Thailand Tourism: Hitting Record Highs

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what Pattaya you visIted but Pattaya i live in was deserted for most part of the year and i seriously doubt the last 2 months made the 22 million

Well i have found driving around a nightmare particularly the last 4 months. On South Pattaya road in the evenings, there are literally coach after coach after coach of Chinese tourists getting delivered to restaurants etc there. Anyway Pattaya aside, can you answer my question regarding where you are getting your overall information on tourists from?

general observation, business records, eyewitness account(flying into Thailand on 11 January, in a half empty plane, mind you its supposedly still a high season) common sense, delayed constructions, business associates statements, laundry shop statements

Now what do you base yours on? TAT statement? and traffic of coaches?Just for your information, there are 1000 coaches now in Pattaya according to a police friend

PS. The last 4 months, what about previous 6?

Edited by lemoncake

Not sure what Pattaya you visIted but Pattaya i live in was deserted for most part of the year and i seriously doubt the last 2 months made the 22 million

Well i have found driving around a nightmare particularly the last 4 months. On South Pattaya road in the evenings, there are literally coach after coach after coach of Chinese tourists getting delivered to restaurants etc there. Anyway Pattaya aside, can you answer my question regarding where you are getting your overall information on tourists from?

general observation, business records, eyewitness account(flying into Thailand on 11 January, in a half empty plane, mind you its supposedly still a high season) common sense, delayed constructions, business associates statements, laundry shop statements

Now what do you base yours on? TAT statement? and traffic of coaches?Just for your information, there are 1000 coaches now in Pattaya according to a police friend

I would tend to at least put some truth in what the TAT say, as supposedly they would have access to numbers/information etc rather than just heresay. For every person saying it is not busy there are others saying it is busy. Maybe the changing demographic of visitor is affecting your or your associates businesses where people catering to different things are busy. Although i have no doubt it is possible the TAT are over egging it, to have independent hotels people also commenting would suggest that there is a certain amount of truth in it. I would probably put more credence in the comments of the people in that blog, than someone's laundry statement!

I would tend to at least put some truth in what the TAT say, as supposedly they would have access to numbers/information etc rather than just heresay. For every person saying it is not busy there are others saying it is busy. Maybe the changing demographic of visitor is affecting your or your associates businesses where people catering to different things are busy. Although i have no doubt it is possible the TAT are over egging it, to have independent hotels people also commenting would suggest that there is a certain amount of truth in it. I would probably put more credence in the comments of the people in that blog, than someone's laundry statement!

have a read of another thread on numbers, one member has posted excellent information on TAT numbers. For example TAT stats for medical tourism is 1.5 million, where as it turns out in reality is only 600 000

PS. I am an independent hotel, taxi company i use services a number of independent hotels, so does the laundry shop. But you are welcome to put all your credence and confidence in to someone writing a blog because no doubt they have nothing to gain from the traffic and google ads all over the blog, as compared to real people on the ground doing business. You are right, we have no credibility, as we might loose something

Maybe there is an element of truth here. Let's say Tat number is a correct count of arrival cards. Hotels have low occupancy rates.

That indicates simply that duration of stay is shorter (average).

Also I see fewer western tourists in Bangkok, but more Asians.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by StefanBBK

Maybe there is an element of truth here. Let's say Tat number is a correct count of arrival cards. Hotels have low occupancy rates.

Stefan this is incorrect- if you have read the thread you will see that Lemoncake has had sight of the audited accounts of his local laundry, which, given they are down on last year, provides unequivocal proof that the numbers are incorrect.

Lots of tragic people on here that just can't bear to see Thailand do well. I've seen a huge increase in tourists walking around Bangkok, compared to the last few years. I doubt many on here can tell difference between an Asian citizen and an Asia Tourist. So they wouldn't be able to spot the huge increase in Chinese tourists.

What is tragic is people who follow like a sheep without any independent thinking.rolleyes.gif

I wish numbers were as true as TAT claims, sadly numbers are far from truth. You have seen huge increase of tourists? and you doubt many can tell the difference? so do tell me what makes you so special to be able to determine the differencewhistling.gif

You have an x-ray vision, or some laser eyes? or are you one of those "been here for long time, naturally speak fluent thai and naturally know more than anyone else", while in the mean time living in a tiny studio on the outskirts of town, but of course married to a hi so, hard working woman, half your age but in love with you for your personality and attributes

Well what can I say, you made the point there. Was thinking the samewink.png

Why would TAT fudge the numbers?

