I Feel Awful.

ragamuffin

Arrived in BKK two weeks ago and have never had such problems before.

First of all, I don't seem to get enough sleep. I rarely fall asleep before 2am and still feel extremely exhausted and tired, even if I get up around noon.

It lasts the whole day, no drinking or drugs involved. Around late afternoon I tend to feel very weak. My body is quite heated up at times although I try to monitor my water intake. I'm awfully tired and just can't seem to stand the heat. Started using the aircon more frequently and even had to shower various times cause I felt so hot.

What's wrong with me and what can I do about it? :|

Bad jet lag and climate adjustment, from the sounds of it. Possibly other stress as well but not enough information to say.

A combination of getting sun exposure during the day, maletonin at nivght and time usually work for the jet lag.

• Like 1

Bad jet lag and climate adjustment, from the sounds of it. Possibly other stress as well but not enough information to say.

A combination of getting sun exposure during the day, maletonin at nivght and time usually work for the jet lag.

Jet lag two weeks after arrival? Is that possible?

I've only suffered from jet lag once and that was over after a couple of days.

I also feel dizzy sometimes, even a little sick.

So annoying, I have a lot of stuff to do here and can't afford not being fit :|.

Oh yes, it can easily last 2 weeks and for some reason it seems to vary greatly by trip. Since you aren't sleeping, this (and/or stress) seem like the most likely explanation. Insufficient sleep over a 2 week period would account for all the rest.

I assume you have no fever?

If yIf you feel that it is NOT either jet lag or stress- then see a doctor for some basic blood tests.

I experienced the same problems as you.It started 6 years ago,living here I started to sweat a lot even If I was`nt moving.I woke up early in the morning,but wasn`t able to get out of bed until late afternoon.

I got suggestions to check my metabolism,but that was not what I was suffering from from.This october I finally went to hospital here in Thailand after doctors in my home country have been telling me there was nothing wrong with me.

It didn`t take them long to figure out what the problem was............2 main arteries in the heart was clogged up and I had an emergency blocking and I feel much better now smile.png !!I I dont sweat and finally Im able to have a proper sleep and wake up in the morning without being exhausted.Im also looking forward to go back to my job offshore where I had big problems coping the last 4 years..

Check your heart and good luck thumbsup.gif !!!

No fever.

It's just so weird that it used to be okay for the first days and got worse when I moved into my own accommodation.

Although I must admit that I tend to stress myself with a lot of paranoid "what if?" thinking, especially at nighttime.

I'm also still waiting for the results of my final exams for my degree and forgot taking my thyroid pills for some time.

Well, things probably just need to settle a little. Take my pills, get some sleep, drink enough water ... how many litres would you recommend?

God, I sound like a total newbie :|!

I experienced the same problems as you.It started 6 years ago,living here I started to sweat a lot even If I was`nt moving.I woke up early in the morning,but wasn`t able to get out of bed until late afternoon.

I got suggestions to check my metabolism,but that was not what I was suffering from from.This october I finally went to hospital here in Thailand after doctors in my home country have been telling me there was nothing wrong with me.

It didn`t take them long to figure out what the problem was............2 main arteries in the heart was clogged up and I had an emergency blocking and I feel much better now smile.png !!I I dont sweat and finally Im able to have a proper sleep and wake up in the morning without being exhausted.Im also looking forward to go back to my job offshore where I had big problems coping the last 4 years..

Check your heart and good luck thumbsup.gif !!!

Umm, this kind of worries me now o_O.

Take my pills, get some sleep, drink enough water ... how many litres would you recommend?

From the Mayo Clinic below: However it is not a fixed rule and are minimums and based on temperate climates. I've read 5-6 liters if active, hot climate and perspiring a lot.

How much water do you need?

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

What about the advice to drink eight glasses a day?

