Whats Up With The Locals Admiration For Hitler?!

LuukKoeyKorat

The parades in Nazi- uniforms are just tasteless and I don't know, what is their actual purpose and I wonder, if people knew about his policies (inkl. the fact, that he would have probably killed all Thais in his search for the perfect "arian" human), if they would go on with this bullshit.

I find it strange though, how easy they could be offended by ...whatever...but think, that they offend no one.

But I guess, here is where it comes full circle: the view of ones own "superiority" towards others.

But surely it's only politically correct, culturally imperialistic, thin-skinned westerners that take offence over issues like these?

But, wait a minute....

http://www.thaivisa....buddha-toilets/

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

methinks, since Thais cannot name but one famous German (never heard of Beethoven, Schiller, Karl Marx, Charlemagne, Luther) etc) the choice always ends up with odd bloody Adolf being the mostly recognizable "german VIP leader".

It has to do with the simplicity of thai thinking and maybe the glamour of the uniforms and some dim remembrance of having heard about him while attending school . .

I think many of them are familiar with "Mel-Sadies" Ben. Also "Bee" Em-Dobun-yu

B M Dobonyu - definitely a Polish immigrant.

whistling.gif Having studied History at University level I can say with confidence that ALL countries, mine included ( I'm from the U.S.) tailor their history to suit the curent public perception of their nations History.

Examples are the American Revolution and it's causes, the British actions in the 19th century in India and the "Opium Wars" in China, the French actions in Algeria and in Indochina.

I could go on but that would be pointless.

Do you know the line from the book "Animal Farm", where the Pigs tell the rest of the animals that, "History is simply what we tell you it is"?

Bet you don't, that line is not widely qouted these days ,,, not popular with governments, you see.

The thais have a collective will not to think about their history in WW2 ,,,, and therefore they simply avoid the topic.

But before you Brits jump to conclusions about the Thais and WW2 let me give you some real facts.

In 1942, the U.K. simply couldn't afford any more bad war news.

So they generated a number of popular myths .... let's just call them half truths.

One was that it was the Thais "cowardness" in letting the Japanese come through Thailand into Malaya that caused the British loss of Malaya and Singapore.

Like most "facts" this is a gross oversimplification of the true events of that time.

In fact, in 1934 .... before WW2 started.... a then Secret estimate of the outcome of a conflict in Malaya and Singapore determined that Malaya and Singapore were basically undefendable against a sustained Japanese attack.

One of the people involved in this accesment was Winston Churchill.

He was fully aware of this classified accessment and when the war in Europe broke out it was one of the reasons he had to chose to let Malaya and Singapore go ... the British simply did not have the forces to defend Singapore and Malaya. This classified accessment was not declassified and released until well after the war ended, But the point is, that to hide the bad news about Malaya and Singapore Churchill simply lied to the British public about the real situation.

Part of that false information was that the Thais "cowardly" simply allowed the Japanese to cross Thailns into Malaya.

Actually there were a number of battles fought by the Thais against the Japanese landings,

For his own political reasons (he needed Japanese support) the Thai military dictator running the government ordered his forces (as Head of all Thai forces) ordered his men to cease all military resistance againt the Japanese.

But that's old history now anyhow, and if your really interested you can look it up on the net.

Bottom line .... ALL goverments do not give full and accurate information, they ALWAYS filter the facts to fit their desired endl. That applies today as well.

As to Hitler, many young Thais, having hever heard of the death camps or the Nazi attrocities simply see him as "cool".

Pat of that is they way that wearing "Hitler" T-shirts p-sses of the pompous farangs.

whistling.gif

• Like 2

Good that it isn't well known that Hitler is Austrian.....

That the Thais admire Hitler is just silly.

(a few years ago I asked a Thai about the swastica he had tatooed. He told me he has it because Hitler was a great communist and he is communist as well crazy.gifcrazy.gif. That explained it so well that no further discussion was necessary.)

In Germany and Austria you go in prision if you just discuss something about Hitler....

I won't ever understand how someone can admire murders, if it is Hitler or a other flavor like Mao, Che, Stalin, Churchill etc etc etc etc.

But on the other hand it doesn't do much harm. Much worse is that most people don't care about the wars now.

Thais don't have an anti-Semitic bone in their bodies.

Are you so sure about that?

In taking on Thailand, the level of abuse hurled at me has been almost as bad as in my first divorce. It is terror and it is amusing actually. I have encountered more anti-Semitism in Thailand than in Russia, which is amazing.