Wouldn't they have to have fudged them for the last 20 years to perpetuate the "story"?

I fly 4 times a week or more. Every flight is full.

Here's a clue. Not every tourist comes through Pattaya or happens to use that same random laundry...

Yes there are more Chinese and (dreaded) Russians in Phuket but, if anything this season is slower than last and last year was nothing special. The TAT figures could be correct although I think everyone in the tourist areas think they're BS. It's quiet for high season. It took longer to start this year (middle of December) and the drop off after New Year was pretty dramatic. It's busy but even walking Patong beach the other day It seemed more like April than January.

I think the only reason for the numbers to go so high is because of all the Russians , millions of them are invading LOS:

the only reason it appears that way is because they stand out like a sore thumb, while others just blend in

are they the ones in the white silk track suits and all the gold hanging around thier necks?

If all the doubters will just do simple checks on the internet you can determine if the tourist stats are correct or not. For every person entering Thailand they must leave their home country. Most countries report these figures on the net. The only disparity in departure (from home countries) and arrival figures in Thailand are people travelling to other countries before entering to Thailand. I have done the cross checks and the figures are close enough.

There is a shift in Thailands tourism. More Asians (Japanese, Koreans and Chinese) are visiting Thailand than before and they visit in family groups or tour groups, they don't like the beaches as much as westerners. We spend 2 weeks in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in December and it was interesting to watch the Asian tourist. They come in a small group and have a personal tour guide with a fancy mini van taking them around. One morning them I took my early morning smoke I counted 5 of these mini vans in the hotel parking area.

Phuket and Pattaya have a bad reputation and the tourism in these cities will stagnate untill they sortout the crime problem.

Many foreigners say the figures are wrong but many complain in the same breath about the long waiting times at airport immigration.

• Like 1

I don't have the time to research, but what are the TAT numbers exactly?

Are they just people who arrive into Thailand? If so I make 25 - 40 International flights a year. I would be 25 of those numbers, as would visa runners who make multiple visa runs that would inflate the numbers artificially. I also think Thailand has at least 1 hub correct - they are an airline hub that is easier to transit to Burma or Laos or Cambodia from Europe of the US, so assuming arrival in to Thailand on arrival and back again to depart - that's artificial.

Do they count domestic flights at all? I don't know.

So maybe, the arrivals numbers is confused with multiple counts, transit passengers and fewer people arriving in tourist destinations where resorts and bars are growing at a faster rate than tourist arrivals and diluting the numbers per establishment.

Regardless, my point is really that personal observations of people in Pattaya or Phuket as a barometer of tourist numbers or somehow a major datapoint to suggest TAT are making stuff up is weak.

Stefan this is incorrect- if you have read the thread you will see that Lemoncake has had sight of the audited accounts of his local laundry, which, given they are down on last year, provides unequivocal proof that the numbers are incorrect.

i like how you so smartly determined what the local laundry saysrolleyes.gif

So let me elaborate it for you to make it even more clear.

It is not a local laundry but a laundry shop servicing hotels, as i own one.

They wash the dirty sheets and pick up and drop off daily, so irrespective of you like to think, they know how many dirty beds were changed on daily basis.

When they say business is slow, it actually means less dirty sheets, which in turn means empty rooms.

Hope it satisfies your credence

If all the doubters will just do simple checks on the internet you can determine if the tourist stats are correct or not. For every person entering Thailand they must leave their home country. Most countries report these figures on the net. The only disparity in departure (from home countries) and arrival figures in Thailand are people travelling to other countries before entering to Thailand. I have done the cross checks and the figures are close enough.

There is a shift in Thailands tourism. More Asians (Japanese, Koreans and Chinese) are visiting Thailand than before and they visit in family groups or tour groups, they don't like the beaches as much as westerners. We spend 2 weeks in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in December and it was interesting to watch the Asian tourist. They come in a small group and have a personal tour guide with a fancy mini van taking them around. One morning them I took my early morning smoke I counted 5 of these mini vans in the hotel parking area.

Phuket and Pattaya have a bad reputation and the tourism in these cities will stagnate untill they sortout the crime problem.

