Wikileaks Founder Assange To Run For Senate In Australian Election

webfact

Can someone provide a link that proves Israel has nukes?

If not then it is only a conspiracy isn't it.

Though we all know they have them.

So all this talk of giving a link is just another red herring.

Assange will run for the senate and will get quite a lot of votes. Aussies like to protest vote because we are sick of the current crop of morons in parliament. It's good to have someone there to stir the pot and make the major parties actually do something for the people instead of looking after themselves.

• Like 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.smh.com.a...0927-26m7s.html

( p.s. I think this action be USA has inflamed the situation even more. And judging by the favourable response to a question at the bottom of the page, I would say he now has a pretty good chance of winning Senate seatthumbsup.gif )

Then 87% of the responders are fools, unless he swears an oath that he will no longer disseminate classified material.

Wow, you certainly do have a high opinion of yourself . . . branding 87% of responders as fools. Though I am quite certain that you are both a MENSA member as well as a Rhodes scholar your answer makes you look the fool . . . an arrogant fool.

I doubt Assange would, get 87% of the vote in an election but it does seem as though he would do well, having proven himself to not be someone easily cowed by 'the big boys'.

I'd rather have someone like Assange cleaning up the political scene than just another career politician

Australian views on Julian Assange

The poll of 1000 Australian voters was conducted at the end of April 2012.

Key findings:

• Julian Assange is well respected in the Australian community; more so amongst male than female voters.

• He maintains positive approval ratings amongst most of the key demographic groups and Labor and Coalition voters but is particularly popular amongst Green voters.

• If he were to run for the Senate, in a half Senate election, there is a very good chance that he could win a seat, especially if he stood in NSW.

• On the evidence available in the survey he would probably win the seat from the Greens.

http://www.umr.com.au/expertise/reports/item/72-australian-views-on-julian-assange

http://www.umr.com.au/expertise/reports/item/72-australian-views-on-julian-assange

( p.s. I think this action be USA has inflamed the situation even more. And judging by the favourable response to a question at the bottom of the page, I would say he now has a pretty good chance of winning Senate seatthumbsup.gif )

Then 87% of the responders are fools, unless he swears an oath that he will no longer disseminate classified material.

Wow, you certainly do have a high opinion of yourself . . . branding 87% of responders as fools. Though I am quite certain that you are both a MENSA member as well as a Rhodes scholar your answer makes you look the fool . . . an arrogant fool.

I doubt Assange would, get 87% of the vote in an election but it does seem as though he would do well, having proven himself to not be someone easily cowed by 'the big boys'.

I'd rather have someone like Assange cleaning up the political scene than just another career politician

What do you mean not easily cowed? Why is he sitting in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London (a country that has a notorious human rights record to this day) - total hypocrisy Completely undermines his claims to be concerned about illegal activities by government.

How on earth can a senator solely representing his own party clean up the political scene - rubbish. I repeat anyone saying right now they will vote for this man is a fool. At this stage he has not even published his Wikileak Party constitution. If by misfortune he did obtain a seat & their is again an election outcome of a a minority government needing support from an Independent I would hope they call for another election rather than compromising and grovelling to this man. Look what happened with Labor having to negotiate with with a party of idealists, the Greens - what a disaster that has been for Australia.

Cannot understand why anyone would vote for Assange, other than a throw away "protest" vote. Regards Australian collaboration with the US are people seriously stating that Australia does need the benefits of the ANZUS Treaty. One of the benefits is access to the Echelon network SIGNIT, good idea to understand what this contributes to Australian economic and defense national security.

Well there will be alot of protest votes, when you have Abot and Gillard as the front runners bah.gif

What do you mean not easily cowed? Why is he sitting in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London (a country that has a notorious human rights record to this day) - total hypocrisy Completely undermines his claims to be concerned about illegal activities by government.

How on earth can a senator solely representing his own party clean up the political scene - rubbish. I repeat anyone saying right now they will vote for this man is a fool. At this stage he has not even published his Wikileak Party constitution. If by misfortune he did obtain a seat & their is again an election outcome of a a minority government needing support from an Independent I would hope they call for another election rather than compromising and grovelling to this man. Look what happened with Labor having to negotiate with with a party of idealists, the Greens - what a disaster that has been for Australia.

In a democracy people can vote for the candidate of thier choice without fear of being branded a fool by someone he votes for someone else. Personally I think anyone who votes for a liberal or a labour candidate is wasting a vote I wouldn't want to see either of these parties take control so that doesn't leave much to choose from. Julian is the cream of the crop at the moment.

Easily cowed - as in 'not silenced'. I would have thought that to be obvious. The Ecuadorean embassy provides him with the security to continue on his path - surely even you, the MENSA-Man, can understand the rationale behind that.

You repeat yourself at calling quite a few people fools . . . well done, yet you are the fool to discount what 'personality' has to do with politics. We shall hear about his platform soon enough . . . you do realise that most - if