In Thailand, I have totally unexpectedly encountered this massive wave of anti-Semitism – very public, very weird references that you would have seen in a German paper in the 1930s, but really out there in the modern press. It is really quite shocking.

http://iiviannamasso...lâ€/

Yes I understand many Thai people have a legitimate beef with Robert Amsterdam over his support of Thaksin. But why is his Jewishness relevant to that?

I recall LOTS of public anti-semitic political speech, very hateful stuff, here during the financial meltdown in the late 1990s, related to George Soros.

I have read multiple times that elite class of Thailand is deeply anti-semitic and lets not forget Thailand was led by a blatant fascist PM in WW2.

Antisemitism is a weird sickness. You can have it without Jews. Thailand has almost no Jews.

Edited by Jingthing

(a few years ago I asked a Thai about the swastica he had tatooed. He told me he has it because Hitler was a great communist and he is communist as well crazy.gifcrazy.gif. That explained it so well that no further discussion was necessary.)

In Germany and Austria you go in prision if you just discuss something about Hitler....

I won't ever understand how someone can admire murders, if it is Hitler or a other flavor like Mao, Che, Stalin, Churchill etc etc etc etc.

But on the other hand it doesn't do much harm. Much worse is that most people don't care about the wars now.

No...really no!

whistling.gif Having studied History at University level I can say with confidence that ALL countries, mine included ( I'm from the U.S.) tailor their history to suit the curent public perception of their nations History.

Examples are the American Revolution and it's causes, the British actions in the 19th century in India and the "Opium Wars" in China, the French actions in Algeria and in Indochina.

I could go on but that would be pointless.

Do you know the line from the book "Animal Farm", where the Pigs tell the rest of the animals that, "History is simply what we tell you it is"?

Bet you don't, that line is not widely qouted these days ,,, not popular with governments, you see.

The thais have a collective will not to think about their history in WW2 ,,,, and therefore they simply avoid the topic.

But before you Brits jump to conclusions about the Thais and WW2 let me give you some real facts.

In 1942, the U.K. simply couldn't afford any more bad war news.

So they generated a number of popular myths .... let's just call them half truths.

One was that it was the Thais "cowardness" in letting the Japanese come through Thailand into Malaya that caused the British loss of Malaya and Singapore.

Like most "facts" this is a gross oversimplification of the true events of that time.

In fact, in 1934 .... before WW2 started.... a then Secret estimate of the outcome of a conflict in Malaya and Singapore determined that Malaya and Singapore were basically undefendable against a sustained Japanese attack.

One of the people involved in this accesment was Winston Churchill.

He was fully aware of this classified accessment and when the war in Europe broke out it was one of the reasons he had to chose to let Malaya and Singapore go ... the British simply did not have the forces to defend Singapore and Malaya. This classified accessment was not declassified and released until well after the war ended, But the point is, that to hide the bad news about Malaya and Singapore Churchill simply lied to the British public about the real situation.

Part of that false information was that the Thais "cowardly" simply allowed the Japanese to cross Thailns into Malaya.

Actually there were a number of battles fought by the Thais against the Japanese landings,

For his own political reasons (he needed Japanese support) the Thai military dictator running the government ordered his forces (as Head of all Thai forces) ordered his men to cease all military resistance againt the Japanese.

But that's old history now anyhow, and if your really interested you can look it up on the net.

Bottom line .... ALL goverments do not give full and accurate information, they ALWAYS filter the facts to fit their desired endl. That applies today as well.

As to Hitler, many young Thais, having hever heard of the death camps or the Nazi attrocities simply see him as "cool".

Pat of that is they way that wearing "Hitler" T-shirts p-sses of the pompous farangs.

whistling.gif

I think if Hitler would have won the war, the books of history would be full about his heroic fight against the evil dictators and how he protected freedom.

As he lost the others wrote the book of history. A nice example how facts are bend are the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya etc etc.

No...really no!

A couple of days one guy got 9 years (can't recall the name).

Some years ago they jailed a british because he had some doubts on how many jewish were killed.

A few years ago they even wanted to bring a jewish rabbi at court for "Wiederbetaetigung" because he expressed some doubts.

While all these guys are very strange (to tell it polite), you really can't put someone in jail for being weired.

I don't know how many cases go to court every year in Austria? Hundreds I think.

No...really no!

A couple of days one guy got 9 years (can't recall the name).

Some years ago they jailed a british because he had some doubts on how many jewish were killed.

A few years ago they even wanted to bring a jewish rabbi at court for "Wiederbetaetigung" because he expressed some doubts.

