Boat To Sumatra.

notmyself

At one time there was a cargo boat that went to Medan in North Sumatra weekly. Does anyone wknow about this boat. I am told that it is only a 120 km trip.

Direct distance from South of Phuket to Sumatra is about 320km.

At one time there was a cargo boat that went to Medan in North Sumatra weekly. Does anyone wknow about this boat. I am told that it is only a 120 km trip.

That's a fair way!

I have a friend going to Burma in a few days (from UK) and then she's coming to Samui for a couple of days before going to Sumatra. As usual (for her) she's done no research on just how to do this other than 'I'll just buy a flight'. I said last night that I would have a look see if there were other options such as a boat which would be more of an adventure than a flight. It's all very well thinking she will get a flight but what if they are all full? High season and all.

That's a fair way!

I have a friend going to Burma in a few days (from UK) and then she's coming to Samui for a couple of days before going to Sumatra. As usual (for her) she's done no research on just how to do this other than 'I'll just buy a flight'. I said last night that I would have a look see if there were other options such as a boat which would be more of an adventure than a flight. It's all very well thinking she will get a flight but what if they are all full? High season and all.

Maybe you should have mentioned it was from Samui rather than Phuket.

You have the wrong forum. Try the Samui one.

That's a fair way!

Maybe you should have mentioned it was from Samui rather than Phuket.

You have the wrong forum. Try the Samui one.

I know for a fact that there is no boat from Samui to Sumatra so why would I ask there? If there is a boat from Phuket then I'll pop over for a few days after she leaves Burma (Ranong is just up the road) rather than her coming all the way to Samui. If there is no boat and she has to fly from say Surat then it's another story, as it would be if there is a flight from Phuket or Had Yai.

You just have to let her do the trip in the way she likes.

If she is backpacking and have time, then personally I think that her way is the best way to travel. Traveling is not only moving to another location, but experiencing everything between.

By the description she just might change her mind and decide to go to visit Vietnam instead :)

You just have to let her do the trip in the way she likes.

If she is backpacking and have time, then personally I think that her way is the best way to travel. Traveling is not only moving to another location, but experiencing everything between.

By the description she just might change her mind and decide to go to visit Vietnam instead smile.png

I fully agree with you. I'd just like to throw in a few updated options for her as she's not been here for 13 years. I got a big thanks when I informed her that it's only 15 days if she enters by land.

Tigerline travel does the ferry from Chalong to Langkawi. 10 hour trip. Sumatra would take much longer.

Would like to hear a report about somebody having used this service recently. Not so long ago, a customer of mine booked with Tigerline to be brought from Phuket to Koh Lipe. She was taken to a port just opposite Koh Lipe by a minivan belonging to another company, and was put on a ferry there.

• Like 1

Tigerline travel does the ferry from Chalong to Langkawi. 10 hour trip. Sumatra would take much longer.

Would like to hear a report about somebody having used this service recently. Not so long ago, a customer of mine booked with Tigerline to be brought from Phuket to Koh Lipe. She was taken to a port just opposite Koh Lipe by a minivan belonging to another company, and was put on a ferry there.

www.tigerlinetravel.com.

The website says it leaves chalong at 8am and stop at various island on its way to langkawi.

Koh lipe being one of them.

Maybe she missed the boat for that day.

Edited by hansgruber

I had a customer recently who booked Tigerline to Koh lanta. The pickup, organised by Tigerline, arrived so late that they missed the ferry, and were transported by minibus to Lanta. So sounds like you're customer is no exception.

Out of all of the nonsense no one has answered if there is a boat from Phuket to Medan in North Sumatra. I suggest that this issue be closed as it drags on without any useful answers to the original question.

And yet you come and write an reply without any relation to the topic.

This is an discussion forum, Not Wikipedia. There is a start and after that discussion continues further dimensions.

Out of all of the nonsense no one has answered if there is a boat from Phuket to Medan in North Sumatra. I suggest that this issue be closed as it drags on without any useful answers to the original question.

Maybe you need new spectacles Don. The answer is given in the links on post 12.

One full answer to the question has been given but I would not suggest stopping discussion as new aspects come out. After all this is a forum not a travel agent.

Sorry I forgot to add. After you get the Tigerline ferry to Langkawai you should be able to get a ferry to Sumatra from Langkawi.

p.S Ive heard you can get to Sumatra from Langkawi, never tried it myself. Maybe worth a bit of research on the net

Edited by IrishIvan

Sorry I forgot to add. After you get the Tigerline ferry to Langkawai you should be able to get a ferry to Sumatra from Langkawi.

p.S Ive heard you can get to Sumatra from Langkawi, never tried it myself. Maybe worth a bit of research on the net

That seemed to indicted on the map which one of the links took me to. Cheers.

There are numerous boats to North Sumatra but it appears that no one knows one from Phuket so why do we continue to beat the dead dog to death. Sumatra is the largest island in Indonesia. I worked there for 8 months and enjoyed being there. When the Muslims started to beat down the remaining Christians that the Dutch created i decided it was not for me. All pf Indonesia is beautiful and exciting but you have to remember that Christians are at risk.