New Alcohol Bans Will Be Made Aware To Public: Thai Interior Minister

webfact

the government enforced three new laws last year prohibiting sales and drinks of alcohol in three places, namely on pavement, roadside areas and public walkways,

I guess they must have missed the bars that set up all over the sidewalks in lower sukhumvit?..or maybe the ruling mafia doesnt' consider the sidewalk as "public walkways" but their property?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK, 17 January 2013 (NNT)-The Interior Minister has indicated that alcohol control laws will be strictly enforced to curb underage drinking and new drinkers across Thailand in an attempt to create social order.

Doesn't affect me. I am over 20, and certainly not a "new drinker". Woo-woooooo!

Well , although not policed in Many Many places , I think its a good idea and a good starting point , and even some success will be good success . When I first started coming to Bangkok I remember well all the cigarette smoke ..Although far from ideal , it has improved a Lot , certainly over the last 5 years .

You wont stop here those who are determined , Thats just the way it is ..But it sends a message .

As an Australian , I think our problem with alcohol are far worse . We encourage the young to get plastered , we open night clubs ALL night , and they get pissed before they even get there . We have a Sporting culture that is Sponsored by Alcohol companies , Including the current Australian Open tennis ( Jacobs Creek ) . Most of the major drinking problems I see here are Farangs , either on Sex tours , or with Nothing to Do .

Therefore I would argue " Those in Glass Houses " ........ And when Im Tea Total myself , I can then be critical of Others .

Its a good Stepping Stone , and hopefully its enhanced and enforced , It will do a Lot of good ..BUT , there will always be around regulation , things take time to change .

You can have one law or one million laws - it makes no difference unless you enforce them

The problem is that everyone here in Thailand knows that laws mean nothing.

It's got to the point where its not even worth reading or listening to 'new law' announcements as we all know it's never going to happen

The rot is set way too deep.

When you see the 'law enforcers' breaking the laws - what incentive is there for the 'little people' ??

Edited by Udox
  • Like 1

It is a great law. They should have limits on who can by booze. most countries do. The issue is enforcement. That can still be done and allows the government to hang someone if a problem occurs. While they very rarely enforce the helmet law just imagine if someone got in an accident and tried to sue for damages but was not wearing the helmet. They are all good laws just not a lot of enforcement . That can come later.

Do government offices include parliament and Chalerm's office?

If they do, who's gonna knick him?

ha ha! I was thinking the very same thing. cheesy.gif

Isn't there already a law about selling alcohol to the under aged? blink.png

I wasn't aware that drinking at Buddhist ordination and funerals was an issue. w00t.gif

just amazing. glad to see they are not going to cut down on violence on TV such as rape, abuse to women and murder. wai2.gif

I was in Chiang Mai Railway Station. Big sign up (in Thai and English) saying "Drinking of alcohol here banned - result in prison sentence and / or fine" blah blah blah.

Directly under the sign was a fridge stocked full of cans of beer for sale.

TIT

• Like 1

Well that is fine and now they are (or say they are) going to control the sale and use of alcohol by under aged juveniles then they can remove that stupid and totally irrelevant law that prohibits sale under 10 litres of alcohol to ANYONE between certain popular hours to shop like 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM or before 11:00 AM in the mornings. Really stupid and totally inconvenient to millions of ordinary adults in Thailand. Most Thais I know even agree that it is a totally stupid pointless law as there is already a strict law banning to the sale of alcohol to under aged folk and it is that law that needs and seems is to be more strictly enforced by the BiB.

Anyway that limited time for selling alcohol is only really applied byt Tesco Lotus and Big C even the other supermarkets ignore it quite rightly. Sure they should not and do not though ignore the law about selling to under aged buyers. Stupid and pointless prohibition laws applied to adults NEVER EVER work as folk will and do just ignore it as they always have and not only in Thailand either. Most countries on the world are now easing and stopping many prohibitions like for example the far more harmless Marijuana has been now fully legalised in a few USA states and this is just the sensible start, and since my youth the unwanted Sunday trading laws particularly on alcohol have been removed rightly giving freedom of choice to adults.

Main point of this post is for Thailand to look at and remove this silly, and pointless, time restrictions on the retail selling of alcohol law. Currently I shop a lot at Tesco Lotus and often conveniently in the mid afternoon and it means I then have to go to another shop to buy my beer for my fridge. Very inconvenient and time wasting and I usually cannot use my free to use UK based VISA credit card which I use for all my shopping, bills and petrol etc, to avoid using cash with the high cost of ATM fees, UK bank charges, or the cost of transferring money to a Thai bank. Yes I have looked into ti s closely and for me it is far cheaper and easier to use my UK credit card and pay it off monthly with one payment using internet banking from my UK bank account where my sterling pensions income goes.

