I Need A New Passport - What Happens To My Visa/extension Of Stay?

Hi all,

My Australian passport only has 2 blank pages left, so I need to get a new one.

I'm in Chiang Rai. Can I get one in Chiang Mai, or do I need to go to Bangkok?

When I get my new, do I have to go to immigration to transfer my Non-O visa and extension of stay stamp to my new passport? Or

Do I have to get my work permit or drivers license updated?

I did a search but couldn't find the answer....

Thanks,

Richard

You need to get your new passport and then go to immigration with both. They will transfer your extension stamp/permission to stay stamp into your new passport. It takes 1.5 pages, unless they are sloppy. The service is free. If you have a multiple entry visa, they will not transfer the visa to the new passport, so you must carry both passports to show the visa until it is expired or all entries are used

You have to get your new passport at your Embassy or consulate. http://www.thailand....ok/consular.htm

Edited by wayned

Work permit/ DL

The Work permit will be updated with the new PP number next renewal, and the DL, up to you, but I have never bother through the years and get a a new PP every 2-3 years, when you renew your DL, just give them your new PP and they will update the DL with the new PP number, never a been a problem upto now

I got a new U.S. passport while in BKK once, and neglected to visit immigration to transfer my entry stamp. This led to great difficult when departing at Swampy airport, took over an hour to clear immigration and they debated sending me downtown which would have made me miss my flight. I just played the humble, ignorant farang and they finally worked it all out.

It used to be done at immigration but for the last year or so those with only a visa entry and old passport just use both on exit. If you have an extension of stay you must visit the office extending to do the transfer into the new passport.

• Like 1

You can get your passport application done at the consulate in Chiang Mai.

Previous link posted does not work. New link: http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/consular.html

There will be several things you will have to take care of besides, immigration, WP, DL and etc.

How about banks. Most require you give them your new passport number and will make a copy for their records.

I woul be surprised if OZ Embassy would not add pages to your passport unless it is due to be expired. OZ Embassy uses courier services from Chiang Mai for most visa and passport issues.

They have a web site. Also a call to the Oz Embassy in BKK would answer if additional pages can be added.

I would be most surprised if they would.

My passport is nearly full but is valid for another four years, is it possible to add extra pages?

No, it is not possible to add pages to Australian passports. You will need to apply for a new passport by completing a passport application form. Most adults will be able to use a passport renewal form. A child’s passport will need to be replaced by lodging a full passport application form.

An ordinary or standard Australian passport contains 35 visa pages. It is valid for 10 years while a child’s or senior’s passport is valid for five years. The standard passport is adequate for most travellers.

Frequent travellers should apply for a frequent traveller’s passport which has 67 visa pages and is valid for 10 years. A higher application fee applies.

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/FAQ.aspx

• Like 1

Just did it last week.You have to go to the Australian Embassy Bangkok to renew your passport. Takes about 10 mins to do and about 15 mins to get in +++++ trip from Cnx and taxi from airport. About 7500 Baht with EMS to Cnx. They have to cancel your passport and can EMS the new one to you (no responsibility taken by them). If you don't not want this you have to make another trip to Bkk to pick it up. I took the Air Asia 0715 flight to Bkk and got a taxi straight to the embassy (about 300 Baht + expressway). Could go and come back, put in the application in 1 day if you wanted to take the chance.

Fill the passport application form out online (website) and it issues with a number for the application. Print it out and take it with you. Be very careful the photo meets all the requirements colour and size. Info on the application form. They used a template to check the photo size.

For info Oz visa are done through certain Thai Post offices. Check VFS site for locations.

Added - Embassy only accepts (Cash) Thai Currency for the fees

Bon Voyage

Edited by newcomer01

Just did it last week.You have to go to the Australian Embassy Bangkok to renew your passport. Takes about 10 mins to do and about 15 mins to get in +++++ trip from Cnx and taxi from airport. About 7500 Baht with EMS to Cnx. They have to cancel your passport and can EMS the new one to you (no responsibility taken by them). If you don't not want this you have to make another trip to Bkk to pick it up. I took the Air Asia 0715 flight to Bkk and got a taxi straight to the embassy (about 300 Baht + expressway). Could go and come back, put in the application in 1 day if you wanted to take the chance.

Fill the passport application form out online (website) and it issues with a number for the application. Print it out and take it with you. Be very careful the photo meets all the requirements colour and size. Info on the application form. They used a template to check the photo size.

