Phuket First Person: Taxi Greed Still In Driver's Seat - Iain Barnes

webfact

Whenever I have to go to Phuket (and I don't go very often, because I loathe the island for all the reasons that are all too frequently published in the media), I deploy a neat little trick that has often worked wonders. As soon as I get into a metered taxi and the vehicle has started moving, I demonstratively (so the driver does notice it) pull out a note pad and copy the license plate number, the driver's registration number, as well as his name (or whatever relevant info I can get). Without saying anything I then put the note pad back in my bag or pocket. Some of the drivers ask why I did that. I don't respond and only smile. Nine out of ten drivers don't try any shenanigans after that.

If the driver nevertheless starts demanding more than the metered fare, I deploy my heavy artillery in the form of my Thai government-issued press card. I hold it up in front of their nose. It mentions (in Thai script, obviously) that it's been issued by the Prime Minister's Office. Pulling that one miraculously transforms even the nastiest, scammiest cabbie into the nicest person you've ever met. Admittedly, I am fortunate to have that card and this trick won't be of any help to a 'normal' visitor of Phuket. But try the approach I mentioned at the beginning. It might work for you also. At least you're showing the driver that you cannot be taken for a fool and know the law.

Where can we get a copy of the press card.......surely there must be plenty of sources...TIT

Whenever I have to go to Phuket (and I don't go very often, because I loathe the island for all the reasons that are all too frequently published in the media), I deploy a neat little trick that has often worked wonders. As soon as I get into a metered taxi and the vehicle has started moving, I demonstratively (so the driver does notice it) pull out a note pad and copy the license plate number, the driver's registration number, as well as his name (or whatever relevant info I can get). Without saying anything I then put the note pad back in my bag or pocket. Some of the drivers ask why I did that. I don't respond and only smile. Nine out of ten drivers don't try any shenanigans after that.

If the driver nevertheless starts demanding more than the metered fare, I deploy my heavy artillery in the form of my Thai government-issued press card. I hold it up in front of their nose. It mentions (in Thai script, obviously) that it's been issued by the Prime Minister's Office. Pulling that one miraculously transforms even the nastiest, scammiest cabbie into the nicest person you've ever met. Admittedly, I am fortunate to have that card and this trick won't be of any help to a 'normal' visitor of Phuket. But try the approach I mentioned at the beginning. It might work for you also. At least you're showing the driver that you cannot be taken for a fool and know the law.

Where can we get a copy of the press card.......surely there must be plenty of sources...TIT

Khao San Rd.

• Like 1