Duty Free To Australia

overherebc

As far as I'm concerned, all Smokers should be herded together in a warehouse at the airport....

You can guess the rest, why?

I'll tell you 3 weeks ago I had a terrible bust up with a smoker in a restaurant, it started off as “ can you please blow your smoke in another direction" and ended up with him wanting to beat me up because I objected to smoke ruining my meal.

Selfish prick.

Thats why there is a warning on the packets of cigarettes they can damage your health, and every one else to,

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm concerned, all Smokers should be herded together in a warehouse at the airport....

I'll tell you 3 weeks ago I had a terrible bust up with a smoker in a restaurant, it started off as “ can you please blow your smoke in another direction" and ended up with him wanting to beat me up because I objected to smoke ruining my meal.

Selfish prick.

Im a non smoker but do you get into arguments with motorists too? You will be breathing far more smoke from them than you ever will from smokers

I don't think that's the case.

Singapore airport have tight security. I also have friends who bring in

Duty free alcohol from Africa and England.

It just seems to apply to Thailand, I'm not sure why.

Regards

Will

You can't buy duty free alcohol before your last leg into Australia. ie you can't buy duty free at Heathrow when you have a stop over in Singapore.

duty free liquids, aerosols and gels purchased at the airport and delivered to the boarding gate for the passenger. No other duty free will be permitted (e.g. duty free purchased at Heathrow will not be permitted through Singapore)

http://www.travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/dutyfree_to.aspx

There are also some countries that you can't buy duty free and take it on the plane with you.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/traveller-tips/battle-to-get-dutyfree-bottles-on-board-20101111-17ox6.html

You definately CANNOT take duty free alcohol from Thailand to Australia. Many posters on here have stated that and it is true.

Every time I have flown directly from Thailand to Aus duty free has refused to sell me the alcohol, they simply ask where I am going and when I tell them to Aus they tell me I cannot take it.

When I have a connecting flight like in KL to Aus I can buy in KL to take.

So please stop the nonsense about limits and carry on etc. You CANNOT buy duty free booze in Thailand to take to Aus.

Thats correct^
  • Like 1

Selfish prick.

If you are a non smoker why did you sit down in an area where smoking is allowed. Just sayin'

Everyone has the choice.

• Like 1

Selfish prick.

If you are a non smoker why did you sit down in an area where smoking is allowed. Just sayin'

Everyone has the choice.

Isn't smoking illegal in restaurants?

• Like 1

Selfish prick.

Everyone has the choice.

I don't know the official line but understand it to be that if the restaurant is open roofed without air-con then smoking can be allowed. Say Gullivers in Pattaya where it's no smoking inside,(good idea by the way) and has a smoking area outside (also a good idea).

Only my understanding, not set in stone.

Selfish prick.

Everyone has the choice.

If that was the case in that particular restaurant then the prudent way to deal with it is to ask the owner/manager to talk to the person. If that person has been allowed to smoke then tough titties to you. I don't see why smokers should have to move and be herded anywhere because you decide to sit near them. YOU have a choice, move.

BTW, I don't smoke but the smokers don't bother me unless there are a lot of them and in a very confined space. I would NEVER go into a place where the management allows smoking and then complain because I don't like it. If they are allowed then it is up to me to move.

If that was the case in that particular restaurant then the prudent way to deal with it is to ask the owner/manager to talk to the person. If that person has been allowed to smoke then tough titties to you. I don't see why smokers should have to move and be herded anywhere because you decide to sit near them. YOU have a choice, move.

BTW, I don't smoke but the smokers don't bother me unless there are a lot of them and in a very confined space. I would NEVER go into a place where the management allows smoking and then complain because I don't like it. If they are allowed then it is up to me to move.

IF it is illegal to smoke in the restaurant, then the management shouldn't allow smoking. Smokers shouldn't have to move because they shouldn't be smoking.

Interesting philosophic position - the person following the law should inconvenience himself to accommodate the law-breaker.

A logical extension of that position is anarchy.

A couple of questions for the poster:

1. if it is your first time at a restaurant, how are you to know the management is happy to break the law, and allow smoking?

2. if you are half way through your meal, and a group of smokers turn up at an adjacent table, what should you do? For me, quietly acquiescing and moving to a different table is not an option.

But getting back on topic - the Oz government has made the very sensible decision to allow only 50 death sticks to be imported duty free under passenger concessions. Hopefully in the not too distant future, this will be reduced to 0 - at least for returning natives, who should know the law.

And you definitely can't smoke in restaurants - at least in the state I hail from. Not a decision the restaurant owner needs to ponder - he will be heavily fined, as will the smoker.

Edited by jackspratt