Missing Swiss Student Tourist Alive And Well, In Thai Prison

Lite Beer

There is no point in guessing. You do not know, have absolutely no idea, of what actually happened!

Exactly right. Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. People have gone to jail for little or nothing. Why has no journalist gone to interview her and find out her side of the story? She could be in prison for not cooperating but it might not have had anything to do with any overstay. Authorities at Swampy in May 2010 charged an overstay of 5000 baht despite being presented with documentation that the passport had been in a locked embassy on Wireless Road that was declared off limits by Thai police causing all embassies to close for over a week.

Customs officers pay huge money for middle level positions, just so they can collect obscene sums to build new villas, and purchase new luxury cars. Do you think they have any interest in legitimate excuses, when it cuts into their income? What percent of what they are doing is real, honest work?

• Like 1

Quite a few posters seem eager to go to jail for defamation, judging from their posts suggesting, implying or stating outright that a police officer falsely accused this tourist of theft, but I believe they have to try harder to achieve that result. I suggest they go to the police station and say it to the officer’s face.

As for the tourist, judiciary rules say that she is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court, and I, for one, have the patience to wait for the court decision. Incidentally, this legal presumption of innocence applies even in a case of strong prima facie evidence or a confession and it does not imply that an accusation is false -- it is simply how the justice system works.

Justice System?? Thailand?? WORKS?!?!

Dude, ease off the coconut milk~!

We all want to know what justice system you are referring to. Have you faced a Thai judge? Have you actually seen Thai justice at work? Have you see the presentations by expert witnesses here? Have you dealt with honest thai cops? Oh, and yes, please come after all of us for defamation of character. What character?

Doesn't say she stole the camera either.

A misunterstanding between immigration, the interpreter and her.

That could mean anything, even that the interpreter wasn't all that good.

I'll wait until she is out of the country and safe to really tell her side of the story.

Doesn't say she stole the camera either.

A misunterstanding between immigration, the interpreter and her.

That could mean anything, even that the interpreter wasn't all that good.

I'll wait until she is out of the country and safe to really tell her side of the story.

What does the interpreter have anything to do with it? How could a stolen camera accusation be a "minsunderstadning" between herself, the immigration officer, and an interpreter. Sorry but that's a diplomatic bs response if I ever heard one.

Although initially concerned that officers might be spreading incorrect and unflattering information about her daughter, Mrs Janisch told the Phuket Gazette, “When I arrived in Ranong I realized that I was wrong, as the officers have been very good to me and my daughter."

If the mother thought her daughter was innocent, don't you think she would just flat out say it? Seems to me the mother knows her daughter is a pratt and is trying to be as polite and diplomatic as possible for damage control.

Edited by mcnad

I don't believe she stole the camera, but that is not important right now.

She's lucky she got out of jail. At this point it would be better to forget about the 130000B bail - consider it as lost. It's after all not that much money in Switzerland (where living expenses are much higher than in many other European countries).

I think the Thai justice system is not that bad and she probably has a chance that she won't be convicted for theft, because there's not enough evidence. However there's also a small chance she'll go to jail.

If she's smart she better tries to find a way to get out of the country. The Swiss embassy is not supposed to be assisting in illegal activities, but many embassies have helped people escaping in the past. If I would be her (she has no family in Thailand and no reason to ever come back), I would try to get out with the help of the Swiss embassy in Thailand or the Swiss embassy in a neighbor country (after illegally crossing the border).

Grow up.

its weird enough to see someone refusing to pay the 3 days overstay fees, top of that stealing a camera when one is gonna face potential deportation.

something is not right, could be with the girl but must be real naive and had a heck of a arrogance to pull this off

something is not right, i agree. swiss citizens can stay in thailand for 30 days without needing a visa. considering this, as a tourist i would probably not see the need for paying overstay fees, either. however, you can definitely not blame the girl for the police forgetting to inform the relevant embassy about her being in jail, and this omission is the real newsworthy thing in this story and should deserve rather more attention and comments than comments about students, swiss girls and their characters.

