Falang Food Thais Love Eating....

krisb

I regularly make Buffalo Wings using the recipe I grew up with (the original Corning NY, Phet Mak) and have been requested at least a dozen times to make them (huge 10kg batches) for weddings and Tambons, Thais around here Surin just love em

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Thai bf loves

chilli dogs

corn dogs

garlic bread

onion rings

pizza

jalapeno poppers

roast beef sandwiches

burgers

actually any unhealthy food fried to perfection is gonna be a winner for my bf

**edit I almost forgot...he loooooves grilled cheese sandwiches too haha

Edited by ihunnieibee

This is something that maybe is mor typical for us scandinavians but the dish "Janssons Frestelse"; potatoes sliced like french fraiche shape together with onion, salt and pepper, anjovis, and the anjovis-spade and cream. Than in with it in the owen for like 2 hours or when readycooked.

Here in Isaan people just love it.....maybe the similarity between our fermented herring and their Plaraa makes the trick. They also loves the pizza I am making.. plus a lot of the list from the threadstarter.

Glegolo

try to make Salon pudding, my staff loves that more than Janssons.

Here's a receipt for you non Swedes.

http://easilygoodeat...ing-recipe.html

Also they like my beef stew.

And of course the spaghetti bologneise.

Use allot of of shitake mushrooms, garlic and chilli.

Your beef stew is excellent. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I struggle to think of something they will NOT eat. Tripe, maybe, but then who the hell eats offal in 2013 ?

I was a regular at a bar on Soi 7 in Patts a while back, and one night I rocked up with some Indian takeaway. As usual, my eyes were bigger than my belly and I asked a couple of the girls if they'd like to try some. After tentatively dabbing a piece of garlic naan into my chicken marsala (no, that's not a metaphor ..), one of them seemed to have a religious epiphany and the lot disappeared very quickly. Let's face it - any society which embraces McDonalds as quickly as Thailand has simply isn't a nation of discerning palates, no matter how good their own food may be.

MrWorldwide

Edited by MrWorldwide

My Thai bf loves

chilli dogs

corn dogs

garlic bread

onion rings

pizza

jalapeno poppers

roast beef sandwiches

burgers

So take it your American?

My Thai bf loves

chilli dogs

corn dogs

garlic bread

onion rings

pizza

jalapeno poppers

roast beef sandwiches

burgers

So take it your American?

I was thinking Vietnamese ..... eating all those dogs!

• Like 1

I struggle to think of something they will NOT eat. Tripe, maybe, but then who the hell eats offal in 2013 ?

I was a regular at a bar on Soi 7 in Patts a while back, and one night I rocked up with some Indian takeaway. As usual, my eyes were bigger than my belly and I asked a couple of the girls if they'd like to try some. After tentatively dabbing a piece of garlic naan into my chicken marsala (no, that's not a metaphor ..), one of them seemed to have a religious epiphany and the lot disappeared very quickly. Let's face it - any society which embraces McDonalds as quickly as Thailand has simply isn't a nation of discerning palates, no matter how good their own food may be.

MrWorldwide

Ive gotta say your first line doesnt work for me. They dont "love" lots of falang food and my wife eats offal if I let her. Things like pig blood in soup and liver, kidney, heart etc. Personally, I hate that stuff.

]Ive gotta say your first line doesnt work for me. They dont "love" lots of falang food and my wife eats offal if I let her. Things like pig blood in soup and liver, kidney, heart etc. Personally, I hate that stuff.

When I see Thai kids tearing into A&W, easily the nastiest fast food I've encountered anywhere in the world, I'm afraid I tend to lose hope for the future, but I stand corrected about the offal : its a staple part of the 'breakfast' menu from many street carts. FWIW, I also 'hate that stuff', but it was a major part of my parent's diets growing up in the Depression. You ate what you were handed or went hungry - I guess I'd even eat A&W if it came to that .... ;)

• Like 1

MrWorldwide

They eat that too, along with the French.

• Like 1

MrWorldwide

Ive gotta say your first line doesnt work for me. They dont "love" lots of falang food and my wife eats offal if I let her. Things like pig blood in soup and liver, kidney, heart etc. Personally, I hate that stuff.

lucky woman.

i generally watch what my child eats, but, oddly, leave adults to make their own choices.

When I worked in hospitality I noticed the Thais loved to scoff down Caesar Salad from the a la carte and bread and butter pudding from the buffet. They couldn't get enough of that b an b pud!

• Like 1

When I worked in hospitality I noticed the Thais loved to scoff down Caesar Salad from the a la carte and bread and butter pudding from the buffet. They couldn't get enough of that b an b pud!

Oh yes, I had forgotten about bread and butter pudding, my tribe usually devour it within a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

Another home made recipe that went down a treat for adults(the few farangs that tasted it said it was amazingly festive) and the children at Christmas was mincemeat milkshake!

A mate had brought three jars of Robertsons mincemeat over and i did not have time to make mince pies so i took a tablespoon per serving of mincemeat a small banana,cup of milk and nutmeg and cinnamon ....blended all together with a bit of ice and lime juice.Unfortunately i never had any Rum as i think it would of got messy! biggrin.png

Anyway if you have the mincemeat try it and see ....really really good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MrWorldwide

They eat that too, along with the French.

Yep a little more than 20 years ago I was on a main street in Paris, (Champs Elysees) right among the shops of famous Paris designers, and on one side of the street was a McDonalds, and on the other a Burger King. Way back then. I couldn't believe they'd even allow that on such an historical way, but there they were and are.

The only good thing about it (for me) was that they had American style coffee and that's the first I'd had since getting off the plane from the States.

My last ex gf in Chiang Mai couldn't get enough strawberry waffles. I ordered in an electric waffle iron.

Hard to predict what individual Thais will like, and what Thais "in general" will like.

I think they can eat and enjoy just about anything if its made right.

Problem is, seems a majority of the foreign foods restaurants around here are sub-par. and the really good ones are out of the average Thai's price-range.

I know a Thai lady (who was familiar with Mex food) and she said that she liked some mexican food, but hated enchiladas... I made some and shared with her, and she at em up with a smile..

Found out later the problem was, there was too much of a spice she didnt like.... I was able to narrow it down to cumin.....what she ate before, the cook used way too much cumin, apparently, and that turned her off..

• Like 2

I'm a bit surprised that dishes with beef or cheese made the list.

I thought the majority of Thais shunned beef and cheese.

Interesting.

Cheese possibly ( especially the strong pungent stuff we love) possibly but beef?

Agree with the French Toast, and to a lesser degree, pancakes.

I'm having to do Mexican at least once a week now for the wife and kid - they love the nachos grande with beef and tacos.

And they love the pizza at Dukes here in Chiang Mai. No going back to that goong Thai pizza.

I haven't had to make any pasta dishes for them in a while - but soon I'm sure.

Wife loves my chicken salad sandwich (with mayo, onions, celery, cashews, grapes on croissant), and my tuna salad sandwich.

I stopped trying to make foods for her; didn't want to be doing full time kitchen duty.

• Like 1