Which Suv To Buy New?

ketherin

Hi, I'm about to move over to thailand full time after visiting for the last 10 years.

We plan to do some long road trips so need to purchase a new SUV.

Think we've narrowed it down to 3,

Toyota Fortuna

Ford Escape

Chevrolet Captiva

Would you guys in the know mind giving me your opinons please, thank you

Would help if you could give us an idea as to what criteria you used to narrow the list down in the first place.. You've got a mix of PPV (Pickup based SUV's) and crossovers there covering a very broad price range..... and the inclusion of the Escape is especially confusing ;)

IMHO,

The 3 cars i listed are all in the same price bracket, about 1m to 1.3 m baht.

I thought looking at the 3 they were similar, not pickups or crossovers just

large vechiles which we would be safe in travelling around the country on long road trips.

The Fortuna is a 7-seater, the other 2 are not.

Have you looked at the Ssangyong Actyon? It is so beautiful and different that the locals would not be able to stop touching it and jumping in given the chance.

Edited by Briggsy

The Fortuna is a 7-seater, the other 2 are not.

Have you looked at the Ssangyong Actyon? It is so beautiful and different that the locals would not be able to stop touching it and jumping in given the chance.

Problem with the Ssangyong Actyon is the price,[import Taxes?] as OP states 'New' your could buy the top of the range Deawoo/Chevrolet Captiva and still have change......... top of the range Toyota Fortuner and a lot over..

Toyota Fortuner New model on way 2014 ? but may well be late this year.

The Ford Escape will be replaced soon, Made in Thailand ? so they say.......... as an idea of looks http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/

also here in http://www.pattayamail.com/automania/the-2013-ford-escape-is-looking-good-8299

Maybe an option, coming later the new Isuzu Mu-7

post-42643-0-91715900-1359512119_thumb.j

IMHO,

large vechiles which we would be safe in travelling around the country on long road trips.

Mitsubishiu Pajero Sport 2wdGT is great value at 1.2 million and would meet your requirements of a big vehicle, safe, and comfortable to drive around Thailand. Versatile interior is good if you want to either use it as a 7 seater or fold rear seats into the floor and use it as a 5 seater.

IMHO,

Mitsubishiu Pajero Sport 2wdGT is great value at 1.2 million and would meet your requirements of a big vehicle, safe, and comfortable to drive around Thailand. Versatile interior is good if you want to either use it as a 7 seater or fold rear seats into the floor and use it as a 5 seater.

I bought the new Pajero sport v6 in september last year, nice car, good navigation, touchscreen, dvd player, lcd screen in the back. Nice performance, but fuel usage was amazing (13l/100km), switched over to LPG now.

Another vote for the Mitsubishi PJS and I own one. The PJS can actually lay all seats down to create a reasonably large, flat cargo area. I have the diesel and get about 10km/litre, diesel is also cheaper than petrol in Thailand, plus no issues with Ethanol in petrol. If you are after a 4wd then the PJS also has a real 4wd system as opposed to all wheel drive system in the Fortuner. The Fortuner seems to be a bit wider than the PJS.

There are some threads from about a year ago detailing what you can expect to get as freebies with the PJS and basically it amounts to about 45,000Baht.. when I bought in late 2011 there were no freebies with the Fortuner as they were on 6 months back order due to the Tsunami in Japan.

The Captiva is overpriced for what it is and worse for the diesel version, have not really seen anything on the Trailblazer, the Escape is way overdue for an upgrade (was overdue in 2008), the Honda is good if a bit expensive and they tend to be a bit thirsty on the fuel (no diesel option in Thailand) lots of gas conversions done on the CRV's. The resale on the Captive and the Escape and probably the Captiva will be nowhere near as good as the Fortuner or the PJS.

If you are looking at the PJS I can try and find the thread on the freebies, some items were window tinting, one years insurance and mats from memory.

Cheers

The Captiva is overpriced for what it is and worse for the diesel version, have not really seen anything on the Trailblazer, the Escape is way overdue for an upgrade (was overdue in 2008), the Honda is good if a bit expensive and they tend to be a bit thirsty on the fuel (no diesel option in Thailand) lots of gas conversions done on the CRV's. The resale on the Captive and the Escape and probably the Captiva will be nowhere near as good as the Fortuner or the PJS.