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

Source Mayo Clinic

Not only can I suffer THREE weeks of jetlag (two is standard for me) I can have this problem going the other way (us) which is supposed to be better. Not at all.uncommon for me to wake up in the middle of the morning knowing Im done sleeping. If Im.lucky, Ill catch another hr before sunrise.

Only thing that seemingly helps me is getting out into the sun and excercise.

Im not a doctor but my father had the same issue (not involving travelling) and eventually he was given thyroid meds which solved it. If you already know you have thyroid issues dont underestimate what neglecting the meds might do to your energy levels.

True, it's probably working its share. I've now got some electrolyte and spent most of today in an air conditioned environment. Had a lot of liquid, too. At least 2 litres. Will see how tonight works out and will give it some time because of the med intake. I simply forgot about the pills because my usual morning routine involves taking them in the bathroom. Stuffed them into a separate bag and there you go. They're now sitting in a prominent position :).

Sent from my XT890 using Thaivisa Connect App

I don't think a visa forum is a good choice for a medical diagnosis. It costs very little to see a doctor in Thailand and if necessary your insurance should re-imburse you. You do have insurance, don't you?

This is not about medical diagnosis and yes, I do have insurance. I would not have to pay to see a doctor anyway cause Chula provides health care services for free.

I thought I might just be going through some adjusting problems others could have had as well.

Advice on how to deal with the heat is always a good starting point.

In case it won't get better I'll seek medical assistance, no worries.

Forgetting to take needed thyroid replacement would certainly explain this, especially combined with jet lag and the other stresses inherent in international travel.

I forgot to mention earlier but I find therapeutic massage (Traditional Thai massage, shiatsu etc) to be very helpful for jet lag. Go somewhere like Health Land and get a full 2 hours. I don't know why exactly but it really does the trick for me and often I am not over my jet lag until I do this.

If your problems persist despite that and being back on your usual meds then see a doctor. getting a basic physical check up at any of the major hospitals would probably be a good starting point since your symptoms are so non-specific....making sure they add a full thyroid panel to the labs.

Still awake but already feeling better.

Taking my meds, drinking a lot of water, electrolytes and staying inside airconditioned places for most of the day :).

I also got a back/shoulders/neck massage today cause my back is hard as stone.

Now the sleep needs to kick in :).

Im not a doctor but my father had the same issue (not involving travelling) and eventually he was given thyroid meds which solved it. If you already know you have thyroid issues dont underestimate what neglecting the meds might do to your energy levels.

True, it's probably working its share. I've now got some electrolyte and spent most of today in an air conditioned environment. Had a lot of liquid, too. At least 2 litres. Will see how tonight works out and will give it some time because of the med intake. I simply forgot about the pills because my usual morning routine involves taking them in the bathroom. Stuffed them into a separate bag and there you go. They're now sitting in a prominent position smile.png.

Sent from my XT890 using Thaivisa Connect App

2 litres of water in a tropical environment is NOT a lot of water...particularly if you you are not acclimatised long term.

Take your meds and always have a water bottle at hand and sip constantly during the day. Beware of the electrolyte hype....you lose water generally ...not electrolyte...drink plenty of water.

The easiest way to check if you are hydrated enough is to look at your pee when you go to the toilet. If it is not clear then you need to drink more water...the darker it is the more you need to drink.

if it stays dark for an extended period (say 2 or 3 days after drinking PLENTY of water) then go see a doctor...lack of hydration may not be the issue

Edited by Mudcrab

My probs have gone much better but now I'm suffering from a bronchitis and it so annoys me :(. Sinuses and lungs are my weakness and it was just a question of time until it would happen in this air con environment. I'm inbetween freezing and overheating, no matter whether air on or off. Already taking antibiotics and hope the coughing will soon be gone :(.

What about malaria or dengue fever? Has the OP considered these?

Another thing is diet. In the west we are so naive about this still. Don't burden your body with bad food. If you're body is having a hard time with the climate the last thing you need is all your blood concentrated in your mid section and working overtime to process difficult food. Salad and fruit should be taken. Min per day = 1KG. Ditch the fried food totally.

