Phuket First Person: Taxi Greed Still In Driver's Seat - Iain Barnes

webfact

Phuket First Person: Taxi greed still in driver's seat - Iain Barnes

Phuket Gazette

p1.jpg

Each taxi must carry this large sticker on both sides of the vehicle so complaints can be easily lodged about the conduct of the driver.

p2.jpg

British tourist Iain Barnes arrived in Phuket to begin his dream of traveling to Asia while in his twenties – he turns 30 on January 19.

Here, at the start of his trip, Iain describes his "welcome" to Phuket from the taxi touts stationed at the Phuket International Airport.

PHUKET: -- The scene at the airport was bedlam. The taxi drivers were grabbing people; they grabbed my rucksack. They were banging a metal ramp to cause a lot of noise and shouting, "You’ll be here until morning if you don’t take our taxis."

I had read about all of this in the online forums and on the UK embassy website, but I didn’t know anything about the stickers on the taxis or who to call if I had a problem.

The taxi counters were zero help. No one was speaking English, no one was giving basic information. People wanted to charge tons of money for taxi fares. They were charging 1,500 baht to Karon.

I asked the security guards and other people in the terminal if there was any other way to take a taxi, but they just kept saying, "I don’t know."

I finally found the metered taxi stand all the way down at the end of the terminal. There was a bloke behind the counter but he was ignoring everyone, and another bloke outside the desk just kept saying "no, no" and pointing to a sign that said "No taxis". But taxis were slowly picking people up, so I queued.

After ages, the bloke outside the counter gave me a ticket for the next taxi. I told him where I was going. He said it would be about 600 baht, but it depended on the meter.

When I got into the taxi, the driver wouldn’t turn the meter on – he even seemed to be trying to hide it with his hat and a box of tissues.

After all that hassle, I just thought, whatever. I told him where I was staying, though the bloke standing next to the counter obviously had already talked with him. The driver just said, "I know better hotel, you stay there."

Then he drove me to a little random office about five or 10 minutes away from the airport. A bloke came out of the office and told me that his company was partners with the taxis. I didn’t want to get out, but he kept saying I had to get out and come into the office.

As soon as I got out, the driver drove off with my bag.

The man in the office kept telling me I should stay at this other hotel and that he didn’t know where my hotel was, that he had never heard of it.

The battery on my phone was low. I tried to plug it in so I could show him the address, but he wouldn’t let me.

About 10 to 20 minutes later the taxi came back. The driver said he knew where we were going, so I got back in.

I was knackered, so I drifted off to sleep a bit. We finally stopped just past the hotel.

He said it would be 2,000 baht.

I said, "No, the man at the counter said 600 baht", but the driver got aggressive and shouted at me that it was "700 baht more".

I started to get out of the taxi and found that my rucksack was open and stuff fell out everywhere. I think the driver must have opened it when I was sleeping or something, because I never leave my rucksack open.

I realized my phone was gone only after the taxi had left.

Suddenly it dawned on me that if I had paid the 2,000 baht he would have said, "Hey, I found the phone." I believe that he kept the phone because I didn’t pay him the money.

It was a horrible experience, but it hasn’t ruined Phuket for me. I brought spare mobile phones and I had kept my SIM card safe, separate from my phone, so I still have that.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...rnes-19967.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-16

That's was exactly how the scams has been talked here on TV. Almost every bit of it.

Which brings me to a question: NamKangMan, do we have the honor to see you in the above picture? wink.png

Poor guy but unless the airport has gone down hill in a major way over the last few months there should be a mini bus. "They" will tell you it takes forever but I've never waited more than a 10 - 20 minutes. Mind you, depends on the fight time in the early morning and at night the buses don't run.

It's important to do a little research. Not having a print out of the location of the hotel (assuming it was out of the way a little) without a map or not being able to point it out on a map is a bad move. Falling asleep in a taxi that has already started doing dodgy things is also not a good move. Not getting the guys name and number once this started so that he could report the incident (or did he?).

