Dutch Firm Apologises Over Buddha Toilets

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any religion is fair game why not why would religious people have more rights then those who are not.

I doubt if religion ever entered into it.

Someone probably thought "these are nice pictures" and went ahead.

The end result whether anyone agrees with it or not, is that they look very nice.

• Like 1

Any religion is fair game why not why would religious people have more rights then those who are not.

The end result whether anyone agrees with it or not, is that they look very nice.

I am sure in this case religion never entered into it. I agree, this is just a stupid mistake. Not that i would have taken them off, i mean they are just that pictures and they did not want to offend anyone.

The funny thing is, Buddha would not have cared 1 single bit.

This is not the point. The point is respecting Buddha images.

If the Buddha himself saw nothing wrong in them why would any other Buddhist?

Would that not be putting themselves on a ladder above Buddha?

You can not say for sure whether the Buddha would see nothing wrong with this. Your observation is merely an assumption, an unproven one, regarding what the Buddha might have thought about this.

• Like 1

What is equally pathetic is the number of posts on this thread reflecting the disrespect that the posters have of the Thai people and their beliefs.

Well Whistleblower summed it all up nicely: The only respect Thais have for foreigners is for their money....

And as for the Thailand never being a colony I would like to add that Thailand has been colonised by the Chinese who are now running the whole country...

I think Whistleblower was multi-level in his amusing post. I disagree that Thais respect foreigners for their money. Instead they envy foreigners their money and want part (or all) of it with as little effort as possible. Sound familiar?

A quote from my ex-GF (an example of camera envy):

I don't see why a person should have three cameras

(referring to my little 3-camera collection, one of which was obsolete)

I would not make her a gift of one of them and only loan it to her to her ultimate frustration. I have other great quotes, but I'd better not. This may be off-topic or maybe not. But I don't believe a farang can buy respect. In fact a farang may be actually buying disrespect.

Edited by MaxYakov

This one is one of a secular sick brain who has no feeling about religion ....

Buddhism cannot strictly be called a religion because it is not a system of faith and worship nor the outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a God or gods having power over their own destiny to whom obedience, service, and honor are due.

While you may be correct academically, the real life reality is that Buddhism is practiced as a religion.
  • Like 2

What is equally pathetic is the number of posts on this thread reflecting the disrespect that the posters have of the Thai people and their beliefs.

Well Whistleblower summed it all up nicely: The only respect Thais have for foreigners is for their money....

And as for the Thailand never being a colony I would like to add that Thailand has been colonised by the Chinese who are now running the whole country...

I think Whistleblower was multi-level in his amusing post. I disagree that Thais respect foreigners for their money. Instead they envy foreigners their money and want part (or all) of it with as little effort as possible. Sound familiar?

It definitely sounds familiar as a typical TV poster anti-Thai bias. You need to get some new Thai acquaintances.

I am sure in this case religion never entered into it. I agree, this is just a stupid mistake. Not that i would have taken them off, i mean they are just that pictures and they did not want to offend anyone.

The Dutch have done a lot for freedom of expression. thumbsup.gif However, we know how sensitive some people can be over religious icons, so perhaps it might have been wiser not to have done it. Personally, I like them and they probably have no resemblance to Buddha anyway.

And yet you can bet the company would never had put a picture of Jesus Christ ... and definitely not Mohammad.

You're probably right.....sad times we live in.

• Like 1

Two points:

1. Saying that Buddha would have approved or been unconcerned is sheer arrogance. How does anyone know?

2. While I suspect that this case had no ulterior motive, It's good that the company concerned was made to apologise. Images do insult people as some of the posters disparaging remarks about the Nazi symbols has shown. As an atheist I respect others' beliefs & try not to insult them. Far too many on this thread don't give a s**** about others' views and deliberately inflaming them is a mixture of arrogance & ignorance.

Edited by Scott
profanity

I have often wondered about the practice of Buddhism in Thailand. It is a series of teachings, few of which Thais actually follow . So am always amazed when I see endless Thais lined up at temples giving money to people in orange robes, in the hopes of being showered with good luck, or to wash away the misdeeds from the previous week. People wake up !!!! There is no big guy in the sky carefully watching your actions, taking note of how much money you are donating at the Wat, and then carefully adjusting your luck......

