Is This Place Strange? Truck Prices, New Vs Other

Awohalitsiktoli

Well, I went to the local Toyota dealership yesterday and asked about new (2013) truck prices. For one model the guy said 765000 baht--new, 2013. Out of curiosity I asked him if they still had 2012 models. He said "yes." I asked him how much that would cost. He said, "the same as the 2013 model." Does anybody else find that strange? What incentive is there to buy the 2012 model? In terms of economic thinking, this place never ceases to amaze me :)

Not really sure what your point is...maybe the MSRP for both model years is the same. In a sellers' market like the Thai vehicle market, there is little to no incentive for any sort of discount at the dealer end to offer any discount from list price to sell a vehicle. Nev ceases to amaze me how many vehicle buyers don't seem to understand the dynamics of the local vehicle market.

In Thailand, there is a shortage of vehicles for sale...in Europe and north America, the market is awash in excess production capacity and a paucity of buyers. Therefore, massive discounts and incentives on most models and immediate delivery.

Not really sure what your point is...maybe the MSRP for both model years is the same. In a sellers' market like the Thai vehicle market, there is little to no incentive for any sort of discount at the dealer end to offer any discount from list price to sell a vehicle. Nev ceases to amaze me how many vehicle buyers don't seem to understand the dynamics of the local vehicle market.

In Thailand, there is a shortage of vehicles for sale...in Europe and north America, the market is awash in excess production capacity and a paucity of buyers. Therefore, massive discounts and incentives on most models and immediate delivery.

In Thailand, there is a shortage of vehicles for sale

why?

There is one of the fortuna models that we recently inquired about and was told that they get only 1 per month. How a dealership can survive on only getting stock of 1 of a particular model in their lineup per month is beyond me.

why?

Strong economic growth....virtually no unemployment...population not too burdened by excessive debt (yet) or high taxes = strong demand for vehicles...combined with a limited number of manufacturing plants and extremely high taxes on imported cars keeps the market tight.

So why are there so many second-hand car places in Pattaya apparently overloaded with used cars?

"What incentive is there to buy the 2012 model?"

The 2012 model may be in stock. The 2013 model will probably have some waiting time (maybe a lot of waiting time).

Just because the price is quoted, don't assume that it is written in stone. You have to work very hard to get a discount out of car dealer here, but it can be done.

But is there any difference, between the 2012 and 2013 model? Some trucks dont change from one year to the next. I dont think most motor bikes change either, so you only know what year it was registered in, but not the year it was made.

Some manufacturers (e.g.: Toyota) include a metal plate riveted to the engine chassis indicating year and month of production; even if the vehicle is registered 6 months later you know it was on the road a few days or weeks after being shipped out of the factory. Others (e.g. Honda) have the warranty book with the details of the vehicle including date of issuance to the first customer. Again the registration could be delayed many months by using the red "temporary" license plates on the vehicle.