GBP to THB Exchange Rate

Amazing! You guys, its like written in English but a different language somehow, seldom do I read a paragraph of text and I am left thinking, nothing was said at the end of it.

Totally mystified and admire your apparent knowledge of the subject and interest in it. To me its a string of words that have little meaning, just too complicated. But on the upside I can read numbers and the current rate of 51+ looks great, havnt seen that for some time, hope it continues as some have suggested.

Just cant seem to get to grips with the technicalities, leave that to you, its way over my head and comprehension, I'll stick with simple numbers, know my capabilities and all that.

Open a conversation with the boards resident non wannabe expat (CM) with a very hurt ego at the moment (yet again). He could do with a friend such as you whose knowledge of the technicalities is on par with his!!!!!

Being offered 51.4 with broker in UK - glad I held off transferring.

I see you've ducked the technical questions, yet again, just a stream of meaningless noise now, at least you've learned something useful about the composition of GBP/THB, I would imagine and will start to follow USD more closely so it's not been a complete waste of time!

One in the same thing young one. Have you ever done any chart analysis? Or would you like us to teach you about that too.

Shall we review your speculations on the movement in the strength of the THB over the past year!!!! You find it a touch humiliating.

It has broken free of a major resistance point and as such is moving very quickly in the right direction for me.

It is not surprising given the potency of the present and near future macro economic mix.

CM - are you a "non wannabe expat"?

Never laughed so much

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing! You guys, its like written in English but a different language somehow, seldom do I read a paragraph of text and I am left thinking, nothing was said at the end of it.

Totally mystified and admire your apparent knowledge of the subject and interest in it. To me its a string of words that have little meaning, just too complicated. But on the upside I can read numbers and the current rate of 51+ looks great, havnt seen that for some time, hope it continues as some have suggested.

Just cant seem to get to grips with the technicalities, leave that to you, its way over my head and comprehension, I'll stick with simple numbers, know my capabilities and all that.

Simply do as I do.. Ignore them all as day on day they post figures and the pound still goes up and up..

I like Michael Jackson's honesty in plain hoping for a strong £.

Others like myself, engage in some debate and theories backed by research links and some a bit degree of understanding of the technicalities at least.

You on the hand like pretend u know what your talking about but really don't have a clue.

Still waiting for any link or information or answer to the technicalities you stumbled over before. If you don't know what your talking about/ we're talking about, then just stick to "51 whoopee; here's hoping it goes higher" save yourself some embarrassment

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Would you include all mortgage, personal loans, credit cards, payday lenders etc etc- if u did for UK I think you'd find it far far higher

Yes. In the UK ALL those things you mentioned are regulated and appear in official borrowing figures.

So - do you think my list is included in Thailand's official figures ?

Eer sorry but your completely wrong. UK debt to GDP figures are for government borrowing- not all total public and private debt! (This is true of Thailand and every other country when generally talking about debt to GDP its meaning government debt to GDP)

Take a look at this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/loans-credit/1430000000000-britains-personal-debt-timebomb-8950372.html

Public sector debt here (see the methodological differences at the bottom):

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/psa/public-sector-finances/july-2013/sty-public-sector-debt.html

Your very naive if you think the west doesn't engage in accounting tricks.

See this compiled from the governments own figures:

http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/true-level-of-uk-government-debt-exceeds-£5-trillion

Almost 400% and that's just the public sector; what do you think it would be if including the private sector?

Does that include village loans, black market loans, rice loans, syndicate loans, pawn shop loans - or would they be outside the official numbers.

Would you include all mortgage, personal loans, credit cards, payday lenders etc etc- if u did for UK I think you'd find it far far higher

Yes. In the UK ALL those things you mentioned are regulated and appear in official borrowing figures.

Eer sorry but your completely wrong. UK debt to GDP figures are for government borrowing- not all total public and private debt! (This is true of Thailand and every other country when generally talking about debt to GDP its meaning government debt to GDP)

Where did I say anything about National Debt. Everyone knows that National Debt = government borrowing.

What I said was that personal borrowing is included in "official borrowing figures"". i.e. they are recorded, they are published.

Not the same same for Thailand.

Nam has it right - it is not about debt in absolute terms (and no one has an accurate figure for Thailand), it is about debt servicing.

perhaps you and me could form a club? wink.png

• Like 1

Take a look at this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/loans-credit/1430000000000-britains-personal-debt-timebomb-8950372.html

Public sector debt here (see the methodological differences at the bottom):

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/psa/public-sector-finances/july-2013/sty-public-sector-debt.html

Your very naive if you think the west doesn't engage in accounting tricks.

See this compiled from the governments own figures:

http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/true-level-of-uk-government-debt-exceeds-£5-trillion

Almost 400% and that's just the public sector; what do you think it would be if including the private sector?

What official figures are you talking about then?

Can you link me to the UK "official figures" that include all on your list?

If you read the Thai business section regularly you'd have come across figures for non performing loans at the Thai banks and the cap ratios of those banks. The Thai banks have cap rates of 10-20% btw compared to the UKs fragile 1% ish.

The Thais are servicing thier debts fine from the free market while the UK has to resort to QE and forced near 0% rates. So looks to me Thailand has more stable financial system and space to lower rate significantly if needs be. UK has no where to go- just more QE.

So looks to me Thailand has more stable financial system and space to lower rate significantly if needs be. UK has no where to go- just more QE.

So why aren't you moving all your pensions, cash and assets to Thailand?