While in my mind the Dutch firm really did nothing wrong, they are certainly guilty of poor judgment.

Edited by Scott
formatting

Anuchit Pomthong and Nok Ja held a press conference today to say how happy they were that their online campaign that was launched and updated during working hours (they work for a western company that pays them far in excess of what a Thai company would). Whilst sporting fake levi jeans, a Swastika t shirt, rip off reeboks, a copy rolex watch and smelling of imitation Guess aftershave, Nok Ja said he was happy that this newsworthy campaign has succeded.

We caught up with the intrepid pair on a beachfront in Phuket. As we watched with a backdrop of Immigration officers loading up Rhohingya refugees onto a bus to be sent back to Burma to face certain death or be sold into human trafficking, Anuchit added "I am so happy that Thais have come together on this very sensitive issue to force the Dutch company to change their design" He added "we Thais are a sensitive bunch when something annoys us. And we are also aware of the sensitivity of other nations" Nok Ja chipped in "Thats why when the Japanese visited our country during world war 2 not only did we welcome them with open arms, we actually helped them torture POWs and swept it under the table when they broke the Geneva Convention" Anuchit (getting excited now by the attention) adds "And dont forget we let the Americans have airbases here during the Vietnam war. We sold our daughters/wives/sisters to them for their sexual amusement. So I challenge anyone to say Thais aren't respectful of other people" He added "okay I admit that we were hoping to get something in return for our efforts, like, say the return of Angkor Wat that really belongs to us"

At this point we have to break from the interview for 1/2 hour as a group of taxi drivers complained we were getting in the way of them beating an innocent tourist to a bloody pulp.

When the interview restarted we asked the pair what was next on their "if its Thai its ours, if its not we will copy it" campaign. Nok Ja replies "Well right now we are starting a petition to overturn the world court and the World heritages decision to give OUR Preah Vihear to the Khmers" he continues, "after all they only got it in the first place because we were to chicken shit to fight them one year so we ceded some Thai land to them. Anuchit interupts, "Do you know Thailand has never been colonised by a foreign country!. We Thais are so proud of that. Apart from letting the Burmese come and go as they wished for hundreds of years and eventually moving our capital to a swamp to facilitate their looting and rampaging oh and of course our brief occupation by the japs we have never been colonised! We have a simple method for that sort of thing. Whenever we are threatened by another country we just give them a huge chunk of our country"

When asked how they would be celebrating this monumentous victory Anuchit replied "well I will be out on the town sinking a few beer Laos tonight! (technically beer Laos is a Thai beer, because years ago the land on which the factory sits was Thai but they gave it away to avoid being invaded) asked if his wife would be joining the celebrations Anuchit replied "NO this victory is so big I will have to take out my Mia Noi"

Nok Ja replied that his celebrations would be a bit quieter: "I will celebrate at home" he replied "I dont have the money to spend on beer as i am saving up for a sex change. Then I will go and work in Pattaya and really rake in the money" he continued "Anuchit always has money because his dads side of the family are all policemen who have a large Tea fund and all of his mums side of the family are hookers who cornered the market in drugging their punters and stealing from them" So No, i will just stay at home and tweet my friends on my Knock off Ipad about this earthshattering result, I may however watch a 100bht pirated movie later"

The Interview ends here as Anuchit has to go home sink a bottle of Lao Kaow and beat his wife for not getting any farang punters to shag her her before he goes out to the snooker hall with his mia noi and Nok Ja has 15 excited schoolgirls waiting for him to teach them cheerleeding!

Being a non biased newspaper, we did contact the Dutch advertising ageny involved. Unfortunately they had no comment AS THEY WERE TOO BUSY GETTING ON WITH THEIR F@#&ING LIVES!!!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Funny stuff. Sounds like something out of the old Walking Street Journal that was shut down.....

Anuchit Pomthong and Nok Ja held a press conference today to say how happy they were that their online campaign that was launched and updated during working hours (they work for a western company that pays them far in excess of what a Thai company would). Whilst sporting fake levi jeans, a Swastika t shirt, rip off reeboks, a copy rolex watch and smelling of imitation Guess aftershave, Nok Ja said he was happy that this newsworthy campaign has succeded.