Perhaps she made the same mistake that you are making. Swiss citizens are eligible for visa exemption of 30 days if they fly in, only 15 days if they travel overland.

A misunderstanding ?.

Sounds like she did it, that's the last place anyone should steal from. This is going to be a hard lesson learned.

A misunderstanding is the catch phrase for a thai officer who is busted. This looks like a set up that the press was never supposed to find out about. Nobody steals a camera from the cops. Knowing the Thai police it was an older camera. Who would do that? No, sounds like the ranong police were busted, and this was the extent of their creativity.

• Like 1

Even if the lady did steal a camera, did the Police follow regulations regarding incarcerating her?

I hope the girl can hire a law firm and spank that police chief in court.

At Thailand's world class airport, suspected shoplifters (reportedly set up by police and shopkeepers) tourists are jailed in a sleazy hotel, introduced to fake lawyers and have their bank accounts drained by police, then let go.

Nice.

Suspicious - Not many Immigration officers keep cameras on their desk, but many many tourists routinely carry cameras.

Logically, it was her camera.

Such is so common, as in motorbike - automobile accident, the auto driver is most often prosecuted, because he has more money than the motorbike driver. Most such accidents are due to careless motorbike operation.

The Immigration offices,often make photos who are necessary for extensions of Visa ect in the same bulding-next room or next to the Immigration office

and sale it to you. In Patong that was made from Immigration officers in the same room.

I am a Swiss dual citizen and this person is frankly an absolute disgrace to the otherwise good name of my country.

How could she be so in contempt of the rules in the first place? In Switzerland almost no-one dares to upset anyone by flouting accepted social rules like not mowing lawns on Sundays or if you live in an apartment building, not flushing your toilet after 10pm, let alone breaking clearly defined immigration laws. In many countries, a 3 day overstay would be cause for immediate arrest and deportation along with a long period of exclusion - a mere 500 Baht per day (1,500 Baht overall in her case) fine is nothing in this context, much less for someone from a rich and expensive country like Switzerland - 1,500 Baht being merely worth like 45 Francs, which buys you what, maybe a meal if you're lucky in Switzerland? And then to steal an officer's camera...shameful, just shameful. She needs to get what she deserves - which is a big fine and permanent exclusion from Thailand. Perhaps next time she tries something like this, perhaps in neighboring Malaysia she won't be so lucky (not to mention Singapore, where she is studying as an exchange student).

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

" While the officer was typing the arrest record, she asked to go to the toilet ” Have any of you TV members been on a overstay? they don't type out a arrest record, well actullary at that time she was not under arrest anyway, it's a peprinted form and they hand write your name and number of days, done in under 1 minute, they then stamp your passport overstay 3 days and off you go. If I was to presume what happened, they said if you don't pay we will take your camera as payment, then the shit really hit the fan. Her mother also stated she phoned home every week , seems like a responsible person, maybe the im officer was having a bad hair day or just another money grabbing official. But who knows? I am sure her story will come out later and if she was set up, lets see what happens. Nothing suprises me in this place.

Ok, all theory, but what, if she did not have that 1500 Baht? Could not pay it on the spot?

She would have got arrested. No?

From a Facebook page which was opened from a GF? of Tscherina. In German

https://www.facebook.com/AchtungVermisstWichtig

=============================================================

"THIS IS THE LAST ENTRY:

TO ALL TSCHERINA NORA Janisch IS FOUND!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SOLIDARITY AND STRENGTH"

============================================================

"TO ALL TSCHERINA HAS REPORTED home!

I AM A FRIEND OF HER AND AM GRATEFUL FOR THE GOOD HOPE YOU ALL WAITING! she is ALIVE AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS."

At least on that page, there is no Thai Bashing of any "fishy" circumstances.

That does not mean, that there was no wrongdoing by the Tha authorities, but makes it for me more likely, that there had been none,

in that massive way, which are accused here of many members.

I wrote back-sent PM to and asked for more information, wrote also from the Thavisa Thread with a LINK, but good possibility, nobody does look that site anymore, lets see.

