Why The Architecture Of Every Thai City Looks Same?

Sandman77

Check out our bad a$$ new auditorium. A little architectural eye candy for ya - http://www.op.mahido...auditorium.html (Opening Dec. 2013!)
Thats sweet! Like futuristic Thai lanna style. Whats the build cost?

By the time its finished, 1.5 billion baht

Sorry but 1.5million baht? thats way to cheap are you sure? not 15 or 150 million baht?

Our house cost just over a million baht to build and its nowhere that big!

1,500,000,000 baht lol as stated (original cost was estimated at 950,000,000 but the acoustics weren't up to my boss's expectations to he raised cain until they got Muller Company here (Same firm that did acoustics for Esplanade in Singapore)

To the op, I think its because Thailands a small country. Its not big enough to have big differences in building styles. Here in Australia theres not that much difference really and we could fit alot of Thailands in our country.

There are a lot more buildings and people in Thailand then in Australia.

Totally agree with you, I've always thought the same thing. It's horrific. 7-11's, pertrol sations and townhouses, same same everywhere. My brother commented on it when he come here for a visit.

Beautiful Thailand eh. Ha ha ha. The place is a dump.

Edited by hotandhumid

You can add to that why is every Thai town from minute to metropolis an inferno of noise and concrete? Why hasn't any Thai thought about planting some threes?

.....Not been to the 'Garden-City' of ChiangMai?....plenty of trees with plenty of noise and pollution thumbsup.gif

Another reason is because of the books of house plans. Most are based on government approved plans (with some variations). These concrete houses are cheap and quick to build.

As a developer I would not invest in anything more than the market demands. From my experience, if its too fancy, Thai people in the country don't want it over and above the features like stainless railings, aluminum windows and doors, maybe a dimmer switch in the master bedroom and a ceiling fan or two.

Experimented with channelled wiring and two many lights, but it just was not important. For many, a simple concrete house is 'up' and so long as other houses around are the same, no one can look down on them.

I guess in cities, this stance might be changing as bigger firms using adventurous architects start getting involved.

Coming through Mae Sariang, Hot, Chom Thong, Doi Lo, San Pa Tong, and Hang Dong on highway 108 today I couldn't tell one village from the other. They all looked the same. Spin me around 3 times and plonk me down in one of the fore mentioned villages and I wouldn't know where I was until I asked someone.

Check out our bad a$$ new auditorium. A little architectural eye candy for ya - http://www.op.mahido...auditorium.html (Opening Dec. 2013!)

Since its more than two thirds of the way through its construction have you got any photos of what it looks like now?

Architects designs and reality are often quite different in Thailand.

If you had read further down the thread you would have seen more, but Im happy to support your laziness ;)

post-168665-0-46333300-1359434709_thumb.