We caught up with the intrepid pair on a beachfront in Phuket. As we watched with a backdrop of Immigration officers loading up Rhohingya refugees onto a bus to be sent back to Burma to face certain death or be sold into human trafficking, Anuchit added "I am so happy that Thais have come together on this very sensitive issue to force the Dutch company to change their design" He added "we Thais are a sensitive bunch when something annoys us. And we are also aware of the sensitivity of other nations" Nok Ja chipped in "Thats why when the Japanese visited our country during world war 2 not only did we welcome them with open arms, we actually helped them torture POWs and swept it under the table when they broke the Geneva Convention" Anuchit (getting excited now by the attention) adds "And dont forget we let the Americans have airbases here during the Vietnam war. We sold our daughters/wives/sisters to them for their sexual amusement. So I challenge anyone to say Thais aren't respectful of other people" He added "okay I admit that we were hoping to get something in return for our efforts, like, say the return of Angkor Wat that really belongs to us"

At this point we have to break from the interview for 1/2 hour as a group of taxi drivers complained we were getting in the way of them beating an innocent tourist to a bloody pulp.

When the interview restarted we asked the pair what was next on their "if its Thai its ours, if its not we will copy it" campaign. Nok Ja replies "Well right now we are starting a petition to overturn the world court and the World heritages decision to give OUR Preah Vihear to the Khmers" he continues, "after all they only got it in the first place because we were to chicken shit to fight them one year so we ceded some Thai land to them. Anuchit interupts, "Do you know Thailand has never been colonised by a foreign country!. We Thais are so proud of that. Apart from letting the Burmese come and go as they wished for hundreds of years and eventually moving our capital to a swamp to facilitate their looting and rampaging oh and of course our brief occupation by the japs we have never been colonised! We have a simple method for that sort of thing. Whenever we are threatened by another country we just give them a huge chunk of our country"

When asked how they would be celebrating this monumentous victory Anuchit replied "well I will be out on the town sinking a few beer Laos tonight! (technically beer Laos is a Thai beer, because years ago the land on which the factory sits was Thai but they gave it away to avoid being invaded) asked if his wife would be joining the celebrations Anuchit replied "NO this victory is so big I will have to take out my Mia Noi"

Nok Ja replied that his celebrations would be a bit quieter: "I will celebrate at home" he replied "I dont have the money to spend on beer as i am saving up for a sex change. Then I will go and work in Pattaya and really rake in the money" he continued "Anuchit always has money because his dads side of the family are all policemen who have a large Tea fund and all of his mums side of the family are hookers who cornered the market in drugging their punters and stealing from them" So No, i will just stay at home and tweet my friends on my Knock off Ipad about this earthshattering result, I may however watch a 100bht pirated movie later"

The Interview ends here as Anuchit has to go home sink a bottle of Lao Kaow and beat his wife for not getting any farang punters to shag her her before he goes out to the snooker hall with his mia noi and Nok Ja has 15 excited schoolgirls waiting for him to teach them cheerleeding!

Being a non biased newspaper, we did contact the Dutch advertising ageny involved. Unfortunately they had no comment AS THEY WERE TOO BUSY GETTING ON WITH THEIR F@#&ING LIVES!!!

You have a very unusual sense of humor - all those points IMHO, were off topic.

It definitely sounds familiar as a typical TV poster anti-Thai bias. You need to get some new Thai acquaintances.

Firstly, it is common forum courtesy to indicate that a quoted portion of a post has been edited or deleted for whatever reason.

Secondly, it was simply recounting my observations and not intended to be anti-Thai. The envy/taker mentality is not specific to Thailand and seems to be increasing world-wide. For all I know, the envy/taker mentality may be an accepted moral value for a segment of Thai society.

Thirdly, you advised me to get new friends. I have been advised by others to get different friends, or it will probably be the old 'same same.' Anyway, I appreciate the advice.

