Thai Way Of Dealing With Soi Dog..can It Work?

I don't know about the flashlight trick, but a meter long piece of green bamboo that is 3 cm thick, and has a 3 inch screw threaded through one end, will make short work of any soi dog that tries to bite you. Just act like you don't notice it creeping up behind you and then swing around and nail it in the head. If they survive they won't do it a second time. It also works well on men who bother women at night.

Interesting method. I reckon you could use it on some of the Boozoos down on Walking Street early in the mornings too !!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In another town where I lived there were many dogs - not leashed or fenced. On my walking route I carried a small sling shot. I used 1/2 inch (1 cm or so) chrome hex nuts. I found I could pull the slingshot out of my pocket pretty quickly - load a hex nut and shoot a zinger pretty much on target. I did this numerous times to different dogs. After just a couple of times with the dog or group of dogs - I found that they stayed put - barked a bit - but did not come out at me... After a few more times - they usually ran away up seeing me - or when I raised my arms to shoot. The hex huts have a secondary action - even when I missed the dog - the nut gives off an audible and non human audible whistle. Just going by them the hex nut had a great effect.. After a while on my regular route - if I just faced them - they would run away.

Then there is always Pepper Gas -- Works great ...!!!

Yes, these dogs think they are smart. I guess they also follow other certain role models when they attack here, the ones near my appartment, about four or even more..on 1 human..bah.gif

so that means if you do deal with one, you also have the other snapping at you at the same time.

I dont think i would have enough time for the sling shot idea!!

Also like Rene did say, i also like the walking stick idea, i guess more flexible to swing so can take multiple swings and take more than one out with not to much effort..

maybe even drill a whole through the handle and attach a ring with a strap of leather looped around so it can be swung around like a baton.

My ex GF did tell me it was my fault (of course as always dry.png ) because i did look behind at them, and this you are not supposed to do as she said because it makes them stir up.

well sorry but i am not going to look straight ahead and risk that pr7ck sneaking up again to bite and and then have to go for rabies shotsangry.png

• Like 1

In my gated community their are two dogs who have challenged me. While I was walking my two year old, one of the dogs had the audacity to start barking at us. I shielded my son and stood firm and looked the mutt right in the eye with murderous intent. It came closer towards us and for every step it took, I positioned myself in a pose for attack. I actually believed it may attack so I decieded when we engaged in fight I would go for its balls.

It barked and started towards me, I pushed my son to one side and went for the dog, I grabbed it balls and tried to bite them. Knowing what I was trying to do, the dog flew away at high speed and now everytime its sees me, it legs it quick.

Dogs learn fast and Soi dogs learn faster.

Funny thing was my adreniline was pumping so fast, I actually given the chance would of bit his balls off.

i find that very hard to believecheesy.gif

A friend assures me, that the flashlight works (at least for a single dog).

But it must be a new generation type of LED flashlight (better than 200 lumen).

This will blind any eye for quite a while on a short distance.

If you buy a big one, you can also it as a club.

In Thailand you can buy flashlights with an integrated taser.

I have such a thing but no brave dogs in our village biggrin.png

Thanks Khun benq, this was the sort of thing i was hoping to hear. Actually when i first did see the Thai guy with the Flashlight i thought what a good idea but want sure if it would be practical.

I dont really fancy fighting the buggers hand to hand as they do bring their mates with them and you can soon be heavily outnumbered.

Also the flashlight does look pretty expensive so im not going to risk breaking one by using it like a club on the thick heads of these useless pieces of <deleted>.wink.png

But i think i have my plan sorted now

Will carry the flashlight in left hand and keep it switched on when walking,like the thai guy did..while the bedpost club fits snug from my deep pocket shorts hidden under my right arm and ready for quick use.

I then have a tandem attack method if fighting off a few, first blinding any who come close and swing the club at the same time. Or blinding each one quickly and smashing the bRstard on the noggun as hard as i possibly can.

I am pretty sure i can handle a few of them with this methodcool.png

This will also be very good training for dealing with the two legged variety back home if ever walking the streets of Cabramatta at night whistling.gif

Edited by tingtongtourist

90% of all dogs are just fine. That includes the soi dogs. It is the other 10% we've got to worry about. Most of the grumpy ones are just guarding their turf. Once you pass by they give up interest. However, there are a few that you have to watch out for. Some will sneek up behind you and give you a nip, but seldom a really bad bite. Usually, it's not too bad and more than an annoyance than anything. For whatever reason, a few dogs will take a disliking for certain individuals and harass them while ignoring other people. However, there are a very small number of dogs that are truly nasty and should be put down. That is a polite way of saying "exterminated". There are a few people like that as well. It is for those very few nasty dogs that I carry the bamboo walking stick. I've still got the scars on my left leg after being attacked by a pitt bull terrier cross breed. That is NOT going to happen to me again.

