GBP to THB Exchange Rate

Standard chartered have a savings account paying 8% interest on balance

up to 200, 000 bht if you use thier credit card over 8k pm.

This looks good to me.

it looks too good to me and i don't believe that any bank bears 16.66% of your credit card use. check again the fine print!
http://www.standardchartered.co.th/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/bonus-saver/en/index.html?pid=Bonus-Saver-EN

It's 5% rather than 8; so 10k py off the 200k

i still believe there's a catch somewhere. 10,000 Baht bonus on min 96,000 Baht expenditure (10.417%)?

when something seems to good to be true... it most probably is!

It's a nice deal but not an unbelievable one. It's only on balance up to 200,000bht

At lloyds in UK I get 3% on first £6,000 in current account, so long as I pass £1000 through the account each month. I have 3 accounts with them with this on each. A couple more % in Thailand where they loan money out for mortgages etc higher rates seems reasonable. It's just a small amount to reel you in to try and catch your other business.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Standard chartered have a savings account paying 8% interest on balance

up to 200, 000 bht if you use thier credit card over 8k pm.

This looks good to me.

it looks too good to me and i don't believe that any bank bears 16.66% of your credit card use. check again the fine print!
http://www.standardchartered.co.th/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/bonus-saver/en/index.html?pid=Bonus-Saver-EN

It's 5% rather than 8; so 10k py off the 200k

i still believe there's a catch somewhere. 10,000 Baht bonus on min 96,000 Baht expenditure (10.417%)?

when something seems to good to be true... it most probably is!

From what I read it's not very clear. Also not clear whether it's still open to new funds.

http://www.standardchartered.co.th/interest-fees/_documents/e_int_20130304_WM_SME.pdf

You can get around 3% on other accounts, so it's only a 2% bonus above that on a maximum of THB 200k. So real value is about THB 4k as a promotion to get you to take out a credit card. If you were looking for a credit card anyway, it might be a nice little perk, otherwise seems a lot of fuss for a small amount.

Worth noting (same link to download .pdf file):

> They've just launched a new range of Marathon Series 8 Saving accounts with rates that work out just over 3% on a 6 month tiered term. I find these useful, but a bit annoying last time they switched to 6 monthly instead of annual, which was previously useful for parking your Visa extension money.

> Just lowered the rate on their eSaver internet account to 2.8%

Fletch

:)

• Like 1

A bland article containing bland comments by the Governor of the BOE, but he did also say that he thinks the Pound is now at the right level and overtly implies it shoul;dn't go much lower. So, 43 looks like bottom, for the moment, until a new bottom is needed later. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/9931349/Economic-recovery-is-in-sight-says-Governor-Sir-Mervyn-King.html

A bland article containing bland comments by the Governor of the BOE, but he did also say that he thinks the Pound is now at the right level and overtly implies it shoul;dn't go much lower. So, 43 looks like bottom, for the moment, until a new bottom is needed later. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/9931349/Economic-recovery-is-in-sight-says-Governor-Sir-Mervyn-King.html

As if the exchange rate is exclusively the choice of the govner

A bland article containing bland comments by the Governor of the BOE, but he did also say that he thinks the Pound is now at the right level and overtly implies it shoul;dn't go much lower. So, 43 looks like bottom, for the moment, until a new bottom is needed later. smile.png

Your sense of humour is lacking this morning MCCW, read it all again but in a less serious frame of mind this time.

A bland article containing bland comments by the Governor of the BOE, but he did also say that he thinks the Pound is now at the right level and overtly implies it shoul;dn't go much lower. So, 43 looks like bottom, for the moment, until a new bottom is needed later. smile.png

Your sense of humour is lacking this morning MCCW, read it all again but in a less serious frame of mind this time.

I got just over 44 today, see the pound is rising against the $ so maybe we are in for balmyer days. The Merv waited to see this before opening his gob, be a few days before books his hols though, see which way the wind is blowing in June/July.

it's probably significant because Merv the Swerv seems to give it the way it is, and mostly that has been about talking the pound down over the past few years.

A competitive pound is good for the UK economy, just rotten if you happen to be an expat.

I'm still at a loss as to know why it is taking a beating against the dollar and euro though, against the baht more understandable.

it's probably significant because Merv the Swerv seems to give it the way it is, and mostly that has been about talking the pound down over the past few years.

A competitive pound is good for the UK economy, just rotten if you happen to be an expat.