For info Oz visa are done through certain Thai Post offices. Check VFS site for locations.

Added - Embassy only accepts (Cash) Thai Currency for the fees

Bon Voyage

Thanks for that info.

I have 4 pages left on my Australian passport, i am near the end of my tourist visa double entry done the last 30 days, i need to do a visa run to Savanaket, now with 4 pages left is there enough pages to do this/ i know you need 2 pages for the visa's which will leave me 2 blank pages, is there a minimum amount of pages you need to enter Thailand?

If there is going to be a problem i will go renew my passport.

This will be my last tourist visa before converting to retirement in may when my term deposit is up in Australia and i can transfer the funds.

You need space to stamp but no extra page requirement.

Thanks for that mate, so with 4 pages i should be fine, 2 for full page visa's and the other 2 for stamps, i will also take my printed out renewal form for a new passport to show at the return over into Thailand, if any problem say i am on my way to bkk to renew.

There will be several things you will have to take care of besides, immigration, WP, DL and etc.

How about banks. Most require you give them your new passport number and will make a copy for their records.

Thanks for adding in this nugget, Joe... I too have a passport (U.S.) coming up for expiry...

I hadn't even thought about that issue. When I get the new passport, will it have the same number as my existing one but in a new book, or I'll get an entirely new passport number???

Depends on your country passport system but I wold not worry about telling my bank - you will have plenty of time to provide 100 signed copies and explaining why the number has changed when you next have to obtain a passbook. Why make an extra trip (physical is only part of that word meaning when dealing with banks).

Thanks for adding in this nugget, Joe... I too have a passport (U.S.) coming up for expiry...

I hadn't even thought about that issue. When I get the new passport, will it have the same number as my existing one but in a new book, or I'll get an entirely new passport number???

It will be an entirely new passport number.

You need to get your new passport and then go to immigration with both. They will transfer your extension stamp/permission to stay stamp into your new passport. It takes 1.5 pages, unless they are sloppy. The service is free. If you have a multiple entry visa, they will not transfer the visa to the new passport, so you must carry both passports to show the visa until it is expired or all entries are used

You have to get your new passport at your Embassy or consulate. http://www.thailand....ok/consular.htm

And bring a book with you to while away the time as they put you in the same line as they do for extensions of retiremnent visa - spent four hours doing it at Changwattanae last month - the actual process took about five minutescrazy.gif !

Edited by snooky

Depends on your country passport system but I wold not worry about telling my bank - you will have plenty of time to provide 100 signed copies and explaining why the number has changed when you next have to obtain a passbook. Why make an extra trip (physical is only part of that word meaning when dealing with banks).

I have to make monthly trips to the bank showing bank books (to transfer funds) because my special Bangkok Bank account does not allow for an ATM card or internet banking.

Just got new bank book for other account and only needed one copy of passport and extension stamp.

That is the starting point - but if they see passport number does not match previous another set or two and on and on - it seems they make extra demands when a joint account and must have for two or twenty-two files. God help you when your signature does not exactly match. Seems then like to get more signatures and having new copies gives them an excuse.

Lopburi, I'm sensing some distinct personal dismay on your part with the Thai banking establishment....

For heaven's sake, I can't imagine WHY???? tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

If you write up your complaint, submit it in a dozen copies, sign each page and initial on the reverse...and provide 45 signed and initialed copies of your passport page, I'm sure they'd be happy to assist you!

You will get a new # on the new passport. I gave my new passport info to Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank, both made copies but only BB updated my profile, KB would not, so I feel I have to keep a record of my old # for them if something ever comes up. It also took 2 or 3 trips to the original branch I opened the accs at to get that and an email and ph # change done so I could bank online. Just another reason I like BB over KB, that and the fact KB charges twice as much for their card renewal - 550b.

Transferring stamp to new passport. - did it yesterday.

Save some time at immigration (Chiangmai)

Download form and fill it it out before http://www.immigrati...age=download ( Transfer Stamp to a New Passport Form)

Photocopy complete (old) passport (to be on the safe side) - Sign all pages

Photocopy front page of new passport. - Sign all pages

Stand in line to get served - Keep calm and keep smiling.

Wait - Keep calm and keep smiling.

PS photocopying is now across the road at the garage.

Motorbikes were parking next door.

If you have a car it is a complete lucky dip. (airport, airport plaza,) or by some miracle at immigration.

Good luck

Edited by newcomer01