It was mentioned in another thread that the Captiva diesel starts at 1.4 million and goes up to 1.7 million with a decent spec. The benzine engine is supposed to not be very good.

I had a 2003 Escape which was good car as it had the old V6. About a year ago I had a loaner of the current model with the 2.3 litre engine which made it quite underpowered and it was also very obvious that the car has had no serious updates since 2003, and I must say that it wasn't particularly leading edge then!!

Th Trailblazer seems to be OK (if you like the styling) but you really have to go to the top of the range (LTZ, LTZ1) to get any of the nicer features which would put it over the 1.3 million range.

ketherin, There are lots of minor differences between the different crossover and PPV models so your best choice depends mostly on how and where you plan to use the vehicle.

The crossovers like the Escape, CR-V and Captiva are a little smaller and more car like. The petrol versions tend to be heavy on fuel but the CR-V and Captiva can use the much cheaper E85 (if you can find it). The smaller petrol engine versions are a bit underpowered as well and only the Captiva has a diesel option. I reckon these are OK around town and for the occasional long trip but they do not handle heavy loads as well as the PPVs.

The PPV or pickup based models like the Fortuner, Pajero Sport and Trailblazer handle long trips and heavy loads easily. They all have common rail diesels which perform well and are reasonably economical for +2 tonne vehicles. But, the pick based suspensions do ride as well as the crossovers, the larger, heavier vehicles are more clumsy in the city and the PJS and Trailblazer diesels are a little noisy. The petrol versions of the PJS and Fortuner use even more fuel and are best left to those who want to convert to LPG. Thai taxes make PPVs good value, especially the PJS.

If any of your trips are going to be more adventurous, both PPVs and crossovers have 4WD versions but these will push your budget. The CR-V and Captiva have only marginally more ground clearance than a car so they are not off-roaders. The PPV 4WD versions have low range and can be quite capable with a decent set of off road tyres.

The 3 models you mentioned are supported by reasonable dealer networks. If you will spend much time outside of BKK, the lack of dealers for less common brands can inconvenient.

Resale value of the Fortuner has been excellent. The PJS and Captiva seem to hold their value well also. The Escape resale value has not been as good, partly because the current model is outdated and due for replacement and Ford have heavily discounted it. However Ford are supposed to be releasing the new model Escape sometime this year. Timing is supposed to be similar for the Mazda CX-5. So you may have some different options depending on the timing of your purchase.

My personal opinion preference is the PJS or Fortuner, but I do not live in BKK. If I did, and had little need for long trips / heavy loads, I would probably consider a CR-V, or maybe a Mazda CX-5 or Ford Escape if the new models ever get here. Good luck with what ever you choose.

So far no one has said the Subaru XV, brand new model and here and 1.3 million.........

AUS reviews...... Bigger, bolder and brimming with equipment

Edit: to me looks a lot better than the ugly hump back thing they call a CRV each update appear to make it look worse.. that is to me, sure some must love it.

Edited by ignis

thank you to everyone who answered, been to the showrooms and also listened to your advice on here.

Agree with the views about the craptiva, and couldnt beleive the poor build quality on the Ford Escape

( and i work for Ford Motor Company back in the UK!)

The Honda CRV is a nice looking vechile but decent spec puts the price up.

The Fortuna is a really good quality build, price for what you get outstanding, service, parts all availabe cheap,

and the resale value is very high, so think its a no brainer going for the Toyota Fortuna. thanks again everyone.

The CR-V is no oil painting but Subaru do not have a reputation as stunners either and the XV does not exactly break the mold.

Yes agree

Just somehow the new look CRV is dark colours anyway looks like the back end is about to burst, and the front, the new grill well it appears to fit at the bottom only, the top nowhere near the bonnet shape or size, and both end parts stuck on the front lights....... to me looks like they ran out of money or time and said never mind this will will fit that laying about from another project

Edited by ignis

Just remembered something important. When negotiating the purchase of a new vehicle ensure an english operating manual is included in the price. I received the standard book with the car and a sort of photocopied semi official one for the english version, still usable though.

Cheers