Wikileaks Founder Assange To Run For Senate In Australian Election

webfact

WikiLeaks founder to run for Senate in Australian election

CANBERRA, Jan. 30 (Xinhua) -- Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks website, will run for a Senate seat in the 2013 Australian federal election, his mother Christine Assange confirmed with local media on Wednesday.

newsjs

"He will be awesome," she told Australian Associated Press.

"In the House of Representatives we get to choose between U.S. lackey party number one and U.S. lackey party number two - between the major parties. So it will be great to 'Assange' the Senate for some Aussie oversight," the mother said.

Assange, born in Australian state of Queensland, announced his Senate ambition last December from Ecuador's London embassy. He sought refuge there since last June in a bid to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces rape allegations.

Full story: http://news.xinhuane...c_132139472.htm

-- XINHUANEWS 2013-01-31

footer_n.gif

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Australian Federal Election is on Sat. 14th September 2013. The PM announced on Tuesday.

Assange will not have a hope of obtaining preselection for the Senate. He has to be in Australia. If he was genuine he would face his investigation in Sweden first.

• Like 1

I assume that running for senate and being elected will provide him with diplomatic immunity to leave the consulate without fear of extradition?

I don't think senators are diplomats, so no immunity.

Correct . . . no reason for them to have it.

Except in Thailand!

• Like 1

A lot of off-topic posts have been deleted. Again, we are not going to rehash things that have been covered in other threads. It seems that Julian Assange is able to move on, but some TV posters can't.

This thread is about his run for the Australian Senate.

Please stay on topic.

A lot of off-topic posts have been deleted. Again, we are not going to rehash things that have been covered in other threads. It seems that Julian Assange is able to move on, but some TV posters can't.

Please stay on topic.

Doesn't he have to make a run for the border before he makes a run for the Senate?thumbsup.gif

Please stay on topic.

Doesn't he have to make a fun for the border before he makes a run for the Senate?thumbsup.gif

No you can run for the Senate whilst being detained.

• Like 1

IF he does run and win, it would create a bit of a political problem for Australia. Because he is wanted by Sweden, so if Sweden was to make an extradition request Australia would have to reject it, which in turn creates problem with Sweden and who ever else who might be on the side of Sweden.

US may want to assist to see him locked up and what would Australia do then? say NO to US? the only military friend Australia really has.

If he cares for Australia, i do not think he should run and i do not think people should vote for him.

• Like 2

IF he does run and win, it would create a bit of a political problem for Australia. Because he is wanted by Sweden, so if Sweden was to make an extradition request Australia would have to reject it, which in turn creates problem with Sweden and who ever else who might be on the side of Sweden.

US may want to assist to see him locked up and what would Australia do then? say NO to US? the only military friend Australia really has.

If he cares for Australia, i do not think he should run and i do not think people should vote for him.

So, for the 'good of the nation' he should just shut up and sink into the darkness? Let's drop any pretense of being independent and simply kow-tow to the US or Sweden?

No, thanks. I'd rather people like Assange rock the boat than we just become puppets of the US to an even greater extent

• Like 2

So, for the 'good of the nation' he should just shut up and sink into the darkness? Let's drop any pretense of being independent and simply kow-tow to the US or Sweden?

No, thanks. I'd rather people like Assange rock the boat than we just become puppets of the US to an even greater extent

lets see what what you will say when US will turn its back on Australia and so will half of Europe, Will you be of the same opinion?rolleyes.gif

May be UK can send another governor, that would help

I assume that running for senate and being elected will provide him with diplomatic immunity to leave the consulate without fear of extradition?

No it will not.

One has to be be granted the diplomatic protection.

There are strict rules for the granting of red passports for and they are restricted to diplomats in service, senior government officials (cabinet members do not neccessarily get one) and specified government representatives classified as agents of the government.

Even the appointment as a diplomat does not guarantee diplomatic immunity. Only activities while on government duty are allowed the immunity provision. Even though the activities are interpreted broadly, Assange's alleged wrongdoing occurred before he decided to seek his senator position. IMO, he would not benefit from any diplomatic immunity.

