Rocket Festival

Gary A

Does anyone know the dates for this year's festival. For those not familiar with this festival it is supposed to wake up the rain gods. The rockets have gotten HUGE and sound like 747's taking off. There are parades, beauty contests and of course heavy betting. There is a small village south and a little west of Yasothon called Phnom Phrai that claims to be the origin of the festivities. This is disputed by Yasothon and there are good natured skirmishes every year between the city and the village. I have not been to the one in Yasothon but have been to Phnom Phrai several times.

Thanks for the information. I probably should make hotel reservations well in advance. It is great fun and I don't want to miss it.

Does anyone know the dates for this year's festival.

Mun Bung Fae (Rocket Festival) is held 2nd weekend of May. I understand that Yaso is the biggest - we hold one in our village too, Ban Sowa, 3/4 hr SW of Sisaket. Great fun!

I won 15,000 bht and a tropy at the one out past Nong sang a few years ago I think it stayed up for about 3 mins. But all I did was keep every ones glass full while they built it for 6 hours drilling the hole and honing it. But it was a good laugh a farang taking out the top prize for the that size even got on TV pitty they never let me keep the money

The last one I went two was pretty ruff a drunk guy climbed the launch pad and fell off and landed on his head ,three people killed on motorcycles, One copper beaten to a pulp

Try and aviod the mud pits where they are all dancing and fighting and stay away from the young drunks

And dont get to close to the rockets as I have seen them go heywire