Xe.com showing an exchange rate at 51.6

Edited by FiftyTwo

So looks to me Thailand has more stable financial system and space to lower rate significantly if needs be. UK has no where to go- just more QE.

I have moved 75% of my total net assets value to Thailand (transferred when the rate got to around 50). I keep only a bare minimum cash and no other paper type assets precisely because I see the system as being unstable/ fragile and see the facts of what happened in Cyprus and what is being suggested by the IMF and passed in to law also - ie the confiscation of private paper assets / bail in of the banking system.

• Like 1

XE does not count according to the "experts" on this thread, B51 is available today in Pattaya exchanges for cash, some things do "follow" it would seem, B52 not far behind.

What shows on XE is a day or two in front of the banks and money booths, but they nearly always follow

XE does not count according to the "experts" on this thread, B51 is available today in Pattaya exchanges for cash, some things do "follow" it would seem, B52 not far behind.

What shows on XE is a day or two in front of the banks and money booths, but they nearly always follow

The reason for the difference has been explained yet you continue to believe that XE is somehow clairvoyant, funny!

• Like 1

...I'll stick with simple numbers...

Can't argue with that. Bangkok Bank closed at 50.76 for the weekend.

My wife and I were in Pattaya for the last few days and one of the Beach Road outlets were offering 50.90. Had I shopped around, I'm certain there would have been slightly more improved offers.

We were pretty shafted on our last visit to LOS in February, so nice to come back to some normality.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the ECB rate goes negative, I guess that will see funds transfer into GBP and USD, if into GBP that will likely cause it to strengthen, question is whether that's desirable from a UK perspective. It's all well and good to have a strong currency but if too strong it hurts exports, difficult.

I just sent a lump over last week and got marginally over 50....knew I should have waited...

My wife and I changed up a sizeable sum at Bangkok Bank in LOS last Friday at 50.01. Job done and happy with 1,000 baht = £20.

We could have waited and lost. I've trained my wife over a period of time not to be despondent with fluctuations. If we were happy at the time, then happy we'll remain, until the next time.

• Like 1

Seems like the clairvoyant XE was right. I have followed this for years, what happens on XE follows in the street

The reason for the difference has been explained yet you continue to believe that XE is somehow clairvoyant, funny!

post-6099-0-65049400-1385123309_thumb.jp

I would imagine that it is 'roughly' correct 50% of the time.. it shows the mid market rate, therefore so long as the market moves, it will (half of the time) move in the direction of the rate stated by XE. The flaw in your hypothesis is that for the other 50% of occasions it will not - it depends which way the market moves. If you actually analyse the theory over a period of a few weeks, you'll see that 50% of the time the rate will move in the direction of the XE rate, but it will undershoot and overshoot it when it does so - it will often do this very slightly, but occasionally dramatically. 50% of the time it will go in entirely the opposite direction.

What you are claiming is akin to tossing a coin on a Tuesday and then assuming that the same side will land when you flip a coin on Thursday.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

If you deal with brokers and and are dealing with 15-10k plus they will quote a price somewhere mid spread. If you are dealing with larger sums you can negotiate with them as well.

I was quoted 51.55 at one point today.

With 50 notes today you could get 51.45 at superrich.

Still holding on.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the ECB rate goes negative, I guess that will see funds transfer into GBP and USD, if into GBP that will likely cause it to strengthen, question is whether that's desirable from a UK perspective. It's all well and good to have a strong currency but if too strong it hurts exports, difficult.

Advanced economics - I am impressed.

I would imagine that it is 'roughly' correct 50% of the time.. it shows the mid market rate, therefore so long as the market moves, it will (half of the time) move in the direction of the rate stated by XE. The flaw in your hypothesis is that for the other 50% of occasions it will not - it depends which way the market moves. If you actually analyse the theory over a period of a few weeks, you'll see that 50% of the time the rate will move in the direction of the XE rate, but it will undershoot and overshoot it when it does so - it will often do this very slightly, but occasionally dramatically. 50% of the time it will go in entirely the opposite direction.

What you are claiming is akin to tossing a coin on a Tuesday and then assuming that the same side will land when you flip a coin on Thursday.

Just to be pedantic- Not 50% for sure is it? Surely it only follows when the mid point is rising (or falling) concurrently - the days it will be wrong / not "following" are the days the trend up or down turns. So those days could be more or less frequent than 50% depending.

Just to be pedantic- Not 50% for sure is it? Surely it only follows when the mid point is rising (or falling) concurrently - the days it will be wrong / not "following" are the days the trend up or down turns. So those days could be more or less frequent than 50% depending.

Eh?

The mid point is only followed by the bank buy rate in Thailand when the market moves in the same direction , so the days the market turns are the days that it doesn't follow. Follow?

The mid point is only followed by the bank buy rate in Thailand when the market moves in the same direction , so the days the market turns are the days that it doesn't follow. Follow?

Yep you are right, I decided to not bring trends into the point I was making - it is not 50% in a trending market, it will lean toward the trend, but the general inadvisability of believing that XE is magically predictive remains, really what the statement:

'What shows on XE is a day or two in front of the banks and money booths, but they nearly always follow'

means is:

'The first currency I decide to put into XE nearly always gets stronger against the second'

Which is of course very incorrect.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

yesterday using my metro bank card at an aeon machine in Pattaya i got 50.84 baht for one pound.

Mastercard rates 50.98 for the 21st and rising. Lovely and just in time for my next trip back. Much better than bouncing along in the mid 40's as it was last time I was there. :) And I'm hoping - like many - the rise continues.