Is Pattaya More Dangerous Than It Used To Be...?

coralia

I think the crime rate has increased over the years but still better than most of the USA cities I have lived in. You can't really rely on statistics. I'm talking about the feeling on the streets. I have seen MUCH WORSE. Nowhere near the highest crime rate in the world.

I live on the Darkside, crime out here is out of control.

The Thais/Kymers have now realised that we have something & they want it now.....

My village has had 3 robberies, 3 attempted robberies & a stolen car in the last 4 months. I have been living here for 4 years without 1 incident.

Another neighbour was pushed off his bike on the way home & robbed.

People will say isolated incidents, none for 4 years, remember that statistic, now this rampant theft issue.

The Police are useless unless someone hands themselves in with a guilty consience.

Just my take on the subject.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the crime rate has increased over the years but still better than most of the USA cities I have lived in. You can't really rely on statistics. I'm talking about the feeling on the streets. I have seen MUCH WORSE. Nowhere near the highest crime rate in the world.

The Thais/Kymers have now realised that we have something & they want it now.....

My village has had 3 robberies, 3 attempted robberies & a stolen car in the last 4 months. I have been living here for 4 years without 1 incident.

People will say isolated incidents, none for 4 years, remember that statistic, now this rampant theft issue.

The Police are useless unless someone hands themselves in with a guilty consience.

Pardon my ignorance, but WHERE on earth is "the dark side"? blink.png

I live in a Moo Baan off Soi Nernplubwan.. Been living here for just over a year, not one break-in/attempted robbery. People who have lived here since originally built 7 years ago have also said not one incident of robbery. So I guess depends on location. Your correct increased incidents of motorbike bag snatch etc in Soi Nernplubwan, but the locals are on the ball & often work with the volunteer police to apprehend the assailants, blocking off the side street where they have done a runner, for a search etc If not already done so I would recommend you or partner obtain the mobile number of a local police volunteer in case of a problem, they carry radios that connect to the police network & enjoy a quick response.

Have you considered cha-am/hua hin, given you are taking your elderly mother? I'd say it was a tad tamer. Just a thought.....

Cha-Am/Hua Hin is indeed tamer....but so are the outskirts of Pattaya. I know many people who have their elderly parents with them here, me included. Nice thing about Pattaya is the variety of hospitals nearby, with BKK only 1.5-2 hours away if needed.

• Like 1

Have you considered cha-am/hua hin, given you are taking your elderly mother? I'd say it was a tad tamer. Just a thought.....

Cha-Am/Hua Hin is indeed tamer....but so are the outskirts of Pattaya. I know many people who have their elderly parents with them here, me included. Nice thing about Pattaya is the variety of hospitals nearby, with BKK only 1.5-2 hours away if needed.

Sorry Craig, but I think your post has answered the OP's question (regarding variety of hospitals nearby), whether it was Tongue in cheek, or intended I'm not sure.

Sorry Craig, but I think your post has answered the OP's question (regarding variety of hospitals nearby), whether it was Tongue in cheek, or intended I'm not sure.

Ha! No, not tongue in cheek. It is nice to have a variety though in case something does go wrong.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the "crime increasing sentiment"

Been here 9 years and feel less secure than ever before, other cities round the world certaintly have areas were tourists shouldn't venture unfortunately crime here is city wide, we have gangs shootings serious drug problems corruption at new levels inept incapable police that don't know how to police not to mention the quality tourist thugs that are roaming the night spots, the roads are dangerous all across the city and if you think the Thais want you here then you are dillusional I have never seen so much contempt from Thais than I'm seeing now, I have a bike that I don't use at night if I'm having a drink so I usually walk, on my route I get constant abuse by MB taxi ranks because I'm walking and not using their service.

Pattaya is a filthy crime ridden cess pit that the authorities have let out of control through inaction or ignorance, like a previous poster advised - you can minimise your exposure by being careful but the levels of "careful" have almost become unacceptable to the point were just being here is too much of a risk.

Tthe crime rate these last few weeks has dropped because the police have forced the criminals to inactivity during the 30 day clamp down, as many have said already this so called clamp down is the police actually doing some form of proactive police work just a pity it was only for 30 days.

As for those that are going to ask the "why are you here question" well that is something I have under review constantly these days and I am keeping an eye on alternatives, the risk reward balance is slowly shifting to ever increasing risk and at some point it will become unacceptable.