• Like 1

Also the flashlight does look pretty expensive so im not going to risk breaking one by using it like a club on the thick heads of these useless pieces of <deleted>.wink.png

Just a high end example. My friend is a flashlight freak/collector (more "investments" in the pipeline).

At many roadside stalls and shoppping malls you will find cheap stuff which is good enough (well below 1000 Baht).

Mine cost 800 and probably farang overpriced.

NO need to abuse the animal with a screw on the end of a stick, ( and then admits it ? ) carry small squirt gun or bottle and fill it with vinegar and aim to the eye.

squirting vinegar into an animals eye is not abuse ?

I have gone through 4 quarts of vinegar to keep my dog off my new trees. I think she likes it now.smile.png The last time she grabbed the plastic vinegar bottle and ran away with it. Oh, I tried black pepper too. She thinks it's snuff.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I have a soi dog that I raised from a pup. Nice dog. Short hair and well suited to the climate. I don't seem to have any problems with other soi dogs.

They all look the same soi dogs dont they, kinda like Australian dingo looking.

Years ago when I first saw them I asked myself, "how the dingos get to Thailand." They look almost the same to me. Dingo on right.

Bingo!

I recommend "The Dingo in Australia and Asia" by Laurie Corbett. As he explains, dingoes are actually from southeast Asia and were introduced to Australia by Indonesian sailors. Dingoes are still running around Thailand as village dogs living in the way they have always lived with a very close relationship to people (i.e. differently to the way they live in Australia). Usually dismissed as strays, they should actually be considered part of Thailand's native fauna. These days most dingo-like dogs are more likely to be dingo-domestic dog crosses (for example, dingoes have bushy tails unlike your photo on the left).

In my gated community their are two dogs who have challenged me. While I was walking my two year old, one of the dogs had the audacity to start barking at us. I shielded my son and stood firm and looked the mutt right in the eye with murderous intent. It came closer towards us and for every step it took, I positioned myself in a pose for attack. I actually believed it may attack so I decieded when we engaged in fight I would go for its balls.

It barked and started towards me, I pushed my son to one side and went for the dog, I grabbed it balls and tried to bite them. Knowing what I was trying to do, the dog flew away at high speed and now everytime its sees me, it legs it quick.

Funny thing was my adreniline was pumping so fast, I actually given the chance would of bit his balls off.

So was this a tall dog, or were you on your knees?

Maybe he's a midget? unsure.png

• Like 1

NO need to abuse the animal with a screw on the end of a stick, ( and then admits it ? ) carry small squirt gun or bottle and fill it with vinegar and aim to the eye.

Read EVERYTHING I wrote; not just the bits your object to. If you approve of dogs attacking humans then you are not much better than the dog in question. I love dogs more than most humans, but there are some that should be removed from society by any means possible. The Thais are not going to do it and neither are the "thugs" in North America that keep nasty fighting breeds that WILL attack with the intent to kill.

Jezus got some crazy people on here.

I wonder why i don't read more about people being bit by dogs, probably because soi dogs that bite wont stay around long. The Thais don't like them. Here in the village we got some soi dogs (just dogs who sleep outside but they are taken care of). The bark at people... i got dogs too.. im not afraid of a dog barking at me. 99% of it is pure posing.

is that why i see dogs carrying flashlights now

I have a soi dog that I raised from a pup. Nice dog. Short hair and well suited to the climate. I don't seem to have any problems with other soi dogs.

They all look the same soi dogs dont they, kinda like Australian dingo looking.

Years ago when I first saw them I asked myself, "how the dingos get to Thailand." They look almost the same to me. Dingo on right.

any babies gone missing (australian joke )

I was bitten by a dog at our village. The < Snip > owner just doesn't give a shit about his many dogs running loose around the village. I walk around with an Airsoft bb gun and have used it once with really great effect. The dog stayed behind the fence - next time around.

Edited by metisdead

Two most effective methods I have found.

1) Show no fear hold head high stand ground ignore the dog it confuses them.As soon as the tail drops from being straight up they generally become docile. You then have a dog that respects you and leaves you alone in future, after the initial bark to announce your arrival.

2) If above fails dog is intent on being aggressive bend down obviously looking like you are picking something up, and then in a exaggerated movement look like you will throw rock or what ever at them 99% run at this point.

