Dumb Farang Broad.

rene123

Congrats on your successful climb, rene123.

Today was International Children's Day.

The military bases here in LOS are open to everyone this one day, and the shopping malls are packed with parents and their children.

So everyone with a vehicle and a child was on the road today. Saw more than a few single moms with small kids on motorsai, all bundled up in ski fleece, with balloons and toys.

Of course here in CM, it is obligatory for every resident to drive up Doi Suthep to the Wat for any holiday event.

Hence the blockade at Canal Rd for Huay Kaew Rd.

I made the mistake of driving (not riding) to Tesco Hang Dong and Rimping Nim Daily mid-morning, and got slammed coming back to my apt on Huay Kaew.

And yeah, I know all the back routes, but they were at a standstill as well.

Chinese New Year on the horizon, and many other holiday events to follow....shock1.gif

And the zoo.

Rene, there are other trails up the mountain that don't start from HK road.

Here are some from the Waterfall Coffee shop behind Wat Doi Kham

I've hiked up and down all the trails on Doi Sutthep, but thanks for the information anyway. I don't care for the easier ones. I'm making some of my own and opening up some of the old ones, along with an elderly Canadian friend of mine. For the first time since I started the project I ran into a few Thais hiking on the trails I've improved. Being surrounded my nature with nobody else but butterflies and birds is pretty special when you live so close to a big city. It reminds me of the north shore mountains of west Vancouver where I grew up as a child... only a lot warmer and drier.

Congrats on your successful climb, rene123.

Today was International Children's Day.

The military bases here in LOS are open to everyone this one day, and the shopping malls are packed with parents and their children.

So everyone with a vehicle and a child was on the road today. Saw more than a few single moms with small kids on motorsai, all bundled up in ski fleece, with balloons and toys.

Of course here in CM, it is obligatory for every resident to drive up Doi Suthep to the Wat for any holiday event.

Hence the blockade at Canal Rd for Huay Kaew Rd.

I made the mistake of driving (not riding) to Tesco Hang Dong and Rimping Nim Daily mid-morning, and got slammed coming back to my apt on Huay Kaew.

And yeah, I know all the back routes, but they were at a standstill as well.

Chinese New Year on the horizon, and many other holiday events to follow....shock1.gif

Thank you for the information, mcgriffith. That would explain the pickup trucks filled with bicycles and balloons. Sure glad I was on a scooter and not in a car. I'm going to have to get to know a Thai friend who can make me aware of Thai holidays so I can avoid them. It would also show why you are concerned about the crazy traffic in your area.

I'm going to have to get to know a Thai friend who can make me aware of Thai holidays so I can avoid them. It would also show why you are concerned about the crazy traffic in your area.

If you don't have it yet you can download the 2013 Thaivisa Calendar with all holidays on them. Includes public (government) and observed days such as children's day.

• Like 2

I came expecting I knew not quite what, not realising that the title of the thread was a self-assessment. wink.png

I have to admit when I saw the title I thought I was going to have to have a 'word' with the member. biggrin.png

And what changed your mind? rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

And the zoo.

Rene, there are other trails up the mountain that don't start from HK road.

Here are some from the Waterfall Coffee shop behind Wat Doi Kham

I've hiked up and down all the trails on Doi Sutthep, but thanks for the information anyway. I don't care for the easier ones. I'm making some of my own and opening up some of the old ones, along with an elderly Canadian friend of mine. For the first time since I started the project I ran into a few Thais hiking on the trails I've improved. Being surrounded my nature with nobody else but butterflies and birds is pretty special when you live so close to a big city. It reminds me of the north shore mountains of west Vancouver where I grew up as a child... only a lot warmer and drier.

good for you. Feels better when you can be a part of the answer not just a user of it.

Keep up the good work.

I came expecting I knew not quite what, not realising that the title of the thread was a self-assessment. wink.png

I have to admit when I saw the title I thought I was going to have to have a 'word' with the member. biggrin.png

Ha Ha maybe the member should have a word with all of us.smile.png

I'm going to have to get to know a Thai friend who can make me aware of Thai holidays so I can avoid them. It would also show why you are concerned about the crazy traffic in your area.

If you don't have it yet you can download the 2013 Thaivisa Calendar with all holidays on them. Includes public (government) and observed days such as children's day.

I learned a long time ago in public speaking that first you have to catch the audience's attention. After that you only have to be polite.

Thanks for the calendar. I'll save it where I won't lose it, and refer to it when I plan anything.

Great calendar as always.

I noticed Chakri Day falls on Sat 6th April so the Monday 8th is a substitute holiday. The first of the 3 days of Songkran 1507619.GIF falls on Sat 13th so Tuesday & Wednesday are substitute holidays.

There are going to be a lot of people taking time off from the 6th right through to the 18th I would think?

Congratulations on a misleading and pointless original post.

You mean like 90% of the posts on thaivisa? Or, maybe I should have made ANOTHER review of some cafe or restaurant. And, what brilliant post have you made recently?

• Like 1

Before I started wacking and chopping the old monk's trail was almost overgrown and barely passable. Now I've got it to the top of one of the mountains

I hope you will say hello when you meet me on the trails with my big chopper smile.png

You mean like 90% of the posts on thaivisa? Or, maybe I should have made ANOTHER review of some cafe or restaurant. And, what brilliant post have you made recently?

You somehow manage to mention in every post that you hike up Doi Suthep. This time you had to start a thread about it, but disguised the topic as something more interesting/juicy. Maybe you need attention.

You somehow manage to mention in every post that you hike up Doi Suthep. This time you had to start a thread about it, but disguised the topic as something more interesting/juicy. Maybe you need attention.

Actually, when I post something I actually THINK about what the replies might be. I was actually interested in what the event was that was causing all the traffic. I could have made a simple boring question, but instead I disguised it in a "baiting" header. The mods reply served as a valuable answer to all of us. For that purpose alone it was a valuable topic. I'm sorry if I bore you, but you can always just ignore my posts.

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't be getting into it with someone who wields a brush axe. Whatever that is.

Don't worry, the opportunity will come along. Let's wait for the Chang Brigade getting back to their keyboards tonight. ;)

• Like 1

What you are doing is illegal in a National Park.
I know that. I never follow the "silly" rules in Canada either. If the Thai forest patrol or park rangers were doing their job then I wouldn't have to. It's sort of like the Thai police. If they were doing their job then there would not be so many problems in Thai traffic. It's sort of like the Thai police. If they were doing their job then there would not be so many problems in Thai traffic. Edited by rene123
  • Like 1

Oh? Does it feature a 'Mod of the month'?

Rene's Miss January (easily recognised by the brush axe and hiking boots)

Well done by the way rene. I'm starting a petition as we speak to have the trail renamed Farang Broad Alley.

• Like 1

What you are doing is illegal in a National Park.
I know that. I never follow the "silly" rules in Canada either. If the Thai forest patrol or park rangers were doing their job then I wouldn't have to. It's sort of like the Thai police. If they were doing their job then there would not be so many problems in Thai traffic. It's sort of like the Thai police. If they were doing their job then there would not be so many problems in Thai traffic.

Ok...didn't know it was a national park before my last post.....then it is even worse and with an attitude.

Leave the jungle to overgrow and reclaim... especially when there is already plenty of trails as stated.....let alone the horrid response of 'making some of my own'......how incredibly irresponsible.