I Go 7, Ok, Honey?

LarryBird

One of my pet peeves is Westerners who talk to other Westerners in pigeon English.

i loathe anyone who uses pidgin period.

It is undignified, unnecessary and insulting

Loathe is quite a strong word.

My friend you. I loathe you attitude duay. Krapom.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least he tries, and will get better, sounds like Thailands not for him.

Actually he's a very very stubborn man and has a very very big ego, he refused to acknowledge that he was the major part of the problem, so he moved on to another Asian country and again (at about 62 - 63 yrs old) immersed himself in another Asian language and he is good at learning languages. Same thing started to happen as soon as he started to speak even simple phrases - local teacher, local people he was interacting with in his accommodation, shopping, etc., couldn't understand what he was saying.

He considered moving back to Thailand but had become very negative about this country ('Thais too lazy to listen'), and went back to his native western country. This is 8 to 10 years back, never returned.

Actually he's a very very stubborn man and has a very very big ego, he refused to acknowledge that he was the major part of the problem, so he moved on to another Asian country and again (at about 62 - 63 yrs old) immersed himself in another Asian language and he is good at learning languages. Same thing started to happen as soon as he started to speak even simple phrases - local teacher, local people he was interacting with in his accommodation, shopping, etc., couldn't understand what he was saying.

He considered moving back to Thailand but had become very negative about this country ('Thais too lazy to listen'), and went back to his native western country. This is 8 to 10 years back, never returned.

Firstly let me point out that I am far from being able to speak Thai. I know words and phrases, but that is about it.

The guy that says 'Thais are to lazy to listen' I can understand where he is coming from.

As an example I have asked for 2 ice coffees in KFC, in those little counters that only sell coffee and ice cream, and the woman couldn't understand what I was saying. Now I'm not saying my tones were perfect, but the words were right. Why couldn't she fill in the gaps? Cafe yin, song. It's not like I'm asking something random is it?

• Like 1

Firstly let me point out that I am far from being able to speak Thai. I know words and phrases, but that is about it.

The guy that says 'Thais are to lazy to listen' I can understand where he is coming from.

As an example I have asked for 2 ice coffees in KFC, in those little counters that only sell coffee and ice cream, and the woman couldn't understand what I was saying. Now I'm not saying my tones were perfect, but the words were right. Why couldn't she fill in the gaps? Cafe yin, song. It's not like I'm asking something random is it?

Maybe she got thrown off when you asked her "can you hear the coffee?"

Just kidding, i agree, they don't always put much effort into joining the dots.

it is kinda weird.. like, what the hell else could you have been ordering??? yen, not yin, btw, though..

One of my pet peeves is Westerners who talk to other Westerners in pigeon English.

Truth be told, they're probably just happy to finally be able to settle at the level of communication they would be at in the west if it weren't for pesky school teachers and employers.

Well that's a different point.

I was sharing about a man who studied Thai seriously for about 10 or 12 years at university and at several other institutes, in fact it became an obsession and occupied much of his time. He comes from a country (not going to reveal the name) where Asian languages are available at universities. He completed several such programs. He knew the vocabulary, knew the construction / grammar and knew the correct tones to use, he knew all of this backwards and has passed several exams with flying colours.

His deep gutteral tone from his original European language (no criticizism intended) was what made it difficult for the Thais to understand what he was saying and friends had told him hundreds of times to try to speak more clearly. He refused to acknowledge that he was difficult to understand.

Further when he speaks English you have to listen very carefully to catch all of the words.

Two iced coffees. You say the words were correct but maybe the tone....

Well you could say that if the tone is wrong then it's a different word - so therefore the word you have spoken is not the correct word.

Like any tonal language in any country, Thais cannot (if the tone is wrong) guess what you are trying to say. Fact of life.

Maybe she got thrown off when you asked her "can you hear the coffee?"

Just kidding, i agree, they don't always put much effort into joining the dots.

Agreed - A while ago I realised that sometimes the misunderstanding isn't all down to me.

Sometimes I can have good conversation with a taxi driver etc.. I know my accent isn't perfect but sometimes the people I speak with have the ability to flick on the 'Understand the Foreign accent switch'

Listening is a skill and some people simply don't have it.

Numerous times I've seen the wrong order brought out for my Wife when I have clearly understood what she wanted.

I've had my Thai translated into Thai by other shop goers in a Mall.

'Some' Thai's are lazy to listen... I very much agree with this phrase, I suspect it is often the source of frustration for many, particularly when speaking within context.

• Like 1

And on Topic - When I hear other foreigners speak pidgin to their wives and friends I cringe.

I don't expect Thai's to speak the equivalent of Pidgin to me.

However, I do expect Thai's to make an effort to speak more slowly and carefully with me, as I attempt to speak more clearly and carefully for Thai's whom I suspect my not have a fluent grasp on my pronunciation.

Edited by richard_smith237

Perhaps there are visitors to Thailand that are impressed the Thai both young and old try to communicate in their language, as such do not feel the urge to deflate their efforts by making incisive corrections.........but I guess this is a very special kind and understanding visitor the like of which appears to be in a minority on this forum. As for speaking pidgin English, yep always, when well pissed, it has always been this way long before Thailand. If you've ever been sober around drunks, you will will understand there are many more offenders than people acknowledge!

