill.

----------------------

-mel.

Hmmmmm I woulda thought the author was an Eastern collectivist.

Maybe it's a good thing that we Western individualists are only rarely assimilated into the borg culture after all.

Edited by cloudhopper
  • Like 1

----------------------

-mel.

A collective works for the greater good of the group. An individual works for the greater good of himself. Thailand is much closer to

the feudal system, where the peasants work for the greater good of the liege lord. So in this case the actions of the medics were slanted to serve the liege lords. This is a widely understood aspect of Thai culture, it is just seldom to see it

displayed so publicly as in this case.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

I was once in an ambulance from Pak Chong to Bangkok. My son had broken his arm and needed an op to reset & put in pins. Wwe needed to be fast to avoid soft tissue damage.

Perhaps the scariest white-knuckle ride I've ever been on.

Plenty of cars got out of the way, although I'm not sure it was a case of yielding as it was being nudged out of the way by the nutty ambulance driver.

If you think regular Thai drivers have a tendency towards bad driving, you've seen nothing till you get in an ambulance. I'm amazed we made it in one piece.

I have seen an ambulance with lights at least and a siren at traffic lights and some did move over but not all. I always do as I realise that one day it might be my family or myself in that ambulance.

I remember about 7 years ago in the UK my wife was taken to hospital in an ambulance where she died a few days later. The driver was a woman, as a lot seem to be for some reason and that was scary. At one point a guy on a scooter pulled out in front of her and I'm amazed she missed him. Fantastic driving and very welcome.

Let's hope this guy recovers soon.

Edited by kimamey

----------------------

-mel.

I think you'll find Thai society is both, certain indevidualistic minded persons are practicing collectivism for thier own benefit.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by ggold

Correct, in the seven years I have lived here, I have seen plenty of ambulances with flashing lights, but have never seen a vehicle pull in to let one pass.

In more than 10 years here - countless stories abound. Any ambulance does not take precedence over any Thai driver who is in traffic and accordingly will not yield. As there is no police follow up or legitimate fines for these arrogant people, nothing will change. Had Khun Sakol actually entered the ambulance there would still have been no real difference. Sadly - medical assistance on the spot seems to be the only chance one has.

Its simple

The ambulance drivers did not do their job FIRE THEM. That will send a signal to the piers

Bit harsh to blame the ambulance drivers. It gets drilled into them - as it gets drilled into most lower classes who work serving upper classes, which is what these ambulance guys' position affectively was - that the people with power and money are special and get special treatment. If for some reason that special treatment is not afforded to them - say for example one of them has a nose bleed and the ambulance has disappeared off helping some "nobody" in some "minor" life or death situation, well then there could well be h3ll to pay and they could well end up losing their job.

Correct, in the seven years I have lived here, I have seen plenty of ambulances with flashing lights, but have never seen a vehicle pull in to let one pass.

Not that this justifies not letting them past, but one of the reasons people perhaps don't, is that when you pull over in traffic to let them by, a continuous stream of traffic will be following tight on the bumper of the ambulance, and the driver who has politely pulled over, will not be able to pull back into "their lane" again, affectively meaning losing tens and tens of places. Driving in traffic here is a highly competitive business, sad though that is. Nobody wants to lose an inch, and most are doing all they can to steal an inch, if not a mile! I hate it, but unless you adopt a similar sort of attitude, and at least start driving a bit defensively, you will end up being metaphorically walked all over. As i say, none of that justifies not allowing an ambulance to pass, but it gives you an idea why it happens.

Some years back a friend was a junior copper in Sydney had a front seat ride in an ambulance carrying a serious RTA victim. Amused himself by noting number plates of vehicles not attempting to clear the way and spent the afternoon sending out almost 50 infringement notices. IMHO ambulances should have a camera activated by siren for just this purpose.

• Like 1

Some years back a friend was a junior copper in Sydney had a front seat ride in an ambulance carrying a serious RTA victim. Amused himself by noting number plates of vehicles not attempting to clear the way and spent the afternoon sending out almost 50 infringement notices. IMHO ambulances should have a camera activated by siren for just this purpose.

Excellent Ozmick, I was a professional driver in the UK, and never once did I see a driver not pull in for an emergency vehicle.

If the PM was there she would have taken care of it! She would have demanded that a parlimentary vote be taken to see if he could use it!

I think it more likely that she would set up a committee to carry out an in depth investigation which would report back in 90 days.

Not that this justifies not letting them past, but one of the reasons people perhaps don't, is that when you pull over in traffic to let them by, a continuous stream of traffic will be following tight on the bumper of the ambulance, and the driver who has politely pulled over, will not be able to pull back into "their lane" again, affectively meaning losing tens and tens of places. Driving in traffic here is a highly competitive business, sad though that is. Nobody wants to lose an inch, and most are doing all they can to steal an inch, if not a mile! I hate it, but unless you adopt a similar sort of attitude, and at least start driving a bit defensively, you will end up being metaphorically walked all over. As i say, none of that justifies not allowing an ambulance to pass, but it gives you an idea why it happens.

I see what your'e saying, but such is the Thai mentality that they are so stupid they can't think it could be one of their own in the ambulance, or can't decide what is more important, a few cars in front of them or a human life.