While all these guys are very strange (to tell it polite), you really can't put someone in jail for being weired.

I don't know how many cases go to court every year in Austria? Hundreds I think.

Nope...you can be jailed for denial of the Holocaust or for being the member of a Neo- Nazi organisation.

Not for "discussing" Hitler or the 3rd Reich or any of that.

Otherwise there would be no WW2- teaching in history classes...and I can assure you: there is!

Nope...you can be jailed for denial of the Holocaust or for being the member of a Neo- Nazi organisation.

Otherwise there would be no WW2- teaching in history classes...and I can assure you: there is!

You are partially right. It is also forbidden to glorify anything of the 3rd Reich.

But as hysteric these laws are used it ends in everything is forbidden.

People went into jail under "denial of the Holocaust" because they said they didn't gas the jews, they let them starve to dead. I don't see any denial in this, the court does.

Or Hitler didn't want to murder them on the beginning, he decided that later (also highly unlickely)

They went into jail for telling the Holocaust caused less deads and not all KZ were the same bad.

The last of these guys told at court that he can proof what he told and the court rejected that he is allowed to show the proofs.

While I think these "proofs" are just nonsense and a waste of time, you can't seriously ban proofs in a court.

The result is that it can't be discussed...

Under glorify fall many things like "it was a good thing to build the Highway-West".

These laws were absolute right in 1945, but now the make the topic only more interesting for young people.

Everything that is forbidden is more interesting. Without them it would be as interesting as the first worldwar or Napoleon.

Same feeling here, LKK. Also being German, I have to listen to all this "great leader"- junk.

I guess, by now, I have an understanding where they are coming from (in a very, very strange way).

I also found out, that reasoning is not really working because the point "yeah...okay...but he started a Word War, that killed about 20 million people" falls on deaf ears. And the point "he also killed 5 million jews and several 100.000 communists, gays, disabled people" often is met with the expression of big surprise, as no one even know this.

It's worth remembering that Stalin and Mao, both of whom enjoyed popularity in the west, killed more of their own people ( and not in the war ) than Hitler ever did.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

You are partially right. It is also forbidden to glorify anything of the 3rd Reich.

But as hysteric these laws are used it ends in everything is forbidden.

People went into jail under "denial of the Holocaust" because they said they didn't gas the jews, they let them starve to dead. I don't see any denial in this, the court does.

Or Hitler didn't want to murder them on the beginning, he decided that later (also highly unlickely)

They went into jail for telling the Holocaust caused less deads and not all KZ were the same bad.

The last of these guys told at court that he can proof what he told and the court rejected that he is allowed to show the proofs.

While I think these "proofs" are just nonsense and a waste of time, you can't seriously ban proofs in a court.

The result is that it can't be discussed...

Under glorify fall many things like "it was a good thing to build the Highway-West".

These laws were absolute right in 1945, but now the make the topic only more interesting for young people.

Everything that is forbidden is more interesting. Without them it would be as interesting as the first worldwar or Napoleon.

I don't know the word of the law, but I guess denying that they were gassed...is somehow denying a big and very substantial part of it. The people -I don't know these cases, though- sure did something more than just say, that this or that camp was not as bad as another one (which is idiotic anyways). Usually and the cases I know, where much more about using these arguments as "straw -men" and for simply presenting "facts" that dispute the holocaust as such.

IMHO these laws are rightfully in place. As these horrible events move further and further away from our mind, some apologists are already on it...There are simply things, that should never be forgotten.

Thais don't have an anti-Semitic bone in their bodies.

Are you so sure about that?

Yes I understand many Thai people have a legitimate beef with Robert Amsterdam over his support of Thaksin. But why is his Jewishness relevant to that?

I recall LOTS of public anti-semitic political speech, very hateful stuff, here during the financial meltdown in the late 1990s, related to George Soros.

I have read multiple times that elite class of Thailand is deeply anti-semitic and lets not forget Thailand was led by a blatant fascist PM in WW2.

Antisemitism is a weird sickness. You can have it without Jews. Thailand has almost no Jews.

Well I can honestly say that I have not met one Thai--or seen in any media, a Thai--who was anti-Semitic. Even if there were, what would be the motivation? In the US, for example, there are far right wing nutjobs who believe that the Jews run the country. That the Jews have infiltrated every aspect of American life. That's not possible in Thailand, is it? Similar thought processes among neo-Nazi's in Europe. Middle East? No need to explain that one. So I'm asking honestly, what would drive anti-Semitism in Thailand?