Long Term Career Advice And The Good Prospects For Expats

The first thing the OP needs to do is decide on what career path he wishes to follow, once he has decided this will determine what qualifications he needs.

He stated an interest in aviation, he also mentioned being a mechanic, what type of mechanic and what qualifications does he hold, C&G, HND etc etc.

If I was the OP I would look at getting transferable skills, turbine engines for example, useful for the O&G game and also for the aviation industry.

To longtimelurker, thank you for the reply. I have chatted to a few other expats out here who are working in the oil and gas trade but everytime I ask them about jobs and how to get in, they tell me it's a closed shop and they can't even get family members in! I know they earn good money but they also complain about being away from their families. I would have to take that into account also if I did manage to find a way in. I have actually already applied for some O&G jobs and will continue to look, you just never know what might happen.

There's a thriving O&G industry here in Thailand without having to work overseas, but even the overseas jobs you can get 28/28 rotations or 5 & 3 so have time with your family. Some mates that have worked here prefer rotations as they reckon they see more of the family on the month off than if they were here full time.

It's not so much a closed shop but they do want people with experience if you're an expat and if you know someone on a job that can recommend you that is the way in.