Crazyswede Died In A Motorcycle Accident

bartomeer

With sadness I'd like to inform about the death of the thaivisa member Crazyswede. He died in an accident near his village by Surin on his way back from the Buriram Big Bike Show. Let our thoughts go out to his pregnant wife, his family and friends.

Rest in peace Crazyswede.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fellow biker, I feel very saddened by this news. If another vehicle was involved, I guess we don't need to look too far to figure out what happened. If that's the case, then I'm sure Crazyswede will return in the next life riding an even bigger HD whilst the other driver will return as a cockroach.

p/s: please, no offence is meant at all with this post, I have had a few close shaves with head on collisions, whilst being firmly in my own third of the lane, with these idiot motorists showing no regard for other road users. The only fit Karma would be for them to return as cockroaches or buffaloes.

• Like 1

I had a glimmer of a hankering to explore lost youth, but the bike-death of Richard Aftonbaldet down the road from me in Kantharalak in March (also a Swede) and now another one I guess that urge has evaporated.

RIP, and we all can respect your anger at such avoidable tragedy (probably), Gweiloman.

• Like 2

I had a glimmer of a hankering to explore lost youth, but the bike-death of Richard Aftonbaldet down the road from me in Kantharalak in March (also a Swede) and now another one I guess that urge has evaporated.

RIP, and we all can respect your anger at such avoidable tragedy (probably), Gweiloman.

Wasn't that long ago that Richard got killed. A Thai woman lost one leg, because of a Thai driving a car. Did anything happen to this pirck?

Thinking about my time on big bikes in LOS makes me understand that my artificial knee joint's still better than watching rice growing from underneath.--wai2.gif

What can you say? ermm.gif

We love bikes as much as life. It's lousy when one love ends cos the other love does too.

Maybe we will get to meet CrazySwede in the after life......but not for a while I am hoping.

R.I.P. big fella

I'm sure there are a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts here... And while I can appreciate their affection for that hobby, I'm admittedly not one of them.

I never rode a motorcycle back in the States, and once I came to Thailand and saw how the locals drive here, I absolutely decided I'd never drive one here and likewise do my best to avoid even being a passenger on one. It's simply not safe.

Sure, there are lots of other ways a farang can die here by accident. But IMHO, riding a motorcycle on the highways in Thailand is simply tempting fate and an early grave, no matter how skilled the rider/driver.

I want to live a long life and be around to take care of my wife in what I hope will be a long and happy marriage. For me, nothing is more important than that.

It's something the riding enthusiasts out there might consider. Everyone is free to make their own choices in life. But just remember, these kinds of choices often end up affecting not only the individual, but also, sadly, those he loves.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

I'm sure there are a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts here... And while I can appreciate their affection for that hobby, I'm admittedly not one of them.

I never rode a motorcycle back in the States, and once I came to Thailand and saw how the locals drive here, I absolutely decided I'd never drive one here and likewise do my best to avoid even being a passenger on one. It's simply not safe.

Sure, there are lots of other ways a farang can die here by accident. But IMHO, riding a motorcycle on the highways in Thailand is simply tempting fate and an early grave, no matter how skilled the rider/driver.

I want to live a long life and be around to take care of my wife in what I hope will be a long and happy marriage. For me, nothing is more important than that.

It's something the riding enthusiasts out there might consider. Everyone is free to make their own choices in life. But just remember, these kinds of choices often end up affecting not only the individual, but also, sadly, those he loves.

And I am sure that many of us would rather live to ride than die to live.

But you make a good point on considering those you leave behind when you live to ride to the end of your life

I hear what you are saying and understand what you mean.

However, we all inevitably meet with our maker one day and no man knows when that day will be. What is therefore important is that we make the most of whatever time we have, to do things that will make us happy as this will in turn, make those around us happy. Those who love us should understand this as we would if roles were reversed.

p/s: I refer strictly to "good" things and specifically exclude drinking, smoking, gambling, whoring - some of which I'm guilty of, but not all

• Like 1

It's a nice thought. But if that "thing" is (IMHO) a clearly risk-filled activity in Thailand that puts one's life in greater danger -- considerably moreso than if the person wasn't doing it -- then I'm not sure one's family should or would want to be supporting that.

Especially if one has a wife and children who presumably are dependant to greater or lesser extent on the farang man in their life.

Just the other day, read here on TV the news report of the Thai millionaire company CEO who was killed while riding out from his home on his prized/expensive imported motorycle when a big tree somehow fell across the road and fatally struck him in the head.

The point is... if I have to go out on the roads in Thailand, I'd much prefer to be inside a car with a couple thousand pounds of steel and perhaps airbags around me -- instead of sitting on a motorcycle with nothing but perhaps leather pads and a helmet to protect me. Especially the crazy way too many people drive in this country.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I too am sorry about the death of this man, and don't mean any disrespect, but there is no information as to what transpired to take the life of the Crazyswede. It apparently happened near his village/home near Surin, and that another poster mentioned that he had heard - heard, mind you - that another car was involved. No proof, just 2nd hand information. Then a bit more speculation and comments regarding Thai drivers.

