Hong Kong Police Clearance - How Long Does It Take To Get One?

My Thai partner is applying for an Australian Spouse visa and needs a police clearance from Hong Kong as she previously worked there.

Anybody any experience with this? How long does it take? Any problems we might encounter or tips you can give us?

Thanks

Jeremy

Thanks for the link Vinny but its not a lot of help as it only gives instructions for Hong Kong residents. I do have the instructions for non residents (see below).

I would still be very interested in anybody's actual experiences of the process as it is likely to be the main cause of a delay in getting a spouse visa.

Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region)

Relevant document – 'Certificate of No Criminal Conviction' (CNCC)

Apply to Hong Kong (SAR) Police Identification Bureau,

Residents in person to the CNCC Office

Non-residents by mail to

The Commissioner of Police

(Attn: OIC CNCC)

At B1 Floor, Trade Department Tower

700 Nathan Road

Kowloon

Provide passport or Hong Kong ID card, original and photocopy of the referral letter from the DIMIA office processing your application. Fingerprints: Residents taken at interview; Non-Residents must obtain and send fingerprints certified (name, rank, full name of agency and date) by the police agency of the country of residence.

Note: Residents: Where an applicant is seeking to obtain 'Certificates of no criminal conviction' for him/herself, a spouse and/or

children, original proof of the applicant's marriage and the children's relationship to the applicant (marriage and birth certificates)

must be provided. In the case of a stepchild, the original and a photocopy of the relevant marriage certificate and documentary proof of the step-child's relationship to the applicant must be provided. The original documents will be returned.

Fee payable.

Form Residents obtained at a pre-arranged interview with HKP.

Non-residents obtained by mail.

CLOSE QUOTE

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody from DIMIA there?

This is a real Catch 22.

The DIMIA documentation quoted above says "Provide passport or Hong Kong ID card, original and photocopy of the referral letter from the DIMIA office processing your application. "

The Australian Visa Processing Centre in Bangkok said (when we visited them today) that the Hong Kong Police Clearance is nothing to do with them and they could not give us a referral letter. They claimed that they had never processed anybody who had worked in Hong Kong.

We have the necessary fingerprinting etc to get a Police Clearance from Hong Kong but how do we get a refferal from DIMIA?

I will try to contact the Embassy for advice on this tomorrow but last time I tried all I could get was an answering service to which nobody responded.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Jeremy