• Like 2

I have lived in the Pattaya area for 25 years. I have never had a problem on the street. I have had my house broken into however. If you have been away 2 years you won't see much change from the last time. In the last 5 years it is more crowded with more scams and more idiots. Just pay attention. Don't shut your brain off like many of the tourists that come here and wander around with their heads up their you know what.

• Like 2

Pattaya apologists always make irrelevant comparisons like referring to other cities crime rate. We are only concerned with the crimes involving tourists and foreigners. And in this case Pattaya has undoubtedly the highest crime rate in the world. It also has the highest tourist involvement in crimes than the rest of Thailand put together excluding Phuket which is fast catching up. Or does Thai Visa only report crimes in Pattaya and Phuket.?

Can you tell me where you got that info from ?... I lived her 9 years now and only thing i see different from the past years are the traffic. I never had a serious problem here, yet...

Most people who ends up in serious problems here asking for it them self!...mfr_closed1.gif

• Like 1

We had a thread last week that said 100 Australians died in Thailand last year. Australia lost 39 troops in Afghanistan, and 2 in Iraq. In 12 or so years combined. Go figure.

The worst part of the Troops deaths is that while most were in Multi Million Dollar Road & Air Machines most were taken out by $1.00 IEDs & even the AK47s used against them are $5.00 copies

In reply - Yes it is worse ,but so is everywhere else that has had an increased influx of Tourists in Tourist 'hot' spots.

Your statement is not true. There are few countries in Europe with fewer tourists arrivals than to Thailand. The city of Paris welcomes roughly three times as many tourists each year than the whole nation of Thailand. It doesn't have a reputation as death trap.

Nonsense.........Pattaya-Jomtien is far less secure (far more dangerous) than it used to be.

How did you come to this conclusion?

I would say Pattaya is no different crime-wise than it was 2 years ago, but who knows? There's no way to know for sure and reading news clippings and the local newspapers will not give you any useful data.

guys seriously is there an argument here

anyone that thinks pattaya crime rates are better than they were 1 2 ....10 years ago really needs to get with reality - this place is dangerous - very much more than it was one year or ten years ago, shootings rapes bag snatches gangs drugs scams guns corruption...............I recently heard from a good source that current initiation into a thai gang is to shoot a falang ???????? but they love us here don't they ?

Come on guys, imagine there was a city like Pattaya in your home/former home country, +5 000 000 visitors/year, bars, clubs and brothels everywhere, i know for sure that in my country that would be a disaster zone every night. I have lived here 2 month now, have been out around the town a lot, both sober and drunk, and are yet to see a fight or any sort of violence, of course there is bad things happening somewhere every day, but some people here make you believe Pattaya is some kind of war zone, and that is just bullshit. What i have seen is numbers of motorcycle/scooter accidents.

• Like 2

I would like to know that too.

You must have your own reasons for re-visiting Pattaya , otherwise I'd suggest that there are so many much nicer places in Thailand that I would take my elderly mother to .

Well, a few years ago I would have preferred Chiang Mai, but it has become extremely polluted, and my mother hates it since she was hit by a car there some 7 years ago... Besides, she likes the sea. So I could almost say that I'm planning to go to Pattaya for her sake!

Take a look at Ban Krut in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Lovely quiet beaches, not expensive, great seafood. Not a lot to do other than enjoying nature, but ..

• Like 1

guys seriously is there an argument here

anyone that thinks pattaya crime rates are better than they were 1 2 ....10 years ago really needs to get with reality - this place is dangerous - very much more than it was one year or ten years ago, shootings rapes bag snatches gangs drugs scams guns corruption...............I recently heard from a good source that current initiation into a thai gang is to shoot a falang ???????? but they love us here don't they ?

The comparison was with 2 years ago. Of course there's an argument - there's no data to go on. Your perceived ideas from reading media reports is meaningless and amounts to scaremongering.

• Like 2

I would like to know that too.

I find it hard to believe that residents of Pattaya don't know the Darkside.

That is the area East of Suk such as Soi Siam, Soi Nerbplawan, Kao Noi, Kao Talo etc.

Spread your wings & get out of the downtown hellhole that is Pattaya Central.

We enjoy life over here away from the rat race but unfortunately the criminals have also discovered our secret, hence the increase in the crime rate here as well.

I am sure our crime rate is small compared with Pattaya Central.

Regardless, we all have fun here so no negative comments or insults please.

Cheers all