Remember most soi dogs are territorial and scared of people and show fear by barking etc,Over 15 years of dealing with Thai dogs never once bitten.

My effective method is to carry a length of blue plastic water pipe. Usually just waving the pipe makes the dog run. However, if a dog comes for me, I get off my bike and advance on the dog. So far, they have always backed off, and I follow them to their home, where they bark at me safe on their owner's property. After that, they usually leave me alone.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I can't help thinking that while all these stick wielding, pepper spray carrying, water (vinegar) pistol packing foreigners may keep the dogs at bay, they look stupid. And for the latter two, by the time that you have determined that the dog is about to attack, you are too late in drawing your weapon of choice.

Unless, you are in need of some support when walking, in Bangkok and the burbs, why would anyone carry a stick every where they go just on the off chance they meet an angry dog.

... why would anyone carry a stick every where they go just on the off chance they meet an angry dog.

It's more than an off chance, isn't it? There are stray dogs everywhere, and while most of those I see while out on my bike don't bother me at all, I can't depend on none of them causing trouble, so I carry a collapsible baton - unobtrusive but easily deployed if necessary. Most people I see out walking carry a stick of some sort.

... why would anyone carry a stick every where they go just on the off chance they meet an angry dog.

It's more than an off chance, isn't it? There are stray dogs everywhere, and while most of those I see while out on my bike don't bother me at all, I can't depend on none of them causing trouble, so I carry a collapsible baton - unobtrusive but easily deployed if necessary. Most people I see out walking carry a stick of some sort.

really, i never see anyone carrying anything.

I can't help thinking that while all these stick wielding, pepper spray carrying, water (vinegar) pistol packing foreigners may keep the dogs at bay, they look stupid. And for the latter two, by the time that you have determined that the dog is about to attack, you are too late in drawing your weapon of choice.

Unless, you are in need of some support when walking, in Bangkok and the burbs, why would anyone carry a stick every where they go just on the off chance they meet an angry dog.

I can see the dog and have my stick out long before the dog gets near.

I'd rather look stupid than have rabies shots.

Not everyone lives in Bkk etc. Many of us live in villages and small towns where we WILL meet angry dogs.

• Like 1

I once bought a collapsible baton for use when out on my bike, but soon realized that by the time I had got it anywhere near usable form, I would already have been bitten so ended up dumping it. Dogs are usually nearly upon you before you can make out whether they are friendly, indifferent, all bark but no bite or just plain nasty. Stopping your bike when you see a dog ahead to see if it is going to run at you will actually work against you. Indifferent dogs may not treat you indifferently if you do not act indifferently to them. They tend to take such approaches as a threat, and become aggressive.

Not everyone lives in Bkk etc. Many of us live in villages and small towns where we WILL meet angry dogs.

That is why I said the latter two, meaning pper spray or gun. A stick can be wielded without delay, The last paragraph mentions where? BKK and the burbs? Not villages. When out in the sticks, sticks can be useful. I have found, however, that dogs that have previously ignored me have become aggressive when carrying a stick (in my case when carrying fishing rods). Obviously, they have been beaten in the past so the stick scares them and they become aggressive.

In my time in BKK I have had three sets of rabies shots and everytime it was my own fault. A real pain in the arrrrrm.

I once bought a collapsible baton for use when out on my bike, but soon realized that by the time I had got it anywhere near usable form, I would already have been bitten so ended up dumping it. Dogs are usually nearly upon you before you can make out whether they are friendly, indifferent, all bark but no bite or just plain nasty. Stopping your bike when you see a dog ahead to see if it is going to run at you will actually work against you. Indifferent dogs may not treat you indifferently if you do not act indifferently to them. They tend to take such approaches as a threat, and become aggressive.

That is why I said the latter two, meaning pper spray or gun. A stick can be wielded without delay, The last paragraph mentions where? BKK and the burbs? Not villages. When out in the sticks, sticks can be useful. I have found, however, that dogs that have previously ignored me have become aggressive when carrying a stick (in my case when carrying fishing rods). Obviously, they have been beaten in the past so the stick scares them and they become aggressive.

In my time in BKK I have had three sets of rabies shots and everytime it was my own fault. A real pain in the arrrrrm.

<That is why I said the latter two>

My post was directly before yours, so I thought you were referring to mine, and the reference to Bkk must have been on a previous page. Helps if you identify which post you are referring to.

Modified to allow posting.

about 4 yrs ago I was attacked by a soi dog in Soi Khao Talo... sure enough I got bitten on my forearm but I ripped its front legs apart..... exit one soi dog....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app