Buyers Of Pre-Paid S I M Cards Must Be Registered: Nbct

webfact

Buyers of pre-paid SIMs must be registered: NBTC

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has ordered all telecom operators to register customers, who buy new pre-paid mobile phone SIM cards from January 18 onwards in order to regulate the pre-paid SIM cards.

NBTC secretary general Takorn Tantasit said Monday that the operators would face punitive measures if they fail to comply with the order.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-15

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! These Thais! They are something else. They've decided to register SIM cards. How clever. Now we can read in Thai Visa Forum in 6 months how this "scheme" paid off. They will smoke out a petty thief who was "foolish" enough to use a SIM card cell that was register to himself. That will teach them , those petty thieves, that Thais are to be reckoned with. They are something else - those Thais!

• Like 2

It was made law several years ago but enforcement was only extended to Southern Border Region with other regions a will register if you wish situation.

yes, prepaid unregister cards in sothern 3 provinces will not work, they will work elsewhere in Thailand, but stop working when they get down there.

A few years ago when they started it I went to 7/11 thinking I was going to get asked for passport,

but no, and never have been. Why, I think because of the lack of English.

Just pretend you don't speak Thai and they won't ask you.

And if they ask just go to another 7/11 there are 7 just in my small street.

But then again I have about 7 sims already so what difference is it going to make plus it doesn't change anything to me getting a 100 baht top up card.

Thailand is "The Land of Creative Enertia"

BTW

Mr T is using NBTC for a bribe hunt again with a voucher scheme for new digital TV subscribers.

Around 22 million he is expecting . This is so Mr.T

Edited by LindsayBKK

Lol everyone around here is so cynical. This has been the process in Australia for over 10 years for prepaid SIMs. The process is quite streamlined now and you're in the system with no wait. I'm sure it helps to curb a bit of crime, but obviously wouldn't stop everything. I'm sure this is the process in many other countries too.

• Like 1

Lol everyone around here is so cynical. This has been the process in Australia for over 10 years for prepaid SIMs. The process is quite streamlined now and you're in the system with no wait. I'm sure it helps to curb a bit of crime, but obviously wouldn't stop everything. I'm sure this is the process in many other countries too.

Has been the case in Singapore for several years!

• Like 1

A few years ago when they started it I went to 7/11 thinking I was going to get asked for passport,

but no, and never have been. Why, I think because of the lack of English.

Just pretend you don't speak Thai and they won't ask you.

And if they ask just go to another 7/11 there are 7 just in my small street.

But then again I have about 7 sims already so what difference is it going to make plus it doesn't change anything to me getting a 100 baht top up card.

Thailand is "The Land of Creative Enertia"

BTW

Mr T is using NBTC for a bribe hunt again with a voucher scheme for new digital TV subscribers.

Around 22 million he is expecting . This is so Mr.T

In fairness, in a 7-11, they track the sale and then activation through the invoice. This is how they managed to nab the woman who killed her husband in Khon Kaen recently. They matched the secutiry video with the moment of sale and activation.

Of course, now cue the sales person at the till ending up being the owner of 1000's of sim cards potentially.

In other parts of the world, you have to go online with some ID to activate, so unless they have a central database that ALL the companies put the information into, all they are going to end up with is a massive amount of paper and little way to search it. Infact, all rather like the TM cards for the tourists. Where do they keep all of those bits of paper? Is it visible from space yet?

Like others have said, this is done in a number of other countries (including Singapore,which knows what it's doing in terms of security matters ... a huge target in this part of the world, and so far not a problem, knock on wood). So why use this as another excuse to slam Thailand and Thais? If Singapore, Australia, Canada, etc., all see this as a reasonable requirement, can't really hold Thailand to task for it.

NBTC tells mobile phone operators to scrap expiration date on prepaid users

BANGKOK, 15 January 2013 (NNT) - The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has designated January 18th as the deadline for mobile phone operators to stop imposing expiration dates on prepaid mobile credits. The NBTC has called five mobile phone operators, namely TOT, CAT Telecom, AIS, DTAC, and True Move to a meeting to hear the new regulations.