From Tscherinas FACEBOOK page. Translated with Google translate

https://www.facebook.com/tscherina.janisch

"Many questions are asked, it makes you worry and I do not want to burden my friends more. I'm sorry, and now I can finally report itself: It's me well under the circumstances.

There is much speculation, asked and explanations sought. I am sorry that I still can not say must, and should.

Please bring any (would-be) ... information to the press, the Internet, etc., because everything can prolong the process until my return massively if someone's getting in the wrong way.

I thank you all from my heart for the love support and assistance, the skillful energy and power, and the imaginary thoughts of all of us very difficult and stressful time! Please do not stop to send me perseverance and good energy, because I can still do this very well. THANK YOU!

I look forward to see you talk as soon as possible, to be able to hug and kiss. ♥ sealed Tscherina ".

Sounds like the mom knows how to play the game :) hopefully the daughter will learn also.

PS who would steal a camera now days? Esp a western woman. Its all PDA's now.

Mom's got the right attitude. Do what you have to do, Say what you have to say, get your daughter out.

From a Facebook page which was opened from a GF? of Tscherina. In German

https://www.facebook...VermisstWichtig

=============================================================

"THIS IS THE LAST ENTRY:

TO ALL TSCHERINA NORA Janisch IS FOUND!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SOLIDARITY AND STRENGTH"

"TO ALL TSCHERINA HAS REPORTED home!

I AM A FRIEND OF HER AND AM GRATEFUL FOR THE GOOD HOPE YOU ALL WAITING! she is ALIVE AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS."

At least on that page, there is no Thai Bashing of any "fishy" circumstances.

That does not mean, that there was no wrongdoing by the Tha authorities, but makes it for me more likely, that there had been none,

in that massive way, which are accused here of many members.

I wrote back-sent PM to and asked for more information, wrote also from the Thavisa Thread with a LINK, but good possibility, nobody does look that site anymore, lets see.

If this entry is correct, and she is already back home, then she has done the smart move. Nobody wants to face Thai " justice", especially if it was a set up. If she has left the country , then it makes the mother's diplomatic comments about the police even funnier.....cheesy.gif Come over here, fork over the classic 130,000 baht " bail", say how great the police are , grab your daughter, and get the hell out never to return. The police can allude to CCTV footage, but never mind as it will never have to be shown if the girl has fled " justice". Face saved all around. A tidy sum in someone's pocket, and life marches on in Thailand.

I am always ready to learn new things, but I will be completely astonished if this supposed CCTV footage is ever shown. Showing this type of footage clearly would not affect any upcoming " trial", as they just released the CCTV footage from the TV star blasting his " friend".

Edited by EyesWideOpen

According to the police there's CCTV footage of her stealing the camera and police say they intend to prosecute. Also mentions she was studying at Zurich University, not Singapore.

http://www.khaosod.c...9PQ==&subcatid=

Pity the link is in Thai. I would like to see what it says.

Try, with Copy and Paste.

http://www.thai2english.com/online/

As far as I read, there is only the news, that the CCTV should have captured the offence and that the woman is accused of tried to hide the camera in one of her trousers pockets.

I wrote also a PN to Miss Tscherina,but as the case is pending and she stated she does not want to stir up more trouble, possibly with no answer.

By the way as an Austrian I can read her Facebook in German.

13589974371358997490l.jpg

Edited by ALFREDO

Since the purpose of bail is to insure that the defendant will appear in court for trial, the 130,000 baht bail may not be that unreasonable. Being a foriegn national, there is good reason to presume that she may jump bail and leave the country. Additionally the bail would need to be enough to create incentive for her to appear in court, and therefore would need to consider the defendant's financial situation. What might be a lot to a Thai, might not be so significant to a Swiss national.

According to the police there's CCTV footage of her stealing the camera and police say they intend to prosecute. Also mentions she was studying at Zurich University, not Singapore.

http://www.khaosod.c...9PQ==&subcatid=

Pity the link is in Thai. I would like to see what it says.