I'm still at a loss as to know why it is taking a beating against the dollar and euro though, against the baht more understandable.

Well now that Cyrprus is getting a bail out, the pound should rise against the Euro and of late a small rise against the $ as well and today the news at about 0800 said that the Thai wizards are watching the strength of the bht, so maybe they will take some steps at this end as well, look forward to next week and see what happens.

Well now that Cyrprus is getting a bail out, the pound should rise against the Euro and of late a small rise against the $ as well and today the news at about 0800 said that the Thai wizards are watching the strength of the bht, so maybe they will take some steps at this end as well, look forward to next week and see what happens.

From the link in one of Naam's posts above:

"December's public sector borrowing figures were worse than expected, suggesting the Office for Budget Responsibility's target could be missed.

The second issue is the move towards an EU referendum, raising concerns that investment will be discouraged if the UK isolates itself from the rest of Europe. Just as the euro zone looks to be coming together to resolve its problems, political risk returns as a threat to sterling.".

The pound is taking a downward trajectory because balance of trade is negative and trending more negative as the GBP falls due to the cost of imported oil and gas. If there is also a foreign investment decline this will exacerbate the downward trajectory of the GBP.

Edited by Svengali

From the link in one of Naam's posts above:

The second issue is the move towards an EU referendum, raising concerns that investment will be discouraged if the UK isolates itself from the rest of Europe. Just as the euro zone looks to be coming together to resolve its problems, political risk returns as a threat to sterling.".

The pound is taking a downward trajectory because balance of trade is negative and trending more negative as the GBP falls due to the cost of imported oil and gas. If there is also a foreign investment decline this will exacerbate the downward trajectory of the GBP.

Im thinking it may now be the Euros turn to take a hit (thus Sterling may rise a little), frightening to think that unelected bureaucrats can take 10% out of Cypriot Bank accounts.

The greatest speech in the history of the EU, by the man who can save the UK and Sterling!

Anyone who thinks being isolated from such tyranny is insane.

• Like 1

agreed! "insane" does apply to Nigel Farage! wink.png

You mean you think unelected fascists emptying bank accounts of what in most cases will be hard working people is acceptable?

coming up with invented accusations out of thin air do not impress me. inform yourself and we can talk smile.png

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9936480/EU-raid-on-savings-to-fund-bail-out-for-Cyprus-threatens-recovery.html

Link the EU are taking money straight out of people accounts, or should i say the Germans are.

Van Rompuy the President of the EU is unelected and so is all of its legislators.

The EU has placed its stooges in power in Portugal, Italy, Greece to run the economy against the wishes of those who voted.

Please dont try and imply that i am uninformed about the EU as you are clearly wrong, it is a fascist regime.

Now go and educate yourself and come back when your are enlightened.

Edited by Thailand1977

You mean you think unelected fascists emptying bank accounts of what in most cases will be hard working people is acceptable?
What you have to understand Thailand 1977 is that Naam changes like the weather…

today is one of those days where he is obviously in the mood to defend the behaviour of these criminal oligarchs? Maybe we should come back again in a few days when he may have a different persona?

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

In other news:

I reckon we could see some improvement in the GBP exchange rate this week if the Cyprus affair unfolds as planned, Sterling is likely to appeal as a safe haven currency once again although I would guess the window for that is limited.

This is a little aside this EU stuff, should be on a platform of its own, but its a gravy train of emense proportions, led a bunch of nobodys effecting the life of 500 million and if they dont get their own way, they will just keep coming back until they do, through a different door.

I could write you pages on my thoughts about this beaurocratic nightmare, but lets just say its a shambles and leave it at that and I hope we (UK) do leave it at that!

Although Thailand's credit rating has gone up its still in the B's whilst the UK is still in the A's same level as the US and France, perhasp these people who dish out the ratings are a bit to important for their own good, its there view and who do they answer to? Yet they control the lives of so many with their ratings.

With Cyprus problem noe unfurling I agree with CM that its time for the pendulem to start heading up for the rate, but it may be slow and how far will it go is a guess, maybe I will opo into the Fortune Tellers this afternoooon!

touché! i admit that you clearly possess a wealth of no idea laugh.png

So they arent stealing money from savers accounts, they were all democratically elected, that EU stooges havent been placed into position of authority to effectively run those nations.

I need to scratch up on my "doublethink".

So they arent stealing money from savers accounts, they were all democratically elected, that EU stooges havent been placed into position of authority to effectively run those nations.