I was sharing about a man who studied Thai seriously for about 10 or 12 years at university and at several other institutes, in fact it became an obsession and occupied much of his time. He comes from a country (not going to reveal the name) where Asian languages are available at universities. He completed several such programs. He knew the vocabulary, knew the construction / grammar and knew the correct tones to use, he knew all of this backwards and has passed several exams with flying colours.

His deep gutteral tone from his original European language (no criticizism intended) was what made it difficult for the Thais to understand what he was saying and friends had told him hundreds of times to try to speak more clearly. He refused to acknowledge that he was difficult to understand.

Further when he speaks English you have to listen very carefully to catch all of the words.

Well you could say that if the tone is wrong then it's a different word - so therefore the word you have spoken is not the correct word.

Like any tonal language in any country, Thais cannot (if the tone is wrong) guess what you are trying to say. Fact of life.

Not true, much can be figured out in context, if making a genuine effort. But as someone else pointed out, thais only hear what they want or expect to hear, not what is actually said, most of the time, in my experience this is the case.

-- Just to clarify, my intent with this thread wasn't to take a stab at how Thai people speak English. I think a lot of them do a good job with it, and most speak better English than I speak Thai, so.... It was kind of a light hearted jab at farang speaking to their friends the same way they speak to Thai people.

I caught the gist of the topic right away, LarryBird. I often laugh at myself when using Thai terminology when speaking to farangs. It is just a form of habit. I'm scared what I might say when I go back to Canada. I expect to get some strange looks when I say " Ka pun ka" instead of thankyou.

i would expect some pretty strange looks speaking like that here in Thailand, as it most certainly is not Thai

• Like 2

Not true, much can be figured out in context, if making a genuine effort. But as someone else pointed out, thais only hear what they want or expect to hear, not what is actually said, most of the time, in my experience this is the case.

Bearing in mind the wrong tone completely changes the word how much would you figure out if someone said to you I bought a wood car versus I bought a new car? A lot of Westerners don't realise that Thais already make an effort by speaking to us at kindergarten level as it is.

Some Thais have experience in talking with Westerners some don't and much like some of us refuse to dumb it down or perform word puzzles in their head - but hey double standards roxxers my boxers eh!

-- Just to clarify, my intent with this thread wasn't to take a stab at how Thai people speak English. I think a lot of them do a good job with it, and most speak better English than I speak Thai, so.... It was kind of a light hearted jab at farang speaking to their friends the same way they speak to Thai people.

I caught the gist of the topic right away, LarryBird. I often laugh at myself when using Thai terminology when speaking to farangs. It is just a form of habit. I'm scared what I might say when I go back to Canada. I expect to get some strange looks when I say " Ka pun ka" instead of thankyou.

i would expect some pretty strange looks speaking like that here in Thailand, as it most certainly is not Thai

http://www.yelp.co.u...kapunka-paris coffee1.gif

Unlucky, lots of Farang male don't understand more than 'helllo sexy men'. So google takes it, as mentioned : Kapunkagiggle.gif

Edited by noob7

Bearing in mind the wrong tone completely changes the word how much would you figure out if someone said to you I bought a wood car versus I bought a new car? A lot of Westerners don't realise that Thais already make an effort by speaking to us at kindergarten level as it is.

Some Thais have experience in talking with Westerners some don't and much like some of us refuse to dumb it down or perform word puzzles in their head - but hey double standards roxxers my boxers eh!

Yes, well...how many times have I heard "you were king....saakoon"? But we become accustomed to it and are able to figure it out. The same can be said of tones.

• Like 1

Anyway I know it's an often made mistake; that's why it's a pet-preeve, so bare with me.

I Googled it before I used it and a number of sources claim that both spellings are correct, although the "pidgin" spelling is more common.

http://en.wikipedia...._Pidgin_English

pidg'n, when properly spelled and pidgin or pidgon,

not no good brah, pidg'n is much more bedda.

biggrin.png

Sorry, i couldnt help myself.

I have a Thai language book which states 'do not expect the Thai people to understand that which you are attempting to communicate in the Thai language if the tones are not correct, they have very little imagination when it comes to language'. I have generally found this to be frustratingly true. Edited by evanson
  • Like 1

just wonder why some thai girls (don't know many thai guys so can't compare) completely ignore the plurals not adding "s"

and i mean "educated" girls from bkk who use english often or even those living many years abroad they still avoid the "s",

not just when they speak which would be understandable as they can't pronounce it but also when they write.

just wonder why some thai girls (don't know many thai guys so can't compare) completely ignore the plurals not adding "s"

and i mean "educated" girls from bkk who use english often or even those living many years abroad they still avoid the "s",

not just when they speak which would be understandable as they can't pronounce it but also when they write.

Sheer laziness!

I am SO sorry I didn't spell it properly for you, kerfuffle. I was trying to be humorous, but some people don't recognize humour if it hits them in the face. I suppose you are one of those people who don't recognize "falong" instead of the more proper term, "farang" . I've yet to hear ANY Thai say "farang".

So, just for you, I expect I might get some strange looks in Canada if I say "Kawp koon, ka" instead of thankyou.