Will Be In Thailand For My 19Th Birthday And Need Some Advice.

Christiphuroc

My name is Chris and I'm a young fit fun male who is athletic, academic, and also likes drinking and partying . Im travelling with my 4 other buddy's and we may possibly be in the south west island regions. But I also like a good, safe but fun environment that dosnt disappoint or diminish through the night. Wanna have a great birthday away from home on my 1st backpacking experience. And any tips appreciated about safety, scams, good prices, good service, and fun people to help make this night the best it can be. But feel free to add general tips and secrets about Thailand and backpacking!

Cheers!

Edited by cdnvic
removed troublesome phrase

Sadly you are only nineteen years old and the legal drinking age in Thailand is twenty. Everywhere checks ID so you will probably have a very sober time here.

As for scams, just scan this forum and you'll find plenty of info, much of which is exaggerated, but not all.

Do not get into trouble with the locals!

And one of my sentences is not necessarily correct. You can work out which one.

• Like 1

Sadly you are only nineteen years old and the legal drinking age in Thailand is twenty. Everywhere checks ID so you will probably have a very sober time here.

As for scams, just scan this forum and you'll find plenty of info, much of which is exaggerated, but not all.

To the OP: never mind this post, at least the first part with the drinking age. I've entered big clubs all over the country since I was 15. No problem what so ever. They see tourists; they Welcome tourists inside. Safe travelling.

To the OP: never mind this post, at least the first part with the drinking age. I've entered big clubs all over the country since I was 15. No problem what so ever. They see tourists; they Welcome tourists inside. Safe travelling.

Obviously you missed the last sentence.

"And one of my sentences is not necessarily correct. You can work out which one."

Actually not necessarily <deleted>!

Given that he'll be in the islands there should be no problem at all but they do check ID at a number of the big clubs in BKK - Bed Supper, RCA, Thong Lo all spring to mind as requiring ID for entry. Whether they care that he's underage or not is another matter but the places I just mentioned have plenty of local money rolling in already so they wouldn't immediately get a hard-on for the tourist $$$ that a bar on the islands would.

You have got to ride your hired motorbikes down to the jet ski hire and go crazy!....they are lovely friendly guys who hire jet skis and motorbikes. Make sure you leave your passport with them as insurance so they know you will return. Also dont believe all the rubbish regarding condoms and hiv, its just not true, you dont need them, condoms arent cool in Thailand. thumbsup.gif

Have a great trip, let us know how you guys went!

• Like 1

Regarding copies of your passport and other important documents, scan a copy and send it to your own email; then you will always have a copy available. If you plan to party a lot, you really don't need to bring a lot of valuables. A decent but reasonably priced smartphone that connects to wi-fi and has a camera should be all the tech you need.

Don't be paranoid but be wary of anybody who tries to be your friend too quickly. I have made lifetime friends on trips but I have also dodged my share of scam attempts.

As others have said, don't mess with drugs,...a lot of the "pot" sold casually is junk anyway. Also, be cautious with bars serving "bucket" drinks which are very popular at a lot of the beach areas. There have been a number of sad cases where young people have died from poisoning after drinking these. Some bars buy cheap "home brew" alcohol to mix into these concoctions and it can be deadly.

Finally; do a "Google" on "Thailand, jet ski scams"; enough said.

Have a great time!!! (oh...and do use condoms; don't ruin the trip of your lifetime bringing home a lifetime souvenir.)

Definetly do not get into a fight with a local as you will lose!

Here you do not fight one on one you will fight every thai within a close

proximaty as they will stick up for a fellow thai even if they do not no them.

Do not ride a motor bike drunk you will pay a high price if you do have a accident.

Do wear a condom if you are having sex to not wear one is plain stupidity

unless you like playing russian roulette?

Have fun and be safe.

Stay at the beach where the ferry arrives, the whole place is not bigger than about 2 square kilometers,.and walking around you'll find the good vibes soon enough. Plenty of young western women. When I was there myself a few years ago, I felt like a stegosaurus: when I had finally discovered a tourist who looked like he was about my age (50+) I felt like slapping him on the shoulder and inviting him for a beer.

Enjoyy as much as you can! Phi phi is a great place for a party. Stay out of the way from drugs and troubles with locals...

Also beware for the ladyboys at night after numerous buckets! Happend to me when i was backpacking there I still think she was gorgeous... But I never forget that "thing" hanging there when she undressed ....

Thanks for the replies! Any ideas where in ko phi phi? Other then the reggae bar, where's some aces with good atmospheres and long nights?

What month-season, are you coming?

How long are you staying in Thailand - SEA?

Do you look for Short time "relationships" with females? Thai Girls,or more Tourists-students, or both?

Are you and Buddies on a tight Budget?

Sihanoukville in Cambodia is a lot cheaper, less masses, has also, a Backpacker+women traveler scene in the right time-season-not in rainy-off season,

a lively "Beach Bar life" and a small Beer=Lady-Bar scene.

Some good Discos to.

but all together sure far not so crazy than the Thai spots.

But if I am a "real Backpacker" same your father maybe was, 20-30 years ago, I would go now for other countries, not TH.

Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, where its still a lot unpaved and many, less traveled roads.

If you only look for drinking a lot alcohol with a lot of others - not cheap, I think,

than Pee Pee Island may be your place and the Full Moon Parties at Koh Panghan in TH.

But you could than also -cheaper- fly to Mallorca in the Mediterranean sea, in Summer.

I am far from 19 now and I was never in the "real" drinking mood in my life.

Pee Pee is absolutely to small for me.

My choice, before the rainy season, (starting May?), Sihanoukville, can be mixed with Pattaya,

if the Parties had not been big or crowded enough in SNV only a long 600km? Bus drive away.

Edited by ALFREDO