Pattaya, Why Are You Still Here ?

yoslim

The place seems to be ripe with crime, everything is getting expensive, the place is invaded with Russians, BF are going out of hand and the hot girls seem to be interested only in billionaires, traffic is out of control and finally the new visa rules on march 15 will be really bad for farang bah.gif I wish I could move but my budget doesn't permit.

Why do you still stay here ? blink.png

Edited by yoslim

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the OP's post completely, but the plus's are good climate, lower prices than UK, Buddhist culture, wonderful food, easier/slower pace of life, no dress code, great night-life, to name but a few.

Interesting.

Climate? It's too hot and humid here to be really nice.

Lower prices? Some are. Many aren't.

Buddhist culture? Yes, but I cant say it makes much difference to me on a personal level. I dont believe in any religion.

Wonderful food? Nice enough but I certainly I wouldn't say wonderful.

Easier pace of life? If you're retired you're retired. I dont do any more here than I did anywhere else. Trafic and congestion here is MUCH worse than where I was in Europe.

No dress code? I wear exactly the same clothes here (weather permitting) as I did in Europe. Except that in Europe in winter I put an anorak and trousers on. But to keep warm not for any dress code reasons.

Great night life? I would describe it as unbelievably boring. I hate bars and discos and clubs and everything else in that vein, Luckily they are easy to avoid.

There are more "con" points:

full of Russians and tourist families

becoming steadily more and more dangerous

becoming steadily more and more expensive

And there are some plus points you may have forgotten:

No tax (for those who know how to organise themselves).

Fairly cheap and varied food, even if it isn't wonderful.

Utilities that work most of the time.

Easily obtained retirement visa.

Good and fair post!clap2.gif PF.

• Like 2

Anybody can offer any alternative countries/cities to retire? Certainly there must be some that can match up with Thailand/Pattaya?! Interested in feedback from people who know the world....PF.

It would be interesting to see the poster who complain about cost of living and everything getting expensive in Thailand if they did try to go set up base in Australia..with the cost of life there they will be broke after 6 monthswhistling.gif

Have any better ideas of where we could move? I've considered Philippines, Camodia, and Indonesia but those places all have issues. Thailand still rules for now anyways. However, I agree that at the rate things are going it is not looking up. We might have as few as 5 years left before there is nothing left to stay for. sad.png

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see the poster who complain about cost of living and everything getting expensive in Thailand if they did try to go set up base in Australia..with the cost of life there they will be broke after 6 months.

You could say the same about Japan or Switzerland or any number of other expensive countries, but that isn't really a suitable comparison with a developing country.

As for not being able to afford them, that rather depends on how much money you have. I could afford to live in Australia but I dont fancy it at all. I do quite fancy New Zealand and I looked into the possibility of living there but the visa requirements are silly and you have to be 65 to apply anyway which counts me out for many more years. Rather short-sighted of them, I think.

Have any better ideas of where we could move? I've considered Philippines, Camodia, and Indonesia but those places all have issues. Thailand still rules for now anyways. However, I agree that at the rate things are going it is not looking up. We might have as few as 5 years left before there is nothing left to stay for. sad.png

Vietnam - I'm going next week for a couple of weeks. Plus longer-term, I reckon Indonesia might be a better option, but in the mean-time I love living in Pattaya - beaches, sea, night-life, women, variety of food, cheap accom., prox. to intl airport, visa rules, etc etc.

• Like 1

Work...Big secret out there that there are many nationalities (Japanese, Korean, American, Brazilian,German, British,Indian, New Zealand, Taiwan...) living in/near Pattaya because of working for international companies in the Eastern Seaboard area (Bowan/Rayong/)and near the port of Laem Chabang. If they are families, they most likely live in the "villages" on the dark side. Some live in the better condos that do not cater to the short term tourist. Pattaya has more than sleeze for the "sex tourist" but there are decent places to go to for the average family who must come to Thailand and work for their company. Good hospital, international schools to choose from, golf courses, good shopping, restaurants, and being close to Bangkok is a plus.

• Like 2

Anybody can offer any alternative countries/cities to retire? Certainly there must be some that can match up with Thailand/Pattaya?! Interested in feedback from people who know the world....PF.