Many foreigners say the figures are wrong but many complain in the same breath about the long waiting times at airport immigration.

are you joking? you have done the cross check? people leaving their country can fly to 192 other countries, so do enlighten me what exactly you crossed checked, also post the date from just 1 country

I think the only reason for the numbers to go so high is because of all the Russians , millions of them are invading LOS:

the only reason it appears that way is because they stand out like a sore thumb, while others just blend in

are they the ones in the white silk track suits and all the gold hanging around thier necks?

no, usually the ones without the track suits, you confusing them with Algerians French

They wash the dirty sheets and pick up and drop off daily, so irrespective of you like to think, they know how many dirty beds were changed on daily basis.

When they say business is slow, it actually means less dirty sheets, which in turn means empty rooms.

Let's consider the potential flaws in that logic.

1. More laundry's have opened up in that area and diluting the customer base

2. The laundry in question is crappy and does a poor job so some Hotels are changing laundry's

3. The laundry in question is more expensive than other laundry and customers have left

4. Some of the larger Hotels have decided to in-house laundry facilities

I'm not saying your laundry numbers should not replace the TAT numbers as a statistical analysis of tourist numbers...but they may struggle.

Edited by DLock

Let's consider the potential flaws in that logic.

1. More laundry's have opened up in that area and diluting the customer base

2. The laundry in question is crappy and does a poor job so some Hotels are changing laundry's

3. The laundry in question is more expensive than other laundry and customers have left

4. Some of the larger Hotels have decided to in-house laundry facilities

I'm not saying your laundry numbers should not replace the TAT numbers as a statistical analysis of tourist numbers...but they may struggle.

Your logic is flawed on a number of levels.

To start with , i was not talking about having less customers.

Please go back and read again what i wrote, they have less sheets to wash, which means less beds being used, which means hotels are empty, it does not mean hotels have changed laundry and it does not mean they do a bad job.

And NO laundry numbers are not there to replace "official" numbers, however is a very good indication if the "official" numbers are correct. Just as hotel occupancy rates are better indications to what is really happening on the ground, instead of some unknown count taking place in an unknown location with an unknown method

Edited by lemoncake

Please go back and read again what i wrote, they have less sheets to wash, which means less beds being used, which means hotels are empty, it does not mean hotels have changed laundry and it does not mean they do a bad job.

And NO laundry numbers are not there to replace "official" numbers, however is a very good indication if the "official" numbers are correct. Just as hotel occupancy rates are better indications to what is really happening on the ground, instead of some unknown count taking place in an unknown location with an unknown method

Less sheets to wash could easily be interpreted as fewer customers, hence my logic is not flawed. Your detailed analysis did not have any footnotes on methods and statistical variance...and when you say number of levels, what do you mean?

If your contention is that your laundry has exactly the same amount of customers, but those customers has fewer sheets, then I agree, your statistics are much more reliable that the official TAT numbers and you should publish them monthly so that the tourist industry can plan around them.

I stand corrected.

Less sheets to wash could easily be interpreted as fewer customers, hence my logic is not flawed. Your detailed analysis did not have any footnotes on methods and statistical variance...and when you say number of levels, what do you mean?

If your contention is that your laundry has exactly the same amount of customers, but those customers has fewer sheets, then I agree, your statistics are much more reliable that the official TAT numbers and you should publish them monthly so that the tourist industry can plan around them.

I stand corrected.

You could always admit to being incorrect, but that would be too much of a manly thing to dothumbsup.gif

Again for the 3rd time, since the first 2 times you had problems with understanding, the laundry(being one example) has the same amount of hotels, but less laundry from each one, which means hotels have less customer, which means hotels are empty., but carry on regardless with whatever makes you feel like a real man

I stand corrected.

You could always admit to being incorrect, but that would be too much of a manly thing to dothumbsup.gif

Again for the 3rd time, since the first 2 times you had problems with understanding, the laundry(being one example) has the same amount of hotels, but less laundry from each one, which means hotels have less customer, which means hotels are empty., but carry on regardless with whatever makes you feel like a real man

Is it not possible that those particular hotels are out of favor? old? More hotels are opening. ie more competition etc etc etc Not everyone who goes to Pattaya has to stay in those hotels, and just because they use less bed sheets does not mean other hotels are. Your logic is so strange I cannot work out if you are on the wind up.

I stand corrected.