"Of the women in Switzerland, according to the announcement. MP Cheryl New Port Nova Falls to 22-year-old daughter, who went missing on the website. After returning to the country and lost contact since the end of Dec 55, so you may be afraid that even I find that Ms. Ennis was detained in prison in Ranong. On charges of theft in public places at night, or receiving stolen goods. The alien is in the United Kingdom by the end. The immigration officer Ranong. Capture screen. Nissan S. Korn. Cause I stole a camera brand Canon Power off 640 staff. Concealed by the front left side of the shorts. Of staff. Thus was born on 25 Sep ago.

The New Miss I tried to contact the embassy. To get help. I understand the language of the meeting Ms. Dennis was incarcerated and did not get much help. As was reported in the online media. Ranong police officer. It is coordinated to the Embassy of Switzerland and the Embassy has provided assist. By a facilitator. And relatives to appoint a lawyer to bail it out. After being held in a prison in Ranong.

Mother of John. S. I came to New York on Mon, 22 Jan 56 to appoint a lawyer to apply for bail. MPs meeting new facility with 300,000 but Jamming is broken. certification letter from the University of Zurich. In Switzerland To confirm that. Ms. Jardine was educated Sunnis. To be used as evidence bail.

Reporters questioned the authority of the police. Preliminaries day scholar with Ph.D. Deputy Director Chai land P.hw. Ranong said the prosecution of Mr. JA New evidence from the CCTV footage. While the burglary. Must be prosecuted by law. The competent authorities have written to Tom. The embassy after meeting Ms. Dennis was arrested litigation. Supporting the implementation of all the steps of the law.

Progress on 23 Sep at Mrs. Alice Beth Sheridan to Nora's mother. MPs for Ontario. The aunt of the screen. Nissan Cheryl S. de Sonora traveled from country to Switzerland to Ranong with attorneys filed a request for bail. S. Korn Sunnis. Then in court with 300,000 limit by Ranong Provincial Court. I have orders not Miss Sonora Nissan Cheryl to leave the country and will be reporting to the County Court Judgement every 30 days until the case is settled.

The Dame Alice Beth Sheridan to Nora mother said I was worried about her daughter very much that it happens, the reservoirs and the idea that the media may be the news of their daughter in a bad way to do it. to provide media to deliver the news. But after staying in Ranong in two days to apply for bail daughter the Court of London was the police in Ranong to help keep track of your contacts with other agencies involved with the Embassy of Switzerland. California and the second day of the authorities and the media have a feeling that they did not intend to disgrace their families. I think that there's some misunderstanding in communication with the staff to make such events more. Because of the new arena, which accused Ms. I do not have witnesses. Since traveling to Thailand for the first time and alone. The reason is that the interpreter is on the scene of a Burmese interpreter. Make communication difficult. I would like to appeal to the Court of Justice for a new meeting with Ms..

The official police action against Ms. Yan meeting Denis. CCTV footage as evidence of theft to be prosecuted by law"

Google translate, while needing work, is a wonderful thing. :)

What might be a lot to a Thai, might not be so significant to a Swiss national.

I see Thais every day driving ferraris, Porches, benz, BMW, I pass two ferrari dealerships on my way to work every day.

For me, 20 million baht is a lot of money to spend on a car. Is that a lot for a thai? Enough of them seem to have them. Perhaps you could explain.

Perhaps you could also explain the amount of bail required for wealthy thais, such as the red bull story etc.

Care to elaborate?

By the way her name sounds she has Eastern European-Russian roots,

cannot know if that had to do with her attitude of stealing and not wanting to contacting anybody, as it seems and her attitude! whistling.gif

Trying your hand at racism, are you? Not that it matters as far as I can see but like many family names of Swiss citizens the name Janisch has its origin in Germany.

Source: http://www.houseofna...ch-family-crest

My dear friend -

I mean the given name, TSCHERINA, Erina, Irina, has Russian roots.

http://www.vorname.c...=suche&x=33&y=8

Erina female.pngweiblich Russisch russische Form von Irene

Translated

Erina Female Russian Russian form of Irene

Here you have a more known, -Tscherina- with Russian family roots and such a possible, mixed wedding, I ment! rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia....milla_Tchérina

Edited by ALFREDO