Mazda Deck Cover

jaiyenyen

The Super Up I got for my D-Max was about 28-30K sorry I can't remember the exact figure. It can be opened from inside the car via a button on the dashboard and locks with the central locking. I shall be installing the same system on the BT 50 3.2R when I get it.

aero partial electrc are about 18000 (plus about 500 for paint matching). THere are two kinds available in general - Plastic or fibreglass. THe F/G tend to be dearer and heavier.

THere are some carbon fibre ones too if weight is important.

For Mazda BT50? AFAIK not available yet.

THe basic hinged models are cheapest, but then they severely restrict the kind of loads you ca put in the bak. I did have a single-hinged one that was reasonably quickly detachable.

At present I have an Aeroklas plastic/electric that raises up to be level with the cab roof. The sad thing about this is that my Thai friends look on it as a potential passenger compartment. (The stays are lockable in the "up" position).

One thing you need to look at is the overall aesthetics and fit.

I would say that some of the designs available are extremely ugly and fail to follow or compliment the lines of the vehicle. In short they aren't actually professionally "designed" or "styled" but simply "built"....others look like they were conceived from some schoolboy's fantasy doodle on his exercise book!

Fitting - some of these really don't fit that well - check how rain-proof they are.

With the fibreglass models especially the quality of fit/finish can be terrible; they look like they have been moulded in chewing gum! They quite often rely on a close-fitting or abutting seal, but this is a recipe for failure down the road. THe "better" ones tend to have a design of overlapping edges, this allows for shift and change over the years whilst still maintaining good weather protection. I don't think any of the plastic or fibreglass are completely dust-proof. The roller blind would be your best bet there.

The plastic ones tend to have a more uniform quality and shape due to the manufacturing process.

A good idea is to look at older examples that have been fitted to vehicle for a few years and see how well they have stood up to the test of time - the fibreglass ones in particular seem to look particularly shabby. Fibreglass seems to ripple and undulate as it ages.

Another problem can be the fitting itself. My first lid was so badly fitted by the retailer that in the end I had a replacement fitted at the factory (the original Top was warped, but would the retailers admit it? would they hell!).

The current one I had color matched (500 baht) - quite satisfactory, but still had to go back for some minor adjustments and alignment. I also had a problem with the wiring for the electric motor.

Choose your supplier carefully - you rally want to be confident that there is post sale customer care - a rare thing in Thailand at the best of times.

Edited by wilcopops