I did not realize the level of detail contained in your "Laundry's as a guide to Tourism in Pattaya - A detailed analysis - by Lemoncakes, January 2013 edition", as you only provided an excerpt of limited information. Hence, my mistake.

Your new information adds credibility and substance to your post.

I look forward to your next report on "Beer consumption as a guide to Thailand's GDP".

Carry on.

I stand corrected.

I did not realize the level of detail contained in your "Laundry's as a guide to Tourism in Pattaya - A detailed analysis - by Lemoncakes, January 2013 edition", as you only provided an excerpt of limited information. Hence, my mistake.

Your new information adds credibility and substance to your post.

I look forward to your next report on "Beer consumption as a guide to Thailand's GDP".

Carry on.

no doubt you enjoy your trolling, i am sure TAT figures are correctrolleyes.gif

Funny, how TAT always meets its targets, despite world recession

As i said carry one regardless

Could it be that when there is a recession it is quite possible that tourism figures in a place like Thailand increase, as people find it difficult to continue going to other places which are more expensive, Thailand relatively is still a cheap destination.

or people are buying more washing machines

I stand corrected.

Is it not possible that those particular hotels are out of favor? old? More hotels are opening. ie more competition etc etc etc Not everyone who goes to Pattaya has to stay in those hotels, and just because they use less bed sheets does not mean other hotels are. Your logic is so strange I cannot work out if you are on the wind up.

You know, you right, my logic is very strange.

After all, you have experienced heavy traffic on Pattaya Tai road for the past 4 months caused by many coaches, so that means 22.3 million tourists is the correct number.

Screw the rest of the city and its road, the previous 8 months of the year, the fact that its a high season or the head count.

You saw the coaches and have traffic jam=few dozen million of tourists.

MY logic does not even stand a chance, putting aside that i explained it already 3 times, but hey Pattaya tai has heavy traffic for 4 months so it all must be true.

The fact that i own a hotel and made examples of all business partners and associates who experienced low numbers for the past year, means nothing because you have seen traffic on Pattaya Tai with coaches for the past 4 months.

I run a business in direct relation to tourism and liaison with travel sites such as Agoda, Expedia, Booking, Hotels, Asiarooms, Asiawebdirect,Wotif, Latestays and the list go on,

BUT i know nothing and my logic is strange while a retired person who has not worked a day of his life in Thailand, does not speak any thai(though no doubt everyone speaks fluent or good enough thai to get by on thai visarolleyes.gif ), NOW he knows much better, because he/she reads some stats and sees coaches or has been to the airport.

I mean what more could be said?whistling.gif Oh wait let me say it for you.

-I do not know how to run the business,

So i, the taxi service my hotels use, the laundry, the booking sites we all do not know how to operate, while a retired Thai Visa members , now they know how things are and what REALLY happens.

Could it be that when there is a recession it is quite possible that tourism figures in a place like Thailand increase, as people find it difficult to continue going to other places which are more expensive, Thailand relatively is still a cheap destination.

it sure could, if you do not understand the meaning of recession.

When people do not have jobs and loose their homes, it really makes no difference how cheap or expansive Thailand is because they do not have the money.

and those who do have jobs, do not know if they will keep it.

Those that have the money, certainly are not going to shop around for a cheap holiday, but do as they have always done.

Then of course the fact that Thai baht is strongest its ever been, also no doubt makes no difference, because its relatively cheap comparing to Paris

As i have said already too many times, i wish the numbers were true and showed, but they are not and empty shops, hotels, bars, restaurants for most part of last year is a pretty solid indication of that.

or people are buying more washing machines

Or fail to read the thread (as usual) but like to make trolly postsrolleyes.gif

All traffic into bkk was handled by Don Mueng by itself barely 6 years ago, now Suvarnabhumi that was seen as a megalomaniac project at the time is running at full capacity, and Don Mueng had to re-open. But those are all fake flights with fake passengers planted there by TAT. whistling.gif

Ethihad just announced record numbers of passengers, their busiest line? Bangkok. 691000 passengers up 38%. Fake. All the TV posters that see more business. Fake. The hundred of thousands of Russians. Actors. All the women that we never use to see now walking around. lady boys disguised as farang women to fool us. Thank goodness we have fruitcake..errrr... lemoncake here, only he knows the truth.

Edited by firestar