I Did A Dumb Thing

they asked me for 2500thb ( + regular 2000thb non-imm b cost ) for the visa. explaining that they use 2k for the office ppl and 500 they split amongst themselves blah blah blah. i wanted to pay 1000 thb, they wouldn't go that far. i think 1500 thb - 2000 thb was possible, as they were talking about 'calling their agency and negotiating a discount' :) but i had all the time in the world so wouldn't go higher than 1k. when i was picking up the visa the next day ( took only about 15-20 minutes, no idea why people queue up in front of the locked gates ), I saw a few of the guys from outside also picking up the passports.

yeah multiple entry non-imm. visa not possible in vientane... found out when handing them the form, ugh :(

I suspect there was a misunderstanding and that 2,000 would have been the visa cost (for officials) and the 500 baht would have been there fee which could be negotiated. Nobody (well almost nobody) is going to pay 2,500 baht extra to use an agent for normal service.

for futrue referance;

Thai tourist visa from Thai embassy in Phnom Penh is $40

$45 if use agent ( turn in monday, back on thursday)

$50 for faster service. ( turn in Monday, back on Weds

Penang, KL, Singapore turn in monday back on tuesday afternoon.

Laos, never used so dont know so can some one chip in price?

I suspect there was a misunderstanding and that 2,000 would have been the visa cost (for officials) and the 500 baht would have been there fee which could be negotiated. Nobody (well almost nobody) is going to pay 2,500 baht extra to use an agent for normal service.

No misunderstanding. They bluntly said 4500 thb and refused my counter offer of 3000 thb

They already try to charge you 100 thb for filling out and copying your documents 'to put things into perspective'. ( There is a copy machine inside the consulate for much much cheaper )

Edited by disagree

100 baht for service does not compute to 2,500 baht for submission in my mind. Are you sure they did not believe you wanted the same day service (where a price would likely be much higher than normal)? Can not believe it is that hard to obtain visa yourself to be worth that amount to travelers who do this often.

100 baht for service does not compute to 2,500 baht for submission in my mind. Are you sure they did not believe you wanted the same day service (where a price would likely be much higher than normal)? Can not believe it is that hard to obtain visa yourself to be worth that amount to travelers who do this often.

No, it was not the same-day service. I was very clear in my request, and their English was quite clear as well.

It's not hard to obtain the visa yourself, just some people are tired and want to just have it over with I guess. I had all the time in the world.

Just wrote a report on my trip, you can read it here :

for futrue referance;

Thai tourist visa from Thai embassy in Phnom Penh is $40

$45 if use agent ( turn in monday, back on thursday)

$50 for faster service. ( turn in Monday, back on Weds

Penang, KL, Singapore turn in monday back on tuesday afternoon.

Laos, never used so dont know so can some one chip in price?

Can I just add in KL they close for all Thai holidays and a lot of Malay ones consult this years malay holidays KL is in the federal territory I think.Despite being Muslim they open Fridays

http://publicholidays.com.my/2013-2/

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Personally I would never give my passport to any 3rd party again but thats just me.

Did it in the past got severely burnt also via an agent, however bit different as we used to give passport for actual visa run.

Im sure it will be fine.

Just to add

In Phnom Penh I paid US $ 50 to a travel agent for obtaining a tourist visa single entry ( all in cost), did notice one offering same service at $ 45 afterwards.

No issue with that.

In Vientiane the touts/agents outside seemed to be asking 2000 Baht extra,I sorted it myself, queuing etc.so didn`t use them.

I didn`t think to ask at my hotel in Vientiane, guess I`d have paid 1000-1500 extra if it had been offered, just to save time.

Safest way is to give it your hotel clerk, or a travel agency. You know where to find them.

Next time, check out Saigon. The airfare is usually much cheaper, and the embassy there is fantastic and quiet.

$25 visa on arrival fee + $15 to get a legit invite letter online + airfare. Just to grab a thai tourist visa?

Safest way is to give it your hotel clerk, or a travel agency. You know where to find them.

Next time, check out Saigon. The airfare is usually much cheaper, and the embassy there is fantastic and quiet.

$25 visa on arrival fee + $15 to get a legit invite letter online + airfare. Just to grab a thai tourist visa?

Plus you would only get a single entry and need to show a ticket out of Thailand.

Plus you would only get a single entry and need to show a ticket out of Thailand.

Airfare from BKK to SGN is cheaper than BKK to Vientiane, as I stated in the post.

Same day turnaround, no line, no waiting, excellent English spoken.

Have a great day!

Airfare from BKK to SGN is cheaper than BKK to Vientiane, as I stated in the post.

But most people concerned with airfare fly to Udon (which is much cheaper than either Vientiane or Saigon and only about an hour away by land).

Chinese New Year? Where you get that smile.png

01/21/2013 Substitute for Lao National Military Day

http://vientiane.tha...y/embassy_time/

maybe their version but CNY is Feb 10 or 12 forget exact date

It was right before I got there. One of the guys had to wait a day longer because of it. He quoted the embassy staff or some Laos people, and these list http://www.flightpedia.org/holiday/laos-public-holidays-2013.html and http://www.schoolholidaysguide.com/public-holidays/laos-public-holiday-2013-calendar/

But don't ask me, I didn't believe it neither... :)

Couldn't find cheap fares to Saigon. Udon + minibus seemed to be cheapest

But most people concerned with airfare fly to Udon (which is much cheaper than either Vientiane or Saigon and only about an hour away by land).

When I used to do the 90 day runs, I looked forward to them as a vacation. Sitting on a bus for 14 hours? Can't do that. I found the embassy in Vientiane slow, hot, inhospitable. The food was nothing extraordinary, nor were the sights to see special. But Saigon was great. Cheap excellent food, cheap, clean, friendly lodging. Many interesting things to do and see. And the embassy was empty but for me. Very friendly, answered many questions, spoke fine English. No "hidden charges." Same day service. Double entry 90 days available.

That's just me ...

Chinese New Year? Where you get that smile.png

01/21/2013 Substitute for Lao National Military Day

http://vientiane.tha...y/embassy_time/

maybe their version but CNY is Feb 10 or 12 forget exact date

It was right before I got there. One of the guys had to wait a day longer because of it. He quoted the embassy staff or some Laos people, and these list http://www.flightped...idays-2013.html and http://www.schoolhol...-2013-calendar/

But don't ask me, I didn't believe it neither... smile.png

Couldn't find cheap fares to Saigon. Udon + minibus seemed to be cheapest

Yeah, it can take some advance planning. Air Asia has deals. I flew for 5000 baht, round trip. Have to bookmark their page and check daily. Tickets go fast.

I got a double, showing the ticket. But that was almost two years ago. Don;'t know now ...