Anyway that is my personal inconvenience but most others I speak to have also similar or other related and pointless inconveniences from this really stupid totally irrelevant alcohol sale time restriction law. If somebody can explain accurately and honestly and LOGICALLY what this law achieves then I will listen carefully but cannot think of any valid argument to have such a ridiculous law. Other good laws prevent the sale to under aged folk so that is no reason for having this law too which effects all of us normal adults. Why oh why cannot the Government apply some logic and see this point and remove this law ASAP and make the vast majority of folk a lot happier.

• Like 2

Well that is fine and now they are (or say they are) going to control the sale and use of alcohol by under aged juveniles then they can remove that stupid and totally irrelevant law that prohibits sale under 10 litres of alcohol to ANYONE between certain popular hours to shop like 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM or before 11:00 AM in the mornings. Really stupid and totally inconvenient to millions of ordinary adults in Thailand. Most Thais I know even agree that it is a totally stupid pointless law as there is already a strict law banning to the sale of alcohol to under aged folk and it is that law that needs and seems is to be more strictly enforced by the BiB.

Anyway that limited time for selling alcohol is only really applied byt Tesco Lotus and Big C even the other supermarkets ignore it quite rightly. Sure they should not and do not though ignore the law about selling to under aged buyers. Stupid and pointless prohibition laws applied to adults NEVER EVER work as folk will and do just ignore it as they always have and not only in Thailand either. Most countries on the world are now easing and stopping many prohibitions like for example the far more harmless Marijuana has been now fully legalised in a few USA states and this is just the sensible start, and since my youth the unwanted Sunday trading laws particularly on alcohol have been removed rightly giving freedom of choice to adults.

Main point of this post is for Thailand to look at and remove this silly, and pointless, time restrictions on the retail selling of alcohol law. Currently I shop a lot at Tesco Lotus and often conveniently in the mid afternoon and it means I then have to go to another shop to buy my beer for my fridge. Very inconvenient and time wasting and I usually cannot use my free to use UK based VISA credit card which I use for all my shopping, bills and petrol etc, to avoid using cash with the high cost of ATM fees, UK bank charges, or the cost of transferring money to a Thai bank. Yes I have looked into ti s closely and for me it is far cheaper and easier to use my UK credit card and pay it off monthly with one payment using internet banking from my UK bank account where my sterling pensions income goes.

Anyway that is my personal inconvenience but most others I speak to have also similar or other related and pointless inconveniences from this really stupid totally irrelevant alcohol sale time restriction law. If somebody can explain accurately and honestly and LOGICALLY what this law achieves then I will listen carefully but cannot think of any valid argument to have such a ridiculous law. Other good laws prevent the sale to under aged folk so that is no reason for having this law too which effects all of us normal adults. Why oh why cannot the Government apply some logic and see this point and remove this law ASAP and make the vast majority of folk a lot happier.

It keeps mom and pop shops in business. Lol

• Like 1

While they are at it - could they also inform the Policemen that enter restaurants to drink alcohol that they should leave their service revolver or pistol outside? I have seen a farang who was visible uneasy as he was with his wife and children. That policeman was also getting quite rowdy courtesy of a few rounds of the Red Label kind....

Just another pointless law. The only beneficiaries will be the B.i.B. hitting on Farang tourists. The 2,000 Baht hit for cigarettes was a terrific rort but faded out quickly. Perhaps this law should be passed by TAT for their opinion as they seem to be struggling a bit these days with too many scams, unexplained deaths, unaccounted suicides and of course the Duty Free ripoffs. Makes you think they want to keep Thailand strictly for Thais.

What are you going on about? You think they made the new law to extort money from tourists? blink.png

When that law regarding cigarette butts came in they were basically hitting the area around Sukhumvit hitting up tourists who would of been unaware of the new laws (although its no excuse to litter in the first place) . I can't image they were at Rangsit or Bangna doing the same to the local Thai's. I actually witness police taking 1000 baht bribe from an Indian tourist. The same will apply in this case as far as I'm concerned. Just another law for the BIB to fund their pockets.

• Like 1

Social order or just walk a little further. The odd part is, an individual that could walk to a pub now has to use a motor bike or a car to get there. This seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Jesus Rayw This law has been in place for years, have you just arrived in Thailand?

Buy 2 cases of beer for your fridge or 1 case and 7 cans if you are that tight. That will

cover the 10 litre rule!!

Get over it, and get a life man coffee1.gif

• Like 1