Transport Ministry To Proceed With Bangkok-Chiang Mai High-Speed Rail Project

webfact

Transport Ministry to proceed with first high-speed rail construction project

BANGKOK, 25 January 2013 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry is ready to proceed with the much-anticipated construction of the country’s first high-speed rail system between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

After chairing the public hearing on the high-speed train project on Thursday, Permanent Secretary for Transport, Pol. Gen. Wichean Potephosree said that all information gathered from members of the public will be incorporated into the development plan of the project.

Pol. Gen. Wichean expects the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for this first high-speed rail line will be concluded by August and the construction bidding will take place within 3 months that follow or sometime between the end of 2013 and the beginning of 2014.

He stated that the first phase of Thailand’s first high-speed train system will run from Bangkok to Phitsanulok and will cost 240 billion baht to complete, while the actual operation is set in early 2018.

The Permanent Secretary for Transport added that the construction of the second phase between Phitsanulok and Chiang Mai will take place a year later, under the budget of 380 billion baht, before it opens for service in 2019.

Once completed, the entire trip will take around 3 hours, said Pol. Gen. Wichean.

Meanwhile, the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning Director Chula Sukmanop said that the feasibility study of this project will be divided into two parts to help speed up the execution, particularly because of the several tunnels this line will need along its route.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-01-25 footer_n.gif

I'm puzzled and confused.

2012-05-22 we had then Transport Minister Jarupong say to have a THB 983.47 billion budget, for plans to construct 5 high-speed rail routes, including Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nong Khai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Padang Besar.

Now all of eight months later we need THB 380 + 240 (i.e. 620 billion) for Bangkok - CM alone. I did notice some give the link BKK-CM 745 km and some 665, but that hardly explains things. Also the firming of the Thai Baht doesn't match up. ermm.gif

Bubble breeders at work...........

This is all very fine,besides the high cost of building and running a H/S one hopes that they the Transport Ministry , know that a proper high speed line requires a half kilometer easement on both sides of the per way, this is because of the high screaming pitch of the electric drive motors, this will stampede cattle and one hopes a few Thai politicians.cheesy.gif

I'm puzzled and confused.

2012-05-22 we had then Transport Minister Jarupong say to have a THB 983.47 billion budget, for plans to construct 5 high-speed rail routes, including Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nong Khai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Padang Besar.

Now all of eight months later we need THB 380 + 240 (i.e. 620 billion) for Bangkok - CM alone. I did notice some give the link BKK-CM 745 km and some 665, but that hardly explains things. Also the firming of the Thai Baht doesn't match up. ermm.gif

No sense straining your brain over the budget. Lets just say it will be 1bill baht per kilometer.

This is all very fine,besides the high cost of building and running a H/S one hopes that they the Transport Ministry , know that a proper high speed line requires a half kilometer easement on both sides of the per way, this is because of the high screaming pitch of the electric drive motors, this will stampede cattle and one hopes a few Thai politicians.cheesy.gif

Since when has noise pollution been an issue in Thailand wink.png

• Like 2

Get your kids focused on a career in government, the biggest money earner going right now. Don't need to be an entrepreneur, don't need to have a new idea, don't need to be real bright, don't need to manufacture anything, just need to keep your nose in trough of the never ending flow of the peoples taxes. As has been said, money for nothing, but the chicks aren't free,

• Like 2

I'm puzzled and confused. 2012-05-22 we had then Transport Minister Jarupong say to have a THB 983.47 billion budget, for plans to construct 5 high-speed rail routes, including Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nong Khai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Padang Besar. Now all of eight months later we need THB 380 + 240 (i.e. 620 billion) for Bangkok - CM alone. I did notice some give the link BKK-CM 745 km and some 665, but that hardly explains things. Also the firming of the Thai Baht doesn't match up. ermm.gif

I suppose when/if the BKK-CM route is finished, the budget left for the irrelevant route to Padang Basar (after all only serving the whole south and Malaysia/Sin) will allow for a slightly reduced technical solution only:

372682583_472.jpg

There is no need to wait for the completion of the feasibility study, the result was given to those involved along with a multi-million baht cheque.

Similarly there is no need for a hi-speed passenger rail service, except as a vehicle for massive corrupt rake-offs.

