Whats Up With The Locals Admiration For Hitler?!

LuukKoeyKorat

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That part in history has been erased from Thai history and is not taught at any level.

I could be wrong, but from memory, i read that during WW2, Thailand was going to join with Hitler, but was warned by USA if they do, USA would drop a nuke.

Me, not German but the Thai army likes the goose step and the German designed cap, which we see a lot. BUT, perhaps the perception is that at the time the ''Nazi'' army was a formidable force so perhaps here they want that same ''grandeur''.

• Like 1

Thailand was occupied by Japan but closely cooperated with Japan with its own pro Axis fascist government, so in many ways Thailand was on the same side with Hitler. Of course so was Japan and Italy, etc., but they're over that and different cultures. Thailand's culture isn't into truth telling when it might make Thais look bad, so you can imagine how poorly the subject is taught to most Thai students not to mention popular culture. Here in Pattaya it is not rare to see large heroic paintings of Hitler in full swastika proudly displayed in FRONT of their "art" shops. Right now in Pattaya you can see this display across the street from the main Friendship market.

Edited by Jingthing

@ Jingthing- that's mad! The most disturbing thing about this is the nonchalance and almost naivety how he is praised. Makes me feel uncomfortable and disturbed about what is taught in schools over here. I can understand the whole 'militaristic' appeal of it...after all, LOS is a country full of uniforms, but the lack of comprehension is just....weird.

I could be wrong, but from memory, i read that during WW2, Thailand was going to join with Hitler, but was warned by USA if they do, USA would drop a nuke.

Off topic, but probably not true since the war in Europe ended on 7th May 1945, first nuke dropped on 6th August 1945.

The nuke was in the making, soooooooo the threat could be real eh.

Off topic, but probably not true since the war in Europe ended on 7th May 1945, first nuke dropped on 6th August 1945.
like i said i do not recall the full details, i ONLY recall that Thailand was going to join with Hitler and then something happened that involved USA

Also i believe the dates for the end of war are incorrect as the victory day celebrated in Russia is 9 May,Germany surrendered unconditionally on the 9th, not the 7th, but this did not include Japanwai.gif

Edited by lemoncake

I knew a Japanese gal I met in Thailand that told me that she never knew the truth about ww2 until she was 20 when she confronted her father after returning as a foriegn exchange student

Edited by metisdead
: Bold font removed.

It was a European War between Europeans and peoples of European origin. The general population of Thailand and Asia have as much interest in European wars as Europeans have in Asian wars between Asians.

It was a world war actually and Asia was VERY involved in it.

The part involving Hitler was European, he is the subject matter, not the Japanese involvement.

It was a European War between Europeans and peoples of European origin. The general population of Thailand and Asia have as much interest in European wars as Europeans have in Asian wars between Asians.

So why the big interest and admiration in SE Asia for Hitler? A European warmonger?

It was a world war actually and Asia was VERY involved in it.

The part involving Hitler was European, he is the subject matter, not the Japanese involvement.

...ahm...since he is the one person and Germany being the one nation that is basically responsible for WW2...which part didn't involve Hitler?

Jan 25, 1942 Thailand declares war on the United States and England

They were already on the same side.

• Like 2

Nazi Germany was a country of nationalists.

Thailand is a country of nationalists.

They even talk the same nonsense, master race, sub races, etc.

Thailand has a huge amount in common with Nazi Germany.

Under pressure from Japan, the Phibun regime declared war on Britain and the United States in January 1942, but the Thai ambassador in Washington, Seni Pramoj, refused to deliver the declaration to the United States government

http://countrystudies.us/thailand/21.htm

As a Kraut, this response never ceases to totally surprise and dismay me. Don't they teach the reality and horrors of Nazism in the classroom? Of the effects of WWII ? Is the subject ignored in general history lessons in Thai schools? Any other Germans have the same experiences as me?

take a wild guess what a German like me experienced during a decade in the Middle East whistling.gif

• Like 2

The general Thai will not and does not know anything about either of the World Wars, WWI or WW2. As for the admiration of Hitler, his Nazis & the party, just Google the keywords "nazi Thailand", and see the amount of reports there are of students dressing up in the uniforms of the SS and alike at various schools (Thai and some international) for parades etc.

Now I taught at a Thai school, and we all know which ever country we are from will doctor the teachings of history to how they want you to know it. From what I saw at this school the kids, at Phratom 5 level, did not know any history at all, especially their own country's. So is history actually taught in Thailand? smile.png

The general Thai will not and does not know anything about either of the World Wars, WWI or WW2. As for the admiration of Hitler, his Nazis & the party, just Google the keywords "nazi Thailand", and see the amount of reports there are of students dressing up in the uniforms of the SS and alike at various schools (Thai and some international) for parades etc.

Now I taught at a Thai school, and we all know which ever country we are from will doctor the teachings of history to how they want you to know it. From what I saw at this school the kids, at Phratom 5 level, did not know any history at all, especially their own country's. So is history actually taught in Thailand? smile.png

I generally see it as an education issue also, Thais that dress this way just like the uniform. Ignorant, yes but also forgivable, a British prince wouldn't be forgiven for dressing like that though would he?.

• Like 1