I'm pretty sure you've seen this, but an interesting thread in case you haven't:

It would be interesting to see the poster who complain about cost of living and everything getting expensive in Thailand if they did try to go set up base in Australia..with the cost of life there they will be broke after 6 monthswhistling.gif

This year my 9 months in Thailand cost $20,000, 3 months in Australia cost $25,000................. You work it out.

There were costs in the Australia time that weren'tactual living costs, but it is a huge difference.

I have a house, motorbike & car here, it is still soooo cheap to live, we all forget that when prices go up 10%, big deal.

My electric bill has jumped 15% in 2 years per unit in a stand alone house, not a condo, it is still less than half the Australia costs for the same thing.

Cheers all,

• Like 1

The place seems to be ripe with crime, everything is getting expensive, the place is invaded with Russians, BF are going out of hand and the hot girls seem to be interested only in billionaires, traffic is out of control and finally the new visa rules on march 15 will be really bad for farang bah.gif I wish I could move but my budget doesn't permit.

Why do you still stay here ? blink.png

Your budget does not allow you to move somewhere else in THAILAND?

sent from my Q6

This year my 9 months in Thailand cost $20,000, 3 months in Australia cost $25,000................. You work it out.

There were costs in the Australia time that weren'tactual living costs, but it is a huge difference.

I have a house, motorbike & car here, it is still soooo cheap to live, we all forget that when prices go up 10%, big deal.

My electric bill has jumped 15% in 2 years per unit in a stand alone house, not a condo, it is still less than half the Australia costs for the same thing.

Cheers all,

you got that right. To put it another way, In Australia the total of my power, water and phone bill for 1 month is more than 1 months rent in appartment in BK blink.png

I agree with the OP's post completely, but the plus's are good climate, lower prices than UK, Buddhist culture, wonderful food, easier/slower pace of life, no dress code, great night-life, to name but a few.

Interesting.

Buddhist culture? Yes, but I cant say it makes much difference to me on a personal level. I dont believe in any religion.

Easier pace of life? If you're retired you're retired. I dont do any more here than I did anywhere else. Trafic and congestion here is MUCH worse than where I was in Europe.

No dress code? I wear exactly the same clothes here (weather permitting) as I did in Europe. Except that in Europe in winter I put an anorak and trousers on. But to keep warm not for any dress code reasons.

Great night life? I would describe it as unbelievably boring. I hate bars and discos and clubs and everything else in that vein, Luckily they are easy to avoid.

Your answer then, really does beg the question "Why are you still there?"

Edited by canman

Interesting.

Good and fair post!clap2.gif PF.

Hear ! Hear !

WE are here 3 months a year so can't make comments BUT this fair post says it all

wai.gif

I have only lived here for 18 months. I am from the Northern Hemisphere which is suffering at the moment from snow. My main reason for staying here is the sun.

I looked at other places before moving here. It's cheaper than HK and Singapore - both of which I can fly to at a moments notice very cheaply.

Most people I speak to know enough English to sell me what I want. Ok there are some things which are much more expensive than the UK - bed linen for example. Generally though, prices are comparable. Eating out is much cheaper than home and utilities are cheap.

My Thai language skills are progressing and I understand more and more as time goes on.

My life here is pretty normal, I have a company, visa and work permit - this all helps ensure I remain busy every day.

I am not married, I do not sponsor anyone with money every month. I am careful with cash and if I have a price given to me and an alarm bell goes off, I walk away and buy whatever it is cheaper up the road.

I don't get involved in any nonsense and if a situation lacks common sense or is "Thai'd up", I walk away.

Things like garbage and cables or drains and street dogs don't really get me down. I hear farang often saying, "You have to laugh or cry". Since coming here, I laugh every day. The best move I ever made!!

I have Thai and Farang friends and I tend to try to offer information to my (mostly British) pals when they come out here and forget to collect their brains at the arrivals gate. They fall in love, they buy stuff they don't need, they get ripped off, they give policemen money when their stopped etc. etc. For me Pattaya is all good!!

Your answer then, really does beg the question "Why are you still there?"

That's easy: it's the best of a bad lot.

These four items that I mentioned are the clinchers for me:

"No tax (for those who know how to organise themselves).

Easily obtained retirement visa."