Building A Wall Around My Newly Acquired Property

mascarakatze

I just priced a cinder block wall around my property . 2M high 250 linear meters around the property. Finished and painted on both sides. The quote was 2,000 Baht per linear meter. That takes a chunk out of my building the house.

Do they have chain linked fencing at the various building supply shops and does anyone have experience with this. I'm looking for security for the property bot necessarily aesthetics

Link fencing barbed wire at top, then plant crawlers everywhere. When constructing house run pipes for the grey water to plants

looks horrible to start with but once done looks awesome very natural. Barbed wire on top amongst the bushes stops any Herbert's from trying to push through

Don't know what happened with my previous post mods please remove it.

All it was is I was wondering if there would be a big price difference if it was not painted. Seems to me cinder block would need a lot of paint.

Edited by hellodolly

The quote is about right. We paid about 1200 per metre for a 2m wall rendered one side and with no painting 3 years ago and that was considered a good price. One problem with painting is that you are creating a maintenance problem going forward - the paint (even the best stuff with mould inhibitor) goes black in places and then looks worse than the rendering. If the wall is in shade you can grow a little ivy-like plant on it which looks great, otherwise a season's growth of well chosen plants will go a long way towards hiding it and you'll never notice the grey colour.

Chain link or barbed wire concealed by a hedge of some kind is probably the cheapest but all of these methods only keep out the lazy intruder. A simple ladder and an accomplice in a pickup or a pair of bolt cutters and a hand saw will defeat any of them in just a few minutes. We went for a multi strand barbed wire fence in the middle of a hedge in the end.

The quote is about right. We paid about 1200 per metre for a 2m wall rendered one side and with no painting 3 years ago and that was considered a good price. One problem with painting is that you are creating a maintenance problem going forward - the paint (even the best stuff with mould inhibitor) goes black in places and then looks worse than the rendering. If the wall is in shade you can grow a little ivy-like plant on it which looks great, otherwise a season's growth of well chosen plants will go a long way towards hiding it and you'll never notice the grey colour.

Chain link or barbed wire concealed by a hedge of some kind is probably the cheapest but all of these methods only keep out the lazy intruder. A simple ladder and an accomplice in a pickup or a pair of bolt cutters and a hand saw will defeat any of them in just a few minutes. We went for a multi strand barbed wire fence in the middle of a hedge in the end.

Yes, any wall etc will only keep out the opportunistic thief. The only real answer is good security on the house itself, coupled with a wall or hedge etc to make it more difficult to break in. Speed is usually the essence of theft, and anything that hinders speed may deter any but the most committed thief..

I had to erect a temporary wall alongside the house when drainage construction removed our existing fence, but a thief could still climb over the gate at front or back of the house.

Like they say, locks are only for honest people.

Are house break ins really that common? Just an honest question?

Well, my house had the storeroom broken into and a lot of stuff nicked for sale ( they didn't take good stuff with no resale value ). Only reason they didn't get into the house was that I had just put a strong padlock on the door. Unfortunately, I hadn't upgraded the storeroom door lock.

Since then, I've upgraded the storeroom lock, added bars and extra locks to the back door, and a padlock to the internal hall door.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

How much for a couple of aggressive dogs ?

About 2000 roubles should cover it......!

Seriously though, most burglars could shin over a two metre wall easily so what's the point unless you plan to have searchlights and machine gun enplacement towers as well?

Edited by bigbamboo