Thai Govt Hasn't Kept Its Word: Korn

webfact

Govt hasn't kept its word: Korn

Chanikarn Phumhiran,

Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

Only 1 per cent of executive decree for Bt350 billion has been used, so it wasn't urgent, he tells court

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party deputy leader Korn Chatikavanij yesterday tacitly told the Constitution Court it had been duped by the government into endorsing an executive decree for a Bt350-billion loan.

Korn submitted an open letter to Constitution Court President Wasan Soypisudh yesterday, telling him that issuing the executive decree was apparently not as urgent as the government had claimed.

After the decree took effect on January 27 last year, the government had only borrowed Bt10 billion under the decree's loan ceiling, Korn said.

However, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong, reaffirmed yesterday the government would be able to open bidding for the private sector to join the water management project by February to April this year, to ensure that the flood prevention measure would go ahead.

Korn, after submitting the letter via Nipat Phodejthamrong, director of the Constitution Court Office, said he did not intend to tell the court it had made an erroneous ruling - he just wanted the court to use the Bt350-billion decree as an example for future cases. He said the court may simply not have had enough information when it considered the matter.

When the Yingluck Shinawatra government issued the executive decree to allow itself to borrow Bt350 billion for comprehensive water management projects, the Democrats asked the Constitution Court to rule whether the decree was legal or not.

The court ruled that the decree was constitutional because the government urgently needed the loans to start flood-prevention projects.

'Only Bt4.64 billion drawn '

Of the Bt10 billion loan, only Bt4.64 billion has been drawn for projects, Korn said, so less than one per cent of the Bt350 billion had been drawn for spending.

Korn said there are only five months left before the loan executive decree expires - on June 30 - but so far the government had offered no concrete plan for water management projects

to be financed by the remaining Bt340 billion.

So, it was unlikely the government would be able to borrow the Bt340 billion in time before the executive decree expires.

"From the facts, the government has not lived up to its testimony to the Constitution Court that it had an urgent need to issue the executive decree," Korn said.

Government spending for 2012 showed the government could have obtained the necessary loan via normal procedures and the 2013 Budget Bill, or it could have obtained the loan via the 2005 Public Debt Act, or by issuing an additional budget bill.

"When the Constitution Court considered the case, the court did not have the information for considering whether it was true, as the government claimed, that it really needed to borrow the money and that national stability would be affected had the loan not been approved. I understand that the court treated the government on its honour that day," Korn said.

But he said from the example of the Bt350-billion loan decree, he feared the government may lack transparency - when it sought Bt2.2 trillion for infrastructure development for seven fiscal years from 2013 to 2020 - as it lacks details on how it will spend that massive loan as well.

Kittiratt said: "The government is proceeding with water management projects worth Bt350 billion. The bidding should open this February. The auction will emphasise transparency. It will be open internationally and clearly show the bidding results to the public."

Meanwhile, he believed current baht appreciation should be well managed by the Bank of Thailand. He insisted the government would not intervene to manage in the currency. He said Thailand would have many projects that would rely on the import of machinery for infrastructure. And the baht's current strength should help the import sector.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-29

"Of the Bt10 billion loan, only Bt4.64 billion has been drawn for projects, Korn said, so less than one per cent of the Bt350 billion had been drawn for spending."

Since when is 4.64 billion less than one percent of 350 billion?

"Of the Bt10 billion loan, only Bt4.64 billion has been drawn for projects, Korn said, so less than one per cent of the Bt350 billion had been drawn for spending."

Thai accounting 101. Duh!

"...Kittiratt said: "The government is proceeding with water management projects worth Bt350 billion. The bidding should open this February. The auction will emphasise transparency. It will be open internationally and clearly show the bidding results to the public."

1. Kittirat said - "Bidding should open start this Feb" , coming very soon. So this would suggest that the massive water management projects are already planned and agreed. So where & when was the public hearings, scrutiny and comment, where is the research, etc etc?

2. Kittirat said - "The auction will emphasise transparency. It will be open internationally and clearly show the bidding results to the public." Would you believe that, given this guys track record for honesty?

Surely Korn is the poster boy of Economics having been praised to the skies by the usual followers on here. Anybody ask him how transparent the dust free roads project was, just part of the 1.43 trillion baht he and abhisit borrowed?

Surely Korn is the poster boy of Economics having been praised to the skies by the usual followers on here. Anybody ask him how transparent the dust free roads project was, just part of the 1.43 trillion baht he and abhisit borrowed?

But, but , the democrats..................... (sorry, was that misogyny too?)

• Like 1

Court asked to challenge government’s water management delays

By English News

20130129090050.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 29 – The opposition Democrat Party has sought the Constitution Court’s intervention in response to the government’s failure to deliver a realistic plan for water management and applying the Bt350 billion in loans approved under a royal decree.

Korn Chatikavanij, deputy Democrat leader, said the royal decree allocating the Bt350 billion loans for water management was approved by the Constitution Court last year but the government lacks a clear projection on budget spending and management of water system.

