Killing Mimosa Trees

I've used super phosphate with some success! Sprinkle a goodly quantity around the drip line of the tree or closer in if the tree is small. You can buy the super for about B1000 a bag (50kg)...chokdee!! smile.png

I've used super phosphate with some success! Sprinkle a goodly quantity around the drip line of the tree or closer in if the tree is small. You can buy the super for about B1000 a bag (50kg)...chokdee!! smile.png

Really? a fertilizer to kill? Wow......

I admit, I don't know jack about farming or gardening. Seems counter to what I would think, but what do I know.....nothing.

I guess its worth a shot.

Thanks,

M

I didn't know that the Mimosa tree was an invasive weed in Thailand. I would just cut the trees down and put a selective herbicide on the stumps.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/29

I do know a lot about controlling Mimosa pubscens (sensitive weed) which is invasive into crop land and lawns.

Thanks for the reply.

Are the herbicides described in the link available in Thailand? If so, what are they called?

Thanks again,

M

It is a deciduous tree and a member of the legume family. I can't see why Roundup wouldn't kill it. Roundup won't kill evergreen conifer trees, but this is far from that.

I have a favorite way of getting rid of stumps after they've been dead for at least a year. I bore a hole in them about 1 foot deep (even .25 meters is enough) and then bore an intersecting hole at an angle, next to it. This makes a V shaped pair of holes that connect at the bottom. If the stump is more than about .3 meters across, I'll make more than one pair of holes.

Now when the season is damp to avoid spreading a fire, I soak that stump with diesel, filling the holes but soaking the entire stump. The next day I come back and soak it again. Then I light the diesel on fire, and those holes act like wood stoves. The fire rises out of the vertical hole, and the angled hole lets oxygen in to the base. After the liquid diesel is gone, the fire will keep burning on it's own and often burns even the roots just leaving holes in the ground. At the least, it burns up all of the stump, as the initial heat completely dries out the wood and the fire won't go out until all of the wood fuel is gone.

I forgot to mention. I have a hard time just lighting diesel some times. The answer for me is to put some into a pump up garden sprayer. Then I wad up some newspaper and put it at the base of my diesel soaked target. I light the newspaper, and mist it with the diesel. That delivers small enough mist particles and enough oxygen to blow the whole thing into a real fire.

It is a deciduous tree and a member of the legume family. I can't see why Roundup wouldn't kill it. Roundup won't kill evergreen conifer trees, but this is far from that.

I have a favorite way of getting rid of stumps after they've been dead for at least a year. I bore a hole in them about 1 foot deep (even .25 meters is enough) and then bore an intersecting hole at an angle, next to it. This makes a V shaped pair of holes that connect at the bottom. If the stump is more than about .3 meters across, I'll make more than one pair of holes.

Now when the season is damp to avoid spreading a fire, I soak that stump with diesel, filling the holes but soaking the entire stump. The next day I come back and soak it again. Then I light the diesel on fire, and those holes act like wood stoves. The fire rises out of the vertical hole, and the angled hole lets oxygen in to the base. After the liquid diesel is gone, the fire will keep burning on it's own and often burns even the roots just leaving holes in the ground. At the least, it burns up all of the stump, as the initial heat completely dries out the wood and the fire won't go out until all of the wood fuel is gone.

What's wrong with a little old-fashioned handwork? Why use poisonous substances that contaminate the soil? Cut the trees and dig out the stumps. And if you're too lazy, get someone with a small/compact excavator or the likes. It also leaves you with firewood.

Edited by robenroute

Glyphosate (Roundup) does it, easily available here. All very well to say that you can uproot the stuff by hand (I did some today, tough work) but when you are overrun with the pluckers you may start to think about a bit of chemical warfare. May need to repeat the dose later on. If they are growing between plants you want to conserve, you may need to cover your plants briefly with plastic or sacking while spraying, or even just gently bend the branches over into a tub of brew, morning or evening hours preferably.