No 800 Baht To Airport Anymore

Baxer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the bus from Jomtien 134 baht. Just as comfortable with a/c leaves every 30 minutes.

Details about all options to the airport from pattaya please?

Buses, minvans and decent taxi services?

Mr. T offers a great service.

Mr. T WAS good, i used him last year and the driver was an asshol_e, i can not belive i actually tipped him!!!

Any other good options?

Edited by infinity11

Get the bus from Jomtien 134 baht. Just as comfortable with a/c leaves every 30 minutes.

Yeah and cart all your suitcases and hand luggage to the bus stop............

Or go with Bells bus and they will pick you up from a nearby location in a mini-bus for a few extra Baht and take you to the bus station. I've always found that a good option - done from Pattaya itself though and not Jomtien.

i normally use pattaya taxis 0812587716... never had the same driver twice but always nice clean new cars... only 900 baht including tolls.. i normally give the driver at least 1200 baht as i don't know how they can make money as it would cost me more in diesel if my wife does return trip in our truck blink.png

1500 baht including tollway seems to be the standard coming from the airport.. could knock a couple hundred baht if you want to haggle..

i used to use Bells when it wasn't well known but always seems to full of annoying people these days.. last thing you want after traveling for 24 hours saai.gif

I operate a couple of Tour Desks in two hotels. It's quite true, the prices have simply gone up. No one can do 800thb any more. The minimum I can arrange (but only between 09:00 - 21:00) is 960thb including the motorway. Outside of these hours; +100-200thb.

Mr. T can do it for 900 Baht any time of the day, 1,000 Baht from Swampy to Pattaya.

"I had a chat whit a guy at a taxi stand a few days ago, he told me the Pattaya Taxi organisation had them to stop the 800 Baht taxi to airport because it was illegal, and i guess he was right, because i no longer see any signs advertising the 800 Baht ride." [/Quote]

There's no law against it. What he meant was if the Pattaya taxi mafia found out he was doing the service for 800 Baht then he'd have the sh!t kicked out of him.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Its been 800 for as long as I can remember and thats a couple decades, so if it has been raised to 1000 Baht nobody could possibly argue the point....??

No problems for me, but it is a bit funny that everyone stops the 800 Baht ride at the same time.

Maybe so but where in the world can you travel 80 miles or so to Swampy for less than the equivalent of £20 !!

Then I hope you ask the taxi drivers why it costs 200 Baht to go 4 miles in a taxi within Pattaya when they can go 80 miles for 800 Baht??

Prices in foreign currency has nothing to do with the price of goods or services in this country, otherwise you could just as legitimately ask why is it so expensive in Thailand compared to [insert country here]

Its been 800 for as long as I can remember and thats a couple decades, so if it has been raised to 1000 Baht nobody could possibly argue the point....??

No problems for me, but it is a bit funny that everyone stops the 800 Baht ride at the same time.

Maybe so but where in the world can you travel 80 miles or so to Swampy for less than the equivalent of £20 !!

Then I hope you ask the taxi drivers why it costs 200 Baht to go 4 miles in a taxi within Pattaya when they can go 80 miles for 800 Baht??

Prices in foreign currency has nothing to do with the price of goods or services in this country, otherwise you could just as legitimately ask why is it so expensive in Thailand compared to [insert country here]

Am sure you're correct..........

The thread was about the Original 800 Baht fare being Cartel changed not about inserting your own Country.

The 800 Baht deal was in fact illegal, they are Bangkok taxi's who are not allowed to ply for hire in Pattaya.

The 800 Baht service is offered using Bangkok Taxis who don't want to go home empty and a 300 Baht commission is payable to the Pattaya Taxi Mafia.

You will often see Bangkok Taxis parked up with drivers sleeping in the cars, they are all waiting for a 500 baht fare back to Bangkok.

I once approached a Bangkok Taxi direct about a ride to Bangkok and was surprised how quickly we were surrounded by Motorbike taxi's making sure that the deal was done with 300 baht payable locally.

After speaking to the driver he explained that if he doesn't pay the 300 baht then he would be picked out by police by the time he gets to the highway, they are always being watched closely by the locals! In fact they have problems if they park up somewhere where they are not being watched.

i am not sure why everyone is fixated on 800, 800 was for taxi, plus customer pays tolls so really it was never 800, but more like 920 or so.

With Mr. T. 800 Baht included tolls

no doubt he can, but the outside booths was 800 for the ride and customer pays tolls.

though even on this thread the prices mr t charge seem to vary from 800-900 as per peoples posts

[No problems for me, but it is a bit funny that everyone stops the 800 Baht ride at the same time.

Am sure you're correct..........

The thread was about the Original 800 Baht fare being Cartel changed not about inserting your own Country.

Then why did you introduce a comparison to another country currency?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

i am not sure why everyone is fixated on 800, 800 was for taxi, plus customer pays tolls so really it was never 800, but more like 920 or so.

no doubt he can, but the outside booths was 800 for the ride and customer pays tolls.

though even on this thread the prices mr t charge seem to vary from 800-900 as per peoples posts

So why go to the booths and pay their commission? Cut out the middle man and go straight to the source.

Mr. T. is currently 900 Baht, service used yesterday, he used to be 800 Baht last time I used him about 6 years ago.

I operate a couple of Tour Desks in two hotels. It's quite true, the prices have simply gone up. No one can do 800thb any more. The minimum I can arrange (but only between 09:00 - 21:00) is 960thb including the motorway. Outside of these hours; +100-200thb.

your post does not really add up, only because its 800 for the taxi and customer pays the tolls, so 960 is pretty much the same as 800 only tolls charged upfront

Tolls must have gone up by 100% then.

tolls are around 100-120, so what exactly are you talking about going up by 100%?

There are two toll booths on the way to Swampy, each is 30 baht.

My guess is, that’s why jbrain was commenting about a 100% increase.

• Like 1

Mr. T indeed 900 incl. Toll to go / 1000 to be picked up from airport. With NGV the fuel cost for a return trip is way less than 300.

have you forgotten to calculate in, the insurance, wear & tear on wheels and the car itself, servicing and drivers time, not to mention parking fees in the airport, occasional police tickets, cleaning the car etc

Mr. T indeed 900 incl. Toll to go / 1000 to be picked up from airport. With NGV the fuel cost for a return trip is way less than 300.

Have you got contact details / an email address for Mr T ? I've been using PT for several years but would like to switch due to a v late pick-up on my last trip.

Thanks.

I do not think many

So why go to the booths and pay their commission? Cut out the middle man and go straight to the source.

Mr. T. is currently 900 Baht, service used yesterday, he used to be 800 Baht last time I used him about 6 years ago.

Booth uses taxi's from BKK, while Mr T is just 1 man NOT a company despite what many like to think, he simply gives out work to cars and drivers.

IF you think changing from Mr T to Mr D or Mr G would be different, you would be mistaken, they all share the work and give each other work.

I know very well Mr D and for most of the time, he does not know who would be driving you, because he gives work to a friend, who gives it another friend.

Booth uses taxi's from BKK, while Mr T is just 1 man NOT a company despite what many like to think, he simply gives out work to cars and drivers.

IF you think changing from Mr T to Mr D or Mr G would be different, you would be mistaken, they all share the work and give each other work.

I know very well Mr D and for most of the time, he does not know who would be driving you, because he gives work to a friend, who gives it another friend.

Mr T does indeed farm the jobs out to a variety of drivers. Many who have worked with him for years, and some exclusively...especially his family members.

But I've never heard of him farming out a job that gets farmed out again. I'm sure it's happened a few times, but doubt it's the norm. I've used Mr T many, many, many times as have many of my friends.

[email protected]

He's quite responsive, but give him a few hours to respond just in case. A few days notice is usually sufficient unless it's a major holiday or something.

Mr T does indeed farm the jobs out to a variety of drivers. Many who have worked with him for years, and some exclusively...especially his family members.

But I've never heard of him farming out a job that gets farmed out again. I'm sure it's happened a few times, but doubt it's the norm. I've used Mr T many, many, many times as have many of my friends.

[email protected]

He's quite responsive, but give him a few hours to respond just in case. A few days notice is usually sufficient unless it's a major holiday or something.

Its not the norm, but all varies by the work load and drivers location. Also he may not even know, but if the driver who got the job is sick or whatever, he would simply give it to someone else without even Mr T knowledge.

It does feel good to have a contact man, and Mr T will sort it out if you have a problem, but in the end they are all the same in my opinion

your post does not really add up, only because its 800 for the taxi and customer pays the tolls, so 960 is pretty much the same as 800 only tolls charged upfront

Sorry, what I meant was 800thb (inc motorway). 960thb IS the cheapest we can do where the driver and us can still achieve a small profit.

Sorry, what I meant was 800thb (inc motorway). 960thb IS the cheapest we can do where the driver and us can still achieve a small profit.

I can never see how any money can be made at these Prices !! Sure Fuel and Wages might just be covered but never the Maintenance of the Car itself (or doing it properly anyway), Insurance etc......

Edited by Chivas

tolls are around 100-120, so what exactly are you talking about going up by 100%?

Tolls are 60 Baht in total. Two toll booths 30 Baht each.

Mr T has been 900 Baht since the new airport opened.

I can't match Mr T. If he and his drivers can achieve a living from this, I wish him the very best.

I suspect that Mr T organises things so that his drivers dont make many empty return trips, thus doubling what they receive for each two-way journey. It would be worth their while to wait for several hours at the airport for a return fare, and I doubt that they often have to wait anywhere near that long.

I can't match Mr T. If he and his drivers can achieve a living from this, I wish him the very best.

I suspect that Mr T organises things so that his drivers dont make many empty return trips, thus doubling what they receive for each two-way journey. It would be worth their while to wait for several hours at the airport for a return fare, and I doubt that they often have to wait anywhere near that long.

It's not unusual for them to wait several hours. Especially when somebody does a no show or the flight gets delayed/cancelled. The drivers rely on tips...what they earn for the drive is very little.