Only Bt4.639 billion has been earmarked, representing only 1 per cent of the Bt350 billion loans, and it was found that the amount of money was not used for water management, he claimed, adding the government has until June 30 to acquire the loans, otherwise the right is invalidated.

In an open letter to the Constitution Court, the former finance minister said the government did not abide by its explanation to the Constitution Court on the urgency of the royal decree and the government’s performance has clearly displayed its inefficiency in water management.

In fact, the government could have included the loans in the 2012 national budget or sought loans in accord with the Public Debt Management Act (2005) without the necessity to issue a royal decree but the government avoided doing that, Mr Korn said.

The deputy Democrat leader said only five months are left, as given by the royal decree, but the government still does not have any tangible plan, leading to the suspicion that the government intends to spend the huge amount of money without going through any inspection – an activity that will severely damage the country and become a criteria for future governments.

Deputy Prime Minister/Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong gave assurances that the government will meet the June 30 deadline in obtaining the Bt350 billion loans from various financial sources.

The Water Management and Disasters Committee, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, will probably call bids for projects related to water management between February and April after which the loans will be fully acquired within June 30, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-29

Govt hasn't kept its word: Korn

Well, tickle my toes with a turtle. That's a surprise. Perhaphs Khun Korn would care to name one government which has ever kept its word.

Note to editor, hold the front page, but not for too long.

Then it's ok. Let them go ahead cheating the public because no government keeps its word. saai.gif

Edited by Nickymaster

Take the usual 30% commission fee off the 4.64 and only 3.2 has been drawn for real spending.

Do you not understand what misogyny is, well obviously not if you have to ask the question - try googling, you may learn something.

What is your point? Korn, the leading light of the opposition and finance wunderkind queries the transparency of a project which has not been outlined - and then complains that they've only claimed 1% of the total loan (and gets that sum wrong) to finance it. It seemed to me a very good time to point out the less than transparent , nay, full of corruption dust free roads project that Korn and abhisit oversaw as part of their major 1.43 Trillion Baht loan as a counter point.

So I've discussed the PTP project and suggested why the whole of the money may not have been taken up and then compared it to a very similar deal undertaken by the last government and pointed out that aspects of their projects were not corruption free as Korn himself implies that the PTP projects are. That seems like a joined up response to the OP and the questions it raises as far as I am aware.

Unless I am transgressing some unwritten rule made up by some posters that it is forbidden to mention the past or the now in opposition party, the "democrat" party, I am at a loss as to what you are going on about with your "but, but the democrats" - is it because you can't put together a cogent reply? I have seen this "argument" used by other posters so it seems likely that I'm right, it's an alternative to debate.

Just like clockwork. The R.U.B. coming out with exaggerated accusations, with nothing pertaining to the OP.

Anything you would like to share about why the PTP, desperately need an emergency fund, and have failed to use over 95% of it?

Irrelevant - this topic is about the current government, it's lies and scams. Investigations into past corruption would require the extradtion of fugitive criminals.

Just like clockwork. The R.U.B. coming out with exaggerated accusations, with nothing pertaining to the OP.

Anything you would like to share about why the PTP, desperately need an emergency fund, and have failed to use over 95% of it?

Yep - and I bet they couldn't produce the 95% of it. No doubt an "outflow" of funds.

Do you not understand what misogyny is, well obviously not if you have to ask the question - try googling, you may learn something.

What is your point? Korn, the leading light of the opposition and finance wunderkind queries the transparency of a project which has not been outlined - and then complains that they've only claimed 1% of the total loan (and gets that sum wrong) to finance it. It seemed to me a very good time to point out the less than transparent , nay, full of corruption dust free roads project that Korn and abhisit oversaw as part of their major 1.43 Trillion Baht loan as a counter point.

So I've discussed the PTP project and suggested why the whole of the money may not have been taken up and then compared it to a very similar deal undertaken by the last government and pointed out that aspects of their projects were not corruption free as Korn himself implies that the PTP projects are. That seems like a joined up response to the OP and the questions it raises as far as I am aware.

Unless I am transgressing some unwritten rule made up by some posters that it is forbidden to mention the past or the now in opposition party, the "democrat" party, I am at a loss as to what you are going on about with your "but, but the democrats" - is it because you can't put together a cogent reply? I have seen this "argument" used by other posters so it seems likely that I'm right, it's an alternative to debate.

No there is no rule about trying to change the subject of discussion. Feel free to rabbit about something years ago, while we discuss current events.

BTW for those who didn't see it, you accused me of being stupid and a misogynist in another thread after I made a 2 sentence post without a single female reference, and which was on the topic. I asked you to justify that accusation without response, hence the reminder. I understand the term quite well, though I wonder if you do.

Normal Thai accounting ....

No there is no rule about trying to change the subject of discussion. Feel free to rabbit about something years ago, while we discuss current events.

BTW for those who didn't see it, you accused me of being stupid and a misogynist in another thread after I made a 2 sentence post without a single female reference, and which was on the topic. I asked you to justify that accusation without response, hence the reminder. I understand the term quite well, though I wonder if you do.