To run for a Senate seat in Australia he has to be resident in Australia. He is not. If he had Australias interests to heart he would not be living overseas in a foreign consulate. When was he last in Australia? When did he last submit a ATO return? When did he last vote in an Australian election?

"In the House of Representatives we get to choose between U.S. lackey party number one and U.S. lackey party number two - between the major parties. So it will be great to 'Assange' the Senate for some Aussie oversight," the mother said.

How true is this statement ? I hope he does get elected. Is given diplomatic immunity, can return home and continue his good work on exposing thise involved in global corruption and government lies.

How true is this statement ? I hope he does get elected. Is given diplomatic immunity, can return home and continue his good work on exposing thise involved in global corruption and government lies.

He will not get diplomatic immunity as he is not employed in the diplomatic service. Also he will not be returning to Australia in the near future and if he ever does it will be well after September 2013.

lets see what what you will say when US will turn its back on Australia and so will half of Europe, Will you be of the same opinion?rolleyes.gif

May be UK can send another governor, that would help

What will I say? How about an ally who turns its back on a country that has helped them for decades and decades, losing their soldiers' lives to please the US.

Excellent ally they would turn out to be.

Half of Europe? Perhaps you think too highly of yourself or even 'half of Europe'. This molehill has been made into a mountain by the UK and Sweden . . . that hardly consists of half of Europe.

By the way, the UK doesn't send governors . . . so your knowledge about that is as wrong as your opinion of Assange's worth is inflated

I think highly of myself? what the hack does that have to do with anything or matter in hand?

It seems you do not grasp simple links in international relations. Yes half of Europe, because Sweden has by far better relations in Europe than Australia ever has or will, it may have something to do with a fact that Sweden is in Europe.

It may also be a coincidence that he is not hiding out in any European Country.

Gees, whatever happened to common senserolleyes.gif

Edited by lemoncake

I think highly of myself? what the hack does that have to do with anything or matter in hand?

It seems you do not grasp simple links in international relations. Yes half of Europe, because Sweden has by far better relations in Europe than Australia ever has or will, it may have something to do with a fact that Sweden is in Europe.

Ok, fair comments . . . Why didn't he hide in any European country . . . because he was in the UK. Quite simple, really.

Do you think Germany, Italy etc... give two hoots about him? No. Do you think any European country or the US would jeopardise hundreds of millions in trade because of Assange? No.

You talk about common sense but fail to see beyond your little picture of 'we iz urpeens, we iz unoited aginst de uvvers'.

Simple links in international relations . . . if you only knew . . .

Ok, fair comments . . . Why didn't he hide in any European country . . . because he was in the UK. Quite simple, really.

Do you think Germany, Italy etc... give two hoots about him? No. Do you think any European country or the US would jeopardise hundreds of millions in trade because of Assange? No.

You talk about common sense but fail to see beyond your little picture of 'we iz urpeens, we iz unoited aginst de uvvers'.

so much nonsense. He cannot be in any european country because he would be extradited

hundreds of million in trade? with who? incase you were not aware China is the biggest trading partner for Australia

you can not possibly be that isolated not to understand that consequences do not always have to be financial losses but a number of other unrelated matters.

futherrmore trade relations are generally private matters not government trades

so much nonsense. He cannot be in any european country because he would be extradited

hundreds of million in trade? with who? incase you were not aware China is the biggest trading partner for Australia

you can not possibly be that isolated not to understand that consequences do not always have to be financial losses but a number of other unrelated matters.

futherrmore trade relations are generally private matters not government trades

Trade regulatory environment is established by government and commerce facilitated by agreements such as FTAs. Their are government owned bodies in Australia e.g. EFIC to facilitate trade and global bodies such as WTO. Government is critical for trade relations to enable commerce.

I do not believe that if Assange is elected to the Senate it will have any ramifications for Australia on trade relations with any country.

• Like 1