Fourthly, my sense of humor, toilet and otherwise, seems to have lately gone MIA in Bangkok! sad.png

Edited by MaxYakov

I think it is great.

The point is (and that is not off- topic) Thais acting holier- than- thou if their personal belief is "offended"...and whenever it suits them...and turn a blind eye to anything that is wrong with their "faith" and the display of it.

...as exactly in the OP...

• Like 2

The company should consider using images of Mohammad if they want lots of intense PR instead.

Considering that it would be totally enough, to name the Buddha image Mohammad, to annoy 2 religions in one time:

Give 'em a little time. Maybe they printing the name stickers!

Perhaps these two Thais might like to tackle corruption next - I am sure they would get plenty of supporters - ah but that is not so important - the destruction of society through corruption is plainly much less important than a image painted on the outside of a cubicle in another country!!

• Like 1

And yet you can bet the company would never had put a picture of Jesus Christ ... and definitely not Mohammad.

Actually Jezus is mocked a lot in the Netherlands, but they are often too afraid to mock Mohammed. So its a sign of times.

I am for freedom of expression and if you don't like what im saying you can come with counter arguments and show what a fool i am for saying something. This way there is a discussion. If i say all Dutch are potheads and idiots and someone comes with statistics showing we have less drug users then other countries then i look foolish.

So in stead of being offended or starting violence if you don't agree with something come with arguments. That is the beauty for freedom of expression.

• Like 1

After the Embassy brought the Thai reactions to the rental company's attention, the Embassy said the company said it was not aware of the negative impact of Buddha toilets and they would immediately withdraw the designs from the market.

Hope they'll remove these guys without brains as well. What would Christians think of Jesus on toilets? A sort of disgusting and I'm atheist.--wai2.gif

Is the problem because the picture of Buddha was on a toilet or is it because they used it at all ?.I don't see what the difference is between this and tourists buying little Buddha statues or pictures in downtown Bangkok and bringing them home to decorate whatever room they wish with them.My mother has two praying Buddhas on her mantelpiece.Is that wrong ?

Yes, but it's VERY funny...

A measured and sensible response from the followers of Lord Buddah i wonder how many people would have already died if the artwork on the side of the toilets had been Mohammed!

What makes you think the Alquaes won't use it for an excuse somewhere anyway.

.I don't see what the difference is between this and tourists buying little Buddha statues

No difference:

http://www2.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Traveller/TravelEng.jsp?menuNme=Travel

3. Restricted items

They are goods the import and export of which is restricted by law and therefore require a permit from the related government agencies.

Buddha images, religious or ancient arts, ....

I wonder in which sick brain of third zone marketing genius this idea was born

Hopefully he's not now working on the 4,900 toilets for Bangkok bus stops.

Mai pen rai, The Dutch can't help it. They just haven't evolved yet and they are too busy sinking into the sea.

• Like 1

Religion whichever chosen is the belief in fairytales, if you believe in something, God (choose which one or ones) Santa Clause, Father Christmas, Jesus Christ, Buddha, The Tooth Fairy, etc that's fine, and if someone does not believe what you believe in that's fine. If someone says that I am stupid to believe in God that is an opinion they are entitled to voice, write, express. If someone tells me that I wll rot in hell because I do not believe in God, Jesus etc thats ok too.

When people say that they are offended because of such expressions they are fools.

Most religions and regligious philosophies basically say the same things, be good live a nice life don't steal, kill, etc then the various philosophies start getting barmy and talking about nonsense heaven, hell, paradise, virgins, virgin births, jihad, crusades and other contrary aspects.

It is all fairy tales, rubbish, if you belive it fine if you don't fine, but stop saying this and that is offensive.

As someone who does not believe in any of this nonsense I do not turn around and say a Christian wearing a cross is offensive to me, as he believes some fairy tale fine wear a cross.

POLITICS AND RELIGION ARE USED TO CONTROL AND MANIPULATE PEOPLE

The post above talks of THE Dutch others referr to a race too THE thais THE Chinese THE Germans etc.

Nationalistic ideals the myth of patriotism these are stamped into you to make you fight and kill your fellow man globally for oil and money you all need to think for yourselves,

Edited by ARBEZ
  • Like 2