Edited by RandomSand

Right now it's a bronchitis and sinus infection. Unfortunately nothing new to me, especially not with long flights and aircon :/. The other probs got better with increased water intake and my thyroid meds. Would not know where I should have caught Dengue or Malaria.

I'm a she, by the way :).

Sorry, I of all people should know better, it's just that I've gotten so used to the preponderance of men on this forum!

Do try zinc supplementation, it has been proven to reduce the severity and duration of respiratory infections. In fact as you are prone to them, taking it prophylactically, at least when yo u travel, may be a good idea.

Just a thought. I am not a doctor but have studiously read "alternative and natural health" info for decades, and practice what I can.

"The Importance of Salt"

Salt has been demonized way out of proportion IMO. Perhpas a case can be made against the value of typical table salt as all the minerals etc have been processed out. Natural sea salt retaining all the accompanying minerals can be obtained most anywhere now. Animals commonly lick the highways in winter (I am Canadian) for the salt which is used to remove snow and ice, salt licks are used by hunters to attract deer for an easy hunt. Animals instinctively know what is good for their health.

I cannot post links as a new member but here are some quotes I found about the importance of salt with info to find the link:

How about ancient cultures...

Around the world and throughout history, salt has been cherished both as a healer, preserver and vital symbol of life and blood. It has been considered a token of love and a guard against evil. The Native Americans considered salt a gift of the deity and by keeping it safely in a box, it had the power to ward off evil; in Andalusia, salt is synonymous with grace and charm and to pay a lover a high compliment you call her your "salt box"; and in Morocco people carry salt on them for protection against evil spirits.

see "Bettina Werner Salt More Precious then Gold"

...If you could choose between a pile of salt and a pile of gold, you would probably choose the gold. After all, you know that you can always buy a container of salt for about forty-five cents at the local supermarket. But what if you could not easily get salt, and without it you could not survive? In fact, throughout history salt has been very difficult to obtain in many parts of the world, and people feared a lack of salt the way we in the industrialized world fear a shortage of fuel oil.

see "smithsonianeducation Trading Salt for Gold"

When a person sweats salt is lost which must be replaced. I do not know how much salt is in urine (one source said 2% by mass) but if you are drinking lots of fluids then you are also losing salt thru urinating. This has to be replaced. As a student I worked in a dairy part-time and when we were hot-steaming the pipes after processing the day's milk we were forced to take salt tablets because of the salt our bodies lost thru sweating when steaming the stainless steel piping.

I am not familiar with this author but pretty much agree with this

...Our own cellular makeup and fluids are very similar to sea water, i.e. your tears. Much more than a solution of salt water, the ocean's waters contain a complex combination of minerals and elements.

It is this coincidence that has likely made salt, which is essential to life, the condiment most used for thousands of years.

"Salt" is actually a chemical term for a substance produced by a reaction of an acid with a base. The terms, "salt" and "sodium" are used interchangeably, but technically this is not correct. "Salt" is sodium chloride. By weight, it is 40% sodium and 60% chloride.

Sodium is an essential nutrient, a mineral that the body cannot manufacture itself but which is required for life and good health. Human blood contains 0.9% sodium chloride, or salt—the same concentration as found in saline solutions used to cleanse wounds. That coincidence is why we crave it and why man came to cherish it. ...

Mineral salts create electrolytes. Electrolytes, often called the spark of life, are what carry the electrical currents throughout our bodies - sending messages to the cells in all of the different systems.

Electrolytes are minerals that are also necessary for enzyme production. Enzymes are responsible for breaking down food, for absorbing nutrients, muscle function, hormone production and more.

Our biological need for salt that contains a balance of naturally occurring minerals and trace elements is very real. These minerals must be replenished regularly in order to maintain health.

see "healingnaturallybybee"

Anyway gotta run, just some thoughts to consider.

Doug