Entered The Country, Didn't Get Stamped In!

A weeks ago I had an American come into my internet shop to use the fax. He started to tell me about a story of him going to Cambodia to renew his visa, the first time he had done this. He said he went out of Thailand, got a Cambodian stamp, came back into Thailand, and his passport wasn't stamped. I asked how did this happen. He said he came back into Thailand, there were immigration officers standing around and chating, no one approached or stopped him, so he just walked through thinking it was ok. I've seen his passport as he was faxing copies to his lawyer, and there was a Cambodian stamp, and no Thai stamp.

After he realised what was wrong he went to immigration in Bangkok and told them what had happened. They didn't believe him and he was arrested. They said it was impossible for this to happen. He was released on bail and was in contact with the US embassy who said that they couldn't help him, so he has found a lawyer now to fight his case. I haven't spoken to him for 2 weeks, the last I heard was the lawyer had looked at all the documents and had said, typically, no problem don't worry, immigration are just trying to cover up thier mistake.

Unbelievable?

A weeks ago I had an American come into my internet shop to use the fax. He started to tell me about a story of him going to Cambodia to renew his visa, the first time he had done this. He said he went out of Thailand, got a Cambodian stamp, came back into Thailand, and his passport wasn't stamped. I asked how did this happen. He said he came back into Thailand, there were immigration officers standing around and chating, no one approached or stopped him, so he just walked through thinking it was ok. I've seen his passport as he was faxing copies to his lawyer, and there was a Cambodian stamp, and no Thai stamp.

After he realised what was wrong he went to immigration in Bangkok and told them what had happened. They didn't believe him and he was arrested. They said it was impossible for this to happen. He was released on bail and was in contact with the US embassy who said that they couldn't help him, so he has found a lawyer now to fight his case. I haven't spoken to him for 2 weeks, the last I heard was the lawyer had looked at all the documents and had said, typically, no problem don't worry, immigration are just trying to cover up thier mistake.

Unbelievable?

Did he get a stamp out of Thailand when he went to Cambodia ?

Did he get a stamp out of Thailand when he went to Cambodia ?
dr pp, thats the first answer i would like to know, which i believe is yes

if he had that exit stamp. why would he be arrested? he would have had a thai exit stamp, cambodian visa, cambodian exit stamp but missing his 30 on entry and was in immigration to take care of it

He was released on bail and was in contact with the US embassy who said that they couldn't help him

i find this hard to believe that the US embassy would turn their back on this and let a US citizen go to jail for an immigration mistake.

something is missing from this story, either the guy was RUDE or missing that exit stamp...my gut feeling is he mouthed off because they made him wait in a chair for a while...i just can't picture him walking into immigration and the cuffs being slapped on within minutes.

wcr, describe the guy alittle...

Huski

I don't know this guy, just got talking to him when he was faxing everything over to his lawyer. He appeared a gentle type of guy to me, early 50's and really seemed to be concerned. He said the US embassy said it was an immigration problem and they couldn't get involved. He was arrested and questioned and then released, but on bail. He appeared genuine to me, but who knows. His lawyer was very laid back about it all from what I could gather. But I only heard his side of the story, he was certainly missing the stamp as he showed me!

he was certainly missing the stamp as he showed me!
we believe he was missing the 30 day visa stamp, its the thai departure stamp that we were wondering
He said the US embassy said it was an immigration problem and they couldn't get involved. He was arrested and questioned and then released, but on bail.

this is confusing, the US embassy is suppose to be notified and help their citizen's

If you are the victim of a crime while overseas, in addition to reporting to local police, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance. The embassy/consulate staff can, for example, assist you to find appropriate medical care, to contact family members or friends, and explain how funds could be transferred. Although the investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help you to understand the local criminal justice process and to find an attorney if needed.
Consular Information Sheet . THAILAND
His lawyer was very laid back about it all from what I could gather

of course he was laid back, easiest money he has ever made. its a <deleted>' open close case as his client shouldn't have been arrested, thats what is so puzzling.

QUOTE ON FIRST PARAGRAPH HERE:

He was arrested and questioned and then released, but on bail. He appeared genuine to me, but who knows. His lawyer was very laid back about it all from what I could gather.

My Response.

Wonderful. Now we know he did get arrested, and is out on bail. Now he has to deal with the court system, his money spent on bail, and lawyers fees. Being a Tourist that really does su*k.

I now wonder if he is allowed to leave?????? If he can, maybe he should consider it and save his hard earned money even though this incident is not ( supposingly ) his fault. I think there is more to this story than what we are reading here and of what he might be saying also.

I remain very skeptical of this incident.

:D:o

Daveyoti

I now wonder if he is allowed to leave?????? If he can, maybe he should consider it and save his hard earned money even though this incident is not ( supposingly ) his fault

of course he can't leave, don't you know what bail means? he didn't get fined, he was arrested and now has to go to court.

you actually want him to try and leave to save money, then he will be thrown back in jail with a new charge.

DaveYo, bail is granted by a court of law and usually is subect to certain conditions laid down by the court. This includes bail - amount to guarantee the stay of the bailee as well as, may be, a reporting system, a fixed address, travel restrictions a.s.o. It depends what the court feels is necessary and might even include deposit of your travel documents (passport). We don't know which conditions have been set.

One thing for sure, if a bailee does not appear at the court hearing(s) the bail is cancelled and the amount confiscated, a warrant for arrest is issued, immigration might be informed and, if he is out of the country he will be blacklisted.

To jump bail is a very serious offence.