Reduced Fares For Senior Citizens On Bangkok's Public Transport?

Puccini

So now they pay next to nothing, and hard working folk are expected to give them their seats. I'm pretty ok with either of the above, but not both. I guess to each their own.

You come off as a bitter, and self absorbed. Show some respect for elderly folks. You will be there some day!

I'm not really bitter, but self absorbed is right on. Name somebody who isn't though. I may be there some day, but I wont be a rich Chinese lady wanting to save 10 baht and expecting everyone to get out of their seat for me. If a seat is so important, wait for the next train... you never see the "needy" do that.

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Sad 2

• 11 years later...
On 1/30/2013 at 8:40 PM, theoldgit said:

On the MRT you can get a token for a single journey at the elder rate if you ask at the booking office rather than from a machine.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

apparently that is finished now for foreigners. I was refused and explained this 3 times last week.

On 1/30/2013 at 4:24 PM, richsilver said:

MRT issues an "Elder Card" which gives you a discount of about 40% on fares. I believe the age is 65.

60 (retirement age in Thailand)

I got it when I was 57, didn't ask for it. The girl at the counter looked at me, said "you are over 60" and issued the old-age card.

I know how Biden must feel.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

I got it when I was 57, didn't ask for it. The girl at the counter looked at me, said "you are over 60" and issued the old-age card.

You must be aging fast. I'm 65 and have never been offered a discount.

On 1/30/2013 at 7:07 PM, utalkin2me said:

So now they pay next to nothing, and hard working folk are expected to give them their seats. I'm pretty ok with either of the above, but not both. I guess to each their own.

What a silly outlook.

For what it's worth I worked a decade here and contributed greatly to the society by assisting young people get into some excellent foreign universities and Thai professional programs. Can I have a card please sir 🙏 🙏 🥺

Senior card and it really encourages me to get out and about. I love the MRT and I wouldn't even think of living on the dreaded BTS farang ghetto line.

BTS has the senior card I believe but it is definitely not available to foreigners. I've asked a few times.

On 7/23/2024 at 1:10 AM, Lorry said:

I'm really shocked because every card that is issued needs a passport. No idea how that happened assuming you're not of age at the time that you got the card

On 7/21/2024 at 6:05 PM, orchis said:

apparently that is finished now for foreigners. I was refused and explained this 3 times last week.

I can see why. Anyone that sort of looks old can just say senior token please. It would be a monumental hassle and slow the q down to no end if you had to proper your passport for one ride one token

On 7/21/2024 at 6:05 PM, orchis said:

I got the senior fare several times when In BKK a couple of weeks ago.

Just asked at the counter and nothing said.

Just now, sandyf said:

this changed last week.

On 7/23/2024 at 1:10 AM, Lorry said:

I got the elder card without asking as well, but I am over 60.

I guess I look my age.

8 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I got the elder card without asking as well, but I am over 60.

I guess I look my age.

I was told at 2 different MRT stations that the elder card is now only available for Thai nationals, not foreigners. I managed however to get the new prepaid Visa MRT card for elders.

14 minutes ago, msbkk said:

I was told at 2 different MRT stations that the elder card is now only available for Thai nationals, not foreigners. I managed however to get the new prepaid Visa MRT card for elders.

How does this work? You always had to put money on the seniors' cards.

32 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

How does this work? You always had to put money on the seniors' cards.

The prepaid Visa card can also be used to pay in shops. MRT staff will sell you the card for a small fee but it is a bit complicated to register it by MRT phone app. It it is a real debit card and you are required to give lot's of personal details including a scan of your passport.  And the card can be loaded only via the app, not by MRT staff. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2013 at 4:01 PM, Falcon01 said:

You come off as a bitter, and self absorbed. Show some respect for elderly folks. You will be there some day!

....or maybe he won't.

• Confused 1

On 7/26/2024 at 3:20 PM, msbkk said:

The prepaid Visa card can also be used to pay in shops. MRT staff will sell you the card for a small fee but it is a bit complicated to register it by MRT phone app. It it is a real debit card and you are required to give lot's of personal details including a scan of your passport.  And the card can be loaded only via the app, not by MRT staff. 

Hmm. And gives the same rates as their seniors cards?

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Hmm. And gives the same rates as their seniors cards?

The card will give a huge discount, I think about 50%, not sure if it is the same price as the other senior card but it should be so. You can see every transaction within the app. The card can also be used to do money transfers to bank accounts with the app.

Edited by msbkk
addition

On 7/26/2024 at 1:46 PM, sandyf said:

I didn't even ask for it.  They looked at the age on my passport that I had to present to update an old card from Pre-Covid.  They gave me an Elder Card instead.

14 hours ago, impulse said:

I didn't even ask for it.  They looked at the age on my passport that I had to present to update an old card from Pre-Covid.  They gave me an Elder Card instead.

Been getting the discount since MRT started and never had a card. The reduced fare wasn't available at the machines so a question of going to the counter, ID never been required.

Even the other week no mention of a card.

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Been getting the discount since MRT started and never had a card. The reduced fare wasn't available at the machines so a question of going to the counter, ID never been required.

I got the cards so I don't have to wait in a queue every time I hop on the MRT and BTS.  At peak times, it's quite a queue.

For that, I had to whip out my passport.  Gladly.

Edit:  I'd add that having a card, I can change my mind mid-journey and hop off at a different destination.

Edited by impulse