I didn't accuse you of being stupid (mind you when it's regarding anybody who is perceived to be supporting Thaksin or the red shirts this is the least insult that has been used). The misogynist reference was in reply to your statement that Thaksin did allow Yingluck to choose her dresses or some such - misogynist in this case being "denigrating to women" You may relate to this or not

that I find myself fascinated by the Macquarie Dictionary’s recent decision to change the definition of misogyny.

In the wake of Prime Minister Gillard’s speech on misogyny in parliament, in particular from Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, Sue Butler, Editor of the Macquarie, made an announcement. She stated that Macquarie were moving from the definition “hatred of women” to reflect current usage, which is as a “synonym for sexism with a stronger edge to it.”

http://theconversation.edu.au/tony-abbott-is-a-misogynist-however-the-dictionary-defines-it-10188

I would suggest your perceived definition of misogyny is "old skool". One needs to "chillax".

Could you try to stick to the topic on hand, please. Billions spent by previous governments are not part of that. If you want to start a topic on previous budgets, use or misuse, ask the mods or support to setup a nice new topic for you.

So here we have an urgently needed THB 350 billion which required an executive decree in January 2012 (legal bypass of parliament for emergencies) and all of 4.3b has been actually borrowed. 345.7b to be borrowed within five months. Borrowing that type of money takes time and without proper planning can be expensive in fees and interest to be set. Does the Finance Minister have an answer to that?

Did you not read my post, in particular this bit?

"So I've discussed the PTP project and suggested why the whole of the money may not have been taken up and then compared it to a very similar deal undertaken by the last government and pointed out that aspects of their projects were not corruption free as Korn himself implies that the PTP projects are. That seems like a joined up response to the OP and the questions it raises as far as I am aware."

Who are you to say that was not on topic?

I didn't accuse you of being stupid (mind you when it's regarding anybody who is perceived to be supporting Thaksin or the red shirts this is the least insult that has been used). The misogynist reference was in reply to your statement that Thaksin did allow Yingluck to choose her dresses or some such - misogynist in this case being "denigrating to women" You may relate to this or not

I would suggest your perceived definition of misogyny is "old skool". One needs to "chillax".

It was probably me that made the reference to her clothes . . . or was it shoes . . . or it might have been her makeup, I'm not sure. All of which are about the only decisions she is making for herself with regards to running this Government.

Am I a misogynist then? Or just sarcastic and accurate with my statements?

Could you try to stick to the topic on hand, please. Billions spent by previous governments are not part of that. If you want to start a topic on previous budgets, use or misuse, ask the mods or support to setup a nice new topic for you.

So here we have an urgently needed THB 350 billion which required an executive decree in January 2012 (legal bypass of parliament for emergencies) and all of 4.3b has been actually borrowed. 345.7b to be borrowed within five months. Borrowing that type of money takes time and without proper planning can be expensive in fees and interest to be set. Does the Finance Minister have an answer to that?

"So I've discussed the PTP project and suggested why the whole of the money may not have been taken up and then compared it to a very similar deal undertaken by the last government and pointed out that aspects of their projects were not corruption free as Korn himself implies that the PTP projects are. That seems like a joined up response to the OP and the questions it raises as far as I am aware."

You also wrote just above that sentence this one:

"It seemed to me a very good time to point out the less than transparent , nay, full of corruption dust free roads project that Korn and abhisit oversaw as part of their major 1.43 Trillion Baht loan as a counter point."

Now if you are trying to tell me that on general principle you have no problem with 'non-transparency now' because you think, suggest, imply there wasn't any before, I get the impression you are against progress. Shame on you.

Now back to the topic of THB 345.7 billion to be borrowed really urgently now as we already transparently told you in January 2012 rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

The money hasn't been used yet because it's taken so long for them to find ways to hide it and siphon it off without getting caught doing it.

Since this particular dollop of spondulix was for water-works & flood-prevention, one might have thought that 'siphoning' should be built-in, with the other more-real works ? ! rolleyes.gif

PTP are surely experts, when it comes to 'liquid assets' ? They can make a pint of human-blood go a long long way ! sick.gif

You also wrote just above that sentence this one:

"It seemed to me a very good time to point out the less than transparent , nay, full of corruption dust free roads project that Korn and abhisit oversaw as part of their major 1.43 Trillion Baht loan as a counter point."

Now if you are trying to tell me that on general principle you have no problem with 'non-transparency now' because you think, suggest, imply there wasn't any before, I get the impression you are against progress. Shame on you.

Now back to the topic of THB 345.7 billion to be borrowed really urgently now as we already transparently told you in January 2012 rolleyes.gif

Rubi, you are not going to get anything from Muttley except 'but,but,but.... the Dems', never an attempt to answer the topic.

So, let's ask a few more (unanswered) questions. Did the Dems use an executive decree for their loan? Was only 1% disbursed after 8 or so months?

Thaksin & all governments he ran & runs love to use the executive decree method to do their business. This bypasses parliament which is then left out of the democratic process. It's part of a bigger issue, which is: does PTP understand what a democracy is? Taken with their expressed wish to weaken or abolish some of the important courts, the answer is a definite no.

• Like 2