In order to ensure consumers of their benefits, NBTC Secretary-General Takorn Tantasit announced that expiration dates for prepaid users have to be scrapped starting on the date specified. Failing to do so, the operators will face a fine. The NBTC is looking into an appropriate expiration timeframe, but said it should not be less than 30 days. Pending the NBTC’s consideration, no expiration dates could be set.

In addition, mobile phone operators are also urged to have all of their prepaid users register for the service. From January 18th onwards, people who acquire a prepaid mobile number must present their identification cards to register their designated numbers under their names.

The NBTC has also set the ceiling price for voice calls at 99 satang per minute. Operators who are still charging over 99 satang per minute in some packages are urged to change the rate. Mobile phone users are advised to call Hotline 1200 to report cases of non-compliance by the private sector.

Currently there are 73 million prepaid customers or 90% of all mobile phone users.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-01-15 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Never had to register and never will. Why would I even want to give my ID information to some company? How does it benefit me?

In Indonesia it's the sales person that activates the sim for you, on his or her own name. My guess is the same would happen here. After I bought a 3G modem, also in Indo, I had to activate that myself. I simply filled in a false name and passport number. The months after I was happily online anonymously. This whole registration nonsense is nothing but a time waister for a lot of people who, again, benefit in no way from it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NBTC tells mobile phone operators to scrap expiration date on prepaid users

BANGKOK, 15 January 2013 (NNT) - The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has designated January 18th as the deadline for mobile phone operators to stop imposing expiration dates on prepaid mobile credits. The NBTC has called five mobile phone operators, namely TOT, CAT Telecom, AIS, DTAC, and True Move to a meeting to hear the new regulations.

In order to ensure consumers of their benefits, NBTC Secretary-General Takorn Tantasit announced that expiration dates for prepaid users have to be scrapped starting on the date specified. Failing to do so, the operators will face a fine. The NBTC is looking into an appropriate expiration timeframe, but said it should not be less than 30 days. Pending the NBTC’s consideration, no expiration dates could be set.

In addition, mobile phone operators are also urged to have all of their prepaid users register for the service. From January 18th onwards, people who acquire a prepaid mobile number must present their identification cards to register their designated numbers under their names.

The NBTC has also set the ceiling price for voice calls at 99 satang per minute. Operators who are still charging over 99 satang per minute in some packages are urged to change the rate. Mobile phone users are advised to call Hotline 1200 to report cases of non-compliance by the private sector.

Currently there are 73 million prepaid customers or 90% of all mobile phone users.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-01-15 footer_n.gif

Excellent and about time.

I'd been out of Thailand for 4 months and the phone worked abroad.

However I lost the number on my return to Bangkok.

It made it very difficult for me to be found and picked up by the Thai driver!!!

I bought my pre-paid SIM in 2006 from a 7/11 store in Bangkok - I was asked to show my passport details and my passport number was recorded; so as far as I know, I'm registered.

One benefit is if you lose your phone, you can get the same number back.

I registered both my SIMs, and the system works - got mine reissued when I lost it or was pick-pocketed (Maybe?).

• Like 1

Had to register (or rather, had some details taken) when I got the number way back. Was too much hassle for the guy in the shop, so ended up using my wife's id.

Doubt it will do the Thai authorities much good fighting terrorists, but it does add more user id's to be sold off to other companies - getting way more sms and calls with commercial offers on that one.

Unless my memory is failing I'm sure this measure was introduced a number of years ago after terrorists in the south were using mobile 'phones to detonate explosives.

That was what came to my mind after reading it.wai2.gif

I got a new number less then a year ago, but no reg. of course

It is going to get SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO busy at the police stationlock.gif , with all the people getting a report made out, because there phone was stolen, well the simcard.

Be sure to report stolen simcards, because your simcard has been used in a crime. 100% proof you as a farang did the crime.crazy.gif

• Like 1