Is It Colder This Year Than Last?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what its worth, seems abnormally warm in BKK. Only a few nts Ive needed a blanket and that was wee hours.

We were recently in Luang Prabang and Moung Noi. Yes, chill! But I recall years ago being in Udomxai in Transit. Both there and points north frigid and easily below 0C. Lao seemed mild in eves.

Chiang Mai declares 18 districts disaster zones

The province has recorded its lowest temperatures in years during the past 5 days

Does the government have it all wrong then?

This is what it's all about -

"The province is requesting an additional budget worth 42 million baht to secure winter gear and relief packages."

That was precisely my inclination when reading so many on-the-ground reports contradicting it.

Must admit, that's exactly the thought I had. Pretty sad that we automatically think that way isn't it?

This season is called WINTER! Next question (about rain season, hot season or ..... omg)

I know it's "winter". That wasn't my question. Perhaps you could read the OP.

Ah yes, the original question was: "Please look up Chiang Mai weather reports for me." wink.png

Taking December, the mean temperature for December 2012 was 24.3 degrees C. That's 3.2 degrees (!) above normal. Comparing with December 2011 (last year, as per the OP), the mean temperature for December 2011 was 23.1. Also above average, but 1.2 degrees lower than this year.

We'll have to wait a couple weeks for January data. In general temperatures seem to be higher, by relatively a lot; I can't find a single month with mean temperatures below average, since March/April/May 2011.

http://www.joelandchoom.net/tmdsummaries.html

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This season is called WINTER! Next question (about rain season, hot season or ..... omg)

I know it's "winter". That wasn't my question. Perhaps you could read the OP.

Ah yes, the original question was: "Please look up Chiang Mai weather reports for me." wink.png

Taking December, the mean temperature for December 2012 was 24.3 degrees C. That's 3.2 degrees (!) above normal. Comparing with December 2011 (last year, as per the OP), the mean temperature for December 2011 was 23.1. Also above average, but 1.2 degrees lower than this year.

We'll have to wait a couple weeks for January data. In general temperatures seem to be higher, by relatively a lot; I can't find a single month with mean temperatures below average, since March/April/May 2011.

http://www.joelandch...dsummaries.html

Hmmmm. I don't live in Chiang Mai and I'm quite capable of using google to get stats.

I was actually asking for people's opinions.

Thanks anyway.

Like it...just like "ome....

Actually wore a jacket(Korean military with badges ,,bought in 15 kms market) this morning when I went out to feed a couple of brass monkeys that have taken up residence behind the house....strange creatures??....but at least the tigers have vanished somewhere.

3 in one anybody...

I agree with Tywais

I also agree. It is much warmer than a normal cool season.

Agree with UG and all the others. Very mild winter so far. We still use the A/C during the day at home and in the car. Many windows open all night. Only had to wear a jacket once or twice so far.

Same here, have the windows open and the fan on me all night. The nights and days are very warm

Thaibeachlover.... It seems like an average year, but I do have to say that we hit 9 degrees C two mornings in a row last week with last week being colder than normal up here in Mae Taeng. Looks like we might be out of the cold season as it is a balmy 15 this morning. We haven't used a fan or AC for almost two months now.

Average Weather For Chiang Mai, Thailand

Bummer sad.png

I guess it is all uphill from here Temp wise.

I had hoped it might be usual for the cool to stay till end of Feb or so.

There is no way of knowing. It's weather.

As I said already back in November, periods of cool weather happen in 'cold snaps' which are most common in December and January and early Feb, but any given week in those months can be quite balmy. That does not mean that it therefore stays warm all the way through. That's like taking a week of sunny weather in London in June, and then saying it'll therefore be sunny all the way through to September. If only it worked like that.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

At the moment ( 2055 ), I've got the fan on, so perhaps the cold snap is over.

Definitely felt colder to me than last year though, while it lasted. Made getting a more powerful water heater worth while.

I have the air conditioner on inside, it's hot.

Definitely felt colder to me than last year though, while it lasted. Made getting a more powerful water heater worth while.

You must be in the concrete city. Up here in Mae Taeng, we wore our coats at lunch (11:30 AM) as the breeze was so cool.
  • Like 1

You must be in the concrete city. Up here in Mae Taeng, we wore our coats at lunch (11:30 AM) as the breeze was so cool.

San Sai

San Sai

Concrete jungle of a housing project?

Not to mention also incredibly clear for the time of year. Could see Doi Inthanon (yes, Doi Inthanon) from downtown. That's 60 kms (as the crow flies) visibility.

In combination with the cool and sunny weather, that makes right now the absolute best weather that Chiang Mai has to offer.

post-64232-0-36590400-1359247322_thumb.j

(Sun is setting behind Doi Inthanon this time of year).

Oh, and that's Chiang Mai rush hour.

Isn't life terrible.

Using the Jumper test when teeing off at golf at first light It is definitely colder this year than last.

Had to wear a Jumper only 2 or 3 times last year. This year almost a dozen times this month.

Soon warms up though.

Edited by Thailand

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt but Channel 3 news talked of strong winds and rain between now and the end on the month all over the North and Isaan, 3-5°C as well - though the temperature may have just been on Doi Inthanon, did not catch the location.

Odd, but this afternoon whilst reading, I actually had to put a pair of thick socks on to keep my tootsies warm (in the city), First time that's happened during the day, usually just early mornings. Definitely coldish in the shade, but it's a pleasant kind of cold. I'm quite enjoying it.