THey want to turn it into the US of Europe, the power mad beaurocrats.

Is it people who disagree with what Nigel Farage says here who are insane and one would seriously have to consider their motives for suggesting otherwise?

Nigel Farage Message To Europeans: "Get Your Money Out While You Can"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-19/nigel-farage-message-europeans-get-your-money-out-while-you-can

• Like 1

Is it people who disagree with what Nigel Farage says here who are insane and one would seriously have to consider their motives for suggesting otherwise?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-19/nigel-farage-message-europeans-get-your-money-out-while-you-can

even insane people have once in a while bright moments and are able to render valuable advice.

• Like 1

THey want to turn it into the US of Europe, the power mad beaurocrats.

and we islanders will fight that with teeth and claws laugh.png

even insane people have once in a while bright moments and are able to render valuable advice.

SEE we all said you had bright moments sometimes Naamthumbsup.gif

SEE we all said you had bright moments sometimes Naam thumbsup.gif

i know a number people who'd strongly disagree with your statement and claim i never had bright ideas sad.png

but then... we all know that most geniuses are misjudged by average people. L-dog%20very%20small.jpg

• Like 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9936480/EU-raid-on-savings-to-fund-bail-out-for-Cyprus-threatens-recovery.html

Link the EU are taking money straight out of people accounts, or should i say the Germans are.

Van Rompuy the President of the EU is unelected and so is all of its legislators.

The EU has placed its stooges in power in Portugal, Italy, Greece to run the economy against the wishes of those who voted.

Please dont try and imply that i am uninformed about the EU as you are clearly wrong, it is a fascist regime.

I agree that taking money from peoples accounts seems wrong although it appears that a lot belongs to non resident Russians many of who are allegedly laundering money from illegal sources. I would prefer it if they could be dealt with separately but maybe that's not possible. I must confess I find it all a bit confusing.

As for the EU I think it does need some serious sorting out but one of the problems is people don't really know what it does or how it does it. It would seem that you are in fact uninformed. This isn't surprising as it's a very complicated structure with many component bodies some of which have a president.

A case in point is Herman Van Rompuy who isn't the President of the EU as the EU doesn't have a president. He is the President of the European Council which has little legislative power. The main legislative power resides with the European Commission which has 27 members, one from each of the member countries and the European Parliament whose members are voted for in the member states every 5 years The European Commission member and president appointment is complicated but is subject to approval by the parliament.

The result of this is that the accusation that the EU is run by unelected bureaucrats is really unjustified although it's certainly the case that it needs some looking at to improve its effectiveness. I think this is something that has been highlighted by Nigel Farage who although I disagree with his desire for the UK to leave the EU always seems to make some valid points. I would just rather see it improved than leave.

As for the exchange rate I'm wishing for an improvement as well. I wonder what effect today's budget announcements will make. It could be that the drop in the last few days is due to measures that are anticipated to take place so here's hoping for a bounce back.

Edited by kimamey

I agree that taking money from peoples accounts seems wrong although it appears that a lot belongs to non resident Russians many of who are allegedly laundering money from illegal sources. I would prefer it if they could be dealt with separately but maybe that's not possible. I must confess I find it all a bit confusing.

As for the EU I think it does need some serious sorting out but one of the problems is people don't really know what it does or how it does it. It would seem that you are in fact uninformed. This isn't surprising as it's a very complicated structure with many component bodies some of which have a president.

A case in point is Herman Van Rompuy who isn't the President of the EU as the EU doesn't have a president. He is the President of the European Council which has little legislative power. The main legislative power resides with the European Commission which has 27 members, one from each of the member countries and the European Parliament whose members are voted for in the member states every 5 years The European Commission member and president appointment is complicated but is subject to approval by the parliament.

The result of this is that the accusation that the EU is run by unelected bureaucrats is really unjustified although it's certainly the case that it needs some looking at to improve its effectiveness. I think this is something that has been highlighted by Nigel Farage who although I disagree with his desire for the UK to leave the EU always seems to make some valid points. I would just rather see it improved than leave.

As for the exchange rate I'm wishing for an improvement as well. I wonder what effect today's budget announcements will make. It could be that the drop in the last few days is due to measures that are anticipated to take place so here's hoping for a bounce back.

Yes my typing does make it look as if he is President, i believe Blair was hoping for that role.

The European Council has serious power even more so since Lisbon Treaty.