But what actually happened? And how did he die (blunt force trauma to the head, possibly because he wasn't wearing a helmet)? And was his Harley, as many Harley owners are wont to do, fitted with loud aftermarket pipes, because some riders are certain that 'loud pipes save lives!'? (which in this case possibly, proof that loud pipes are just loud annoying pipes and don't do squat to save lives - my opinion, in that I don't know if he in fact had loud pipes on his bike - just saying!).

In my opinion, the only thing that saves your life on a motorbike is the attitude and abilities of the rider. As a rider, I know that you can't for one moment let down your guard and take your eye off the road. Perhaps the Crazyswede was looking at his map or GPS, looking into his cellphone, maybe fiddling with his radio controls (if he had a radio on the bike, or CD player or whatever) or doing something else for just a brief moment before realizing that he was about to have an accident with ??? ).

All this is speculation, and no one will ever know the exact details. However, there is not ANY information regarding this tragic death. But I would like to know if the Crazyswede always wore a good helmet and other safety gear while riding his bike, and that these failed to mitigate the situation that took his life, or was the Crazyswede another victim of 'false notions' about safety and freedom.

• Like 1

I too am sorry about the death of this man, and don't mean any disrespect, but there is no information as to what transpired to take the life of the Crazyswede. It apparently happened near his village/home near Surin, and that another poster mentioned that he had heard - heard, mind you - that another car was involved. No proof, just 2nd hand information. Then a bit more speculation and comments regarding Thai drivers.

But what actually happened? And how did he die (blunt force trauma to the head, possibly because he wasn't wearing a helmet)? And was his Harley, as many Harley owners are wont to do, fitted with loud aftermarket pipes, because some riders are certain that 'loud pipes save lives!'? (which in this case possibly, proof that loud pipes are just loud annoying pipes and don't do squat to save lives - my opinion, in that I don't know if he in fact had loud pipes on his bike - just saying!).

In my opinion, the only thing that saves your life on a motorbike is the attitude and abilities of the rider. As a rider, I know that you can't for one moment let down your guard and take your eye off the road. Perhaps the Crazyswede was looking at his map or GPS, looking into his cellphone, maybe fiddling with his radio controls (if he had a radio on the bike, or CD player or whatever) or doing something else for just a brief moment before realizing that he was about to have an accident with ??? ).

All this is speculation, and no one will ever know the exact details. However, there is not ANY information regarding this tragic death. But I would like to know if the Crazyswede always wore a good helmet and other safety gear while riding his bike, and that these failed to mitigate the situation that took his life, or was the Crazyswede another victim of 'false notions' about safety and freedom.

You decide...CrazySwede the day before (I believe)

mario299post-77716-0-31484000-1359768203_thumb.j

I will try to answer some points made in post 25 as clearly as you.

• I am told by a very reliable (local) source that he swerved round a vehicle pulling out into the road and hit a truck head on.
  • He WAS wearing a helmet but not a full face one because I rode with him that weekend.
  • He rode quite steady on his heavy Harley and the pipes were NOT very loud.
  • He had no radio/GPS oon-boardeither and very much doubt he could talk on a phone while riding.
  • He was not wearing adequate riding gear IMO like many HD riders (Sorry, guys) but as a truck was involved, I am not sure if it would make a h'peth of difference

• Like 2

Thanks for that Dilligad.

When I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course in Seatle, Washington, learning to ride a bike for the first time, they had an acronym, which is kind of stupid, but apparently worked because I still remember it. It was SIPDE

Scan - all the time, be aware of whats going on

Interpret - what is happening

Predict - how the situation is unfolding

Decide - what to do

Execute - your chosen plan of action

The point of SIPDE was, you can never, ever let down your guard while riding. You always have to be scanning the area around you - not just straight ahead, but from the sides, from behind (being overtaken by other vehicles). And then figure out how best to handle anything, and everything. Only your actions may prevent injury or save your life on the bike. Not guaranteed! But always something to keep foremost in mind.

Was he overriding his line of sight, and not able to see what was coming in the other lane (or around the corner, up the hill, behind the vehicle pulling out in front of him)? We will never know why he pulled into the path of the oncoming vehicle.

I would say to the other posters who have indicated some trepidation and a change of mind regarding riding - this tragedy should not be a deterrent to riding. Proper training, proper safety gear and proper attitude are necessary when on the bike, but things happen.

Do the thousands of car crashes resulting in death and serious injury you see and hear about keep you from getting in the car each day? I'm guessing not.

Keep riding. Keep it safe.

• Like 2

For someone intent on not causing disrespect - you somehow managed it !

RIP CrazySwede, I shall miss your humour on the local forum.

• Like 2