It's always sad to hear stories like this but it seems to me that the whole experience was a little overwhelming and people are always going to take advantage. From the sound of the story he was ripe for the picking. Many of these taxi drivers and tour companies are worse than sharks, sad to say. It's important to keep your wits about your when dealing with them.

You have more calm than me. I would let somebody know, maybe the media!

I think he just did.

Edit:

Oops, Starkey Rich beat me to it! biggrin.png

Edit (again):

Does anyone know if the governor or vice-governor, has an email address?

I could start updating him with these stories...

Edited by JetsetBkk

Same old story. I used to have an investment in a business in Phuket, but I walked away. We need to speak less withour words and more with our dollars. There are plenty of other beaches and islands around Thailand. Let the Russians and Iranians have Phuket. The problem is these guys think people will never stop coming. Bali learned that lesson the hard way, that when pushed people WILL stop coming. One thing there is no shortage of in south east Asia and the pacific rim in general is pretty beaches. Phuket is lost. Let it go.

• Like 1

I guess it's going to be hard to keep your wits about you on your first visit.

Depending on the route taken it could be the end of a few days of hard travelling and jet lagged to boot. I have every sympathy with the OP and hope that he has a good trip and happy birthday.

Not everyone will take advantage of you, there are some good people out there as well and I hopes he meets some during his stay.

Have a great holiday Iain and good luck.

That's was exactly how the scams has been talked here on TV. Almost every bit of it.

Which brings me to a question: NamKangMan, do we have the honor to see you in the above picture? wink.png

Sorry to disappoint, that's not me.

I suppose he's lucky he's not sporting a black eye or a broken nose for this photo. smile.pngsmile.png

I eagerly await his jetski story. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Poor guy but unless the airport has gone down hill in a major way over the last few months there should be a mini bus. "They" will tell you it takes forever but I've never waited more than a 10 - 20 minutes. Mind you, depends on the fight time in the early morning and at night the buses don't run.

It's important to do a little research. Not having a print out of the location of the hotel (assuming it was out of the way a little) without a map or not being able to point it out on a map is a bad move. Falling asleep in a taxi that has already started doing dodgy things is also not a good move. Not getting the guys name and number once this started so that he could report the incident (or did he?).

It's always sad to hear stories like this but it seems to me that the whole experience was a little overwhelming and people are always going to take advantage. From the sound of the story he was ripe for the picking. Many of these taxi drivers and tour companies are worse than sharks, sad to say. It's important to keep your wits about your when dealing with them.

Sounds like a great holiday. :)

I think I may send the PG link for this story to future customers

How are they going to get to your establishment? They have no other options than to be subjected to this, unless you offer airport pick-up for customers, and then you may run the risk of being assaulted.

How are they going to get to your establishment? They have no other options than to be subjected to this, unless you offer airport pick-up for customers, and then you may run the risk of being assaulted.

They can take the taxi / limo offer inside of the terminal?

Bali learnt a lesson due to the bombings not touts or taxi's they are still as obnoxious as ever. But has to be said Phuket guys never personally had an issue with them from the airport.

Bali however is back to being absolutely packed in high season again.

As Oilinki said, they can take a 750 baht taxi, a 200 baht minibus or preferably a pickup. The pickup guys are all from taxi companies in the resort areas and not airport taxis. As yet I am unaware of any problems from the drivers of the 'official' airport taxis and i hope this continues.

As Oilinki said, they can take a 750 baht taxi, a 200 baht minibus or preferably a pickup. The pickup guys are all from taxi companies in the resort areas and not airport taxis. As yet I am unaware of any problems from the drivers of the 'official' airport taxis and i hope this continues.

All the minibuses stop at the agency halfway along where they try to tell them their booked hotel/guest house/hostel is closed, burnt down, no good etc etc. They also try to sell them tours. It's been happening for several years now.

This guy got one of the metered taxis, and even they are up to no good.

There's little hope for getting an honest and professional driver.

Edited by NamKangMan

All the minibuses stop at the agency halfway along where they try to tell them their booked hotel/guest house/hostel is closed, burnt down, no good etc etc. They also try to sell them tours. It's been happening for several years now.

This guy got one of the metered taxis, and even they are up to no good.

There's little hope for getting an honest and professional driver.

That's why we offer pickups. It's not news to me.

But we also cater for the low budget trade who want the cheapest option and if they know the scams then all the better. They are already pre-warned about the taxi office scam and an article like this helps back up what they have already been told.

Sorry to disappoint, that's not me.

I suppose he's lucky he's not sporting a black eye or a broken nose for this photo. smile.pngsmile.png

I eagerly await his jetski story. smile.pngsmile.png

The story probably sounds familiar because it is one I paraphrased here the other day, along with several others, Iain was one of our guests. Honestly we get more people with these kinds of problems than not. You would think getting in a cab and giving the driver the business name and address would be a simple task, but not so here.

The story probably sounds familiar because it is one I paraphrased here the other day, along with several others, Iain was one of our guests. Honestly we get more people with these kinds of problems than not. You would think getting in a cab and giving the driver the business name and address would be a simple task, but not so here.

Congratulations for getting it published. Now when the story is in English speaking media, there is a change that it can spear to other countries as well. That will increase pressure to do something for the situation.

Now when there is already three English newspapers on the island, it's probably not so easy to control all of them.

------

Whoever maintains the http://phukettuktuks.com/ website, the site is a mess currently. Please consider using for example google sites https://sites.google.com/ which is free service to use.

Create general information on it's own page and incidents to each own. You can still use the existing phukettuktuks.com domain name (dns modification needed). I can advice if needed.

Poor guy but unless the airport has gone down hill in a major way over the last few months there should be a mini bus. "They" will tell you it takes forever but I've never waited more than a 10 - 20 minutes.

It can easily take 3+ hours to get to Kata/Rawai area in the shared van. They usually stop off at the notorious tour both to try to get people to book with them a hotel if they haven't, or change hotels if they have. The vans are owned by the same 2 companies that run the "limo" services.

Not getting the guys name and number once this started so that he could report the incident (or did he?).

Nobody does this. They just want to get to their hotel with no trouble. We now advise people to get the name and number and pass it on to us so we can make a complaint when this kind of thing happens. Complaints are so common I now covertly photograph the driver, name on door if there is one, and license plate of all arriving guests taxi's. It's sad that it has gotten to this point but it is really effecting our business. People are telling us they are not coming back to Phuket because of the taxi/tuk tuk problems. Some leaving early never to return as I wrote in the other thread. Reports of drivers grossly overcharging, even threatening passengers when they protest. It's simply a free for all on tourists for the taxi/tuk tuk mafia. Major changes are needed to rectify these problems and I just don't see that happening.

The airport is a disgrace.

Those kiosks in the main carpark are the taxi boss stations. They might look like a shop but its the base for their thuggery.

Go and ask for a taxi at the kiosk and I've picked up a ride back to Kata for 600 because they didnt have to pay the airport or the "desk"

I guess you could call it a black black taxi.

Whenever I have to go to Phuket (and I don't go very often, because I loathe the island for all the reasons that are all too frequently published in the media), I deploy a neat little trick that has often worked wonders. As soon as I get into a metered taxi and the vehicle has started moving, I demonstratively (so the driver does notice it) pull out a note pad and copy the license plate number, the driver's registration number, as well as his name (or whatever relevant info I can get). Without saying anything I then put the note pad back in my bag or pocket. Some of the drivers ask why I did that. I don't respond and only smile. Nine out of ten drivers don't try any shenanigans after that.

If the driver nevertheless starts demanding more than the metered fare, I deploy my heavy artillery in the form of my Thai government-issued press card. I hold it up in front of their nose. It mentions (in Thai script, obviously) that it's been issued by the Prime Minister's Office. Pulling that one miraculously transforms even the nastiest, scammiest cabbie into the nicest person you've ever met. Admittedly, I am fortunate to have that card and this trick won't be of any help to a 'normal' visitor of Phuket. But try the approach I mentioned at the beginning. It might work for you also. At least you're showing the driver that you cannot be taken for a fool and know the law.