• Like 2

If it's high speed I presume there wont be many, if any, (scheduled) stops en route. Fortunately I live in CM and if I have to go to BKK there's a much safer and quicker way about 35000 feet above.

With plenty of capacity to expand if/when required, without a billion dollar outlay of borrowed money.

I wonder if the breakdown of the budget will ever be disclosed - whilst I know road construction costs per Km this appears to be 10 x the cost, which, without reference, I can't comment. But mine includes dual lane, kerbing and channeling as well as drainage and above ground electricity. But then again, it's not my job either. No doubt all the snouts are back at the trough.

Edited by Locationthailand
  • Like 1

Since it's only a few days ago that PM Yingluck told us about four new strategies, you are forgiven your ignorance, but please do pay attention rolleyes.gif

In briliantly clear (Thai) words mangled into English by theNation staff, she said one of the four to be

emphasise growth on the quality-of-life and environmentally-friendly basis wai.gif

• Like 1

In Germany, after the reunification, in the early 90ies, there was the plan of building a high-speed track between Berlin an Munich (Nurnberg and Erfurt). Deutsche Bahn AG started in 1996 - and it's still not finished. And this, after they had expirience with ICE-tracks for years already (Stuttgart-Frankfurt, Kassel-Hannover opened in 1991 already.)

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnellfahrstrecke_N%C3%BCrnberg%E2%80%93Erfurt

Scroll down to see pictures of unfinished tunnels and bridges.....

In Germany, after the reunification, in the early 90ies, there was the plan of building a high-speed track between Berlin an Munich (Nurnberg and Erfurt). Deutsche Bahn AG started in 1996 - and it's still not finished. And this, after they had expirience with ICE-tracks for years already (Stuttgart-Frankfurt, Kassel-Hannover opened in 1991 already.)

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnellfahrstrecke_N%C3%BCrnberg%E2%80%93Erfurt

Scroll down to see pictures of unfinished tunnels and bridges.....

The English version in wiki seems less detailed in parts, the German version has in the starting paragraph (excuses, my translationwai.gif )

"The project is controversial, amongst others because of high costs, doubt in (transport) usefulness and far-fetching ecological effects"

http://en.wikipedia....h-speed_railway

Edited by rubl

Could someone please tell me how a policeman is qualified to build this railway?

Then, tell me how the enviroment study will be done in 6 months.

Also, why is it needed? Thailand needs decent roads and railways for freight. Why spend all this on a passenger route which is served enuf ALREADY? Forgot where someone comes from.

More money for the clan.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Could someone please tell me how a policeman is qualified to build this railway?

A misunderstanding surely. Permanent Secretary for Transport, Pol. Gen. Wichean Potephosree doesn't build the railway, he just takes 'care' of it wink.png

What a waste of money

Not needed

Just another plan for a few to get rich

If they do go ahead with this ... I think the

actual start date for this line will be 2030 ...

How many years late was the ariport link ?

and that was only 20 miles long

Well you could b re rite on that maybe a little low.wai2.gif

They say total cost 620 billion baht. How about 1.5 trillion.wai2.gif

If it's high speed I presume there wont be many, if any, (scheduled) stops en route. Fortunately I live in CM and if I have to go to BKK there's a much safer and quicker way about 35000 feet above.

Is there any statistics on the passenger per kilometer deaths out there?

Since it's only a few days ago that PM Yingluck told us about four new strategies, you are forgiven your ignorance, but please do pay attention rolleyes.gif

In briliantly clear (Thai) words mangled into English by theNation staff, she said one of the four to be

emphasise growth on the quality-of-life and environmentally-friendly basis wai.gif

Got it a real genius that one.

• Like 1

Goodness so many negative attitudes regarding new technologies. There was a <deleted> ton of corruption in the whole 3G fiasco too, but we still got it finally. Would you rather we have stuck with 2G instead? Yes as always there will be corruption. But that's expected here. They are still trying to upgrade the country's infrastructures and I'm sure there are a few common people who would like to see a highspeed rail link between Thailand's two largest cities. 3 hours from BKK to Chiang Mai sounds great, and without the hassle of dealing with the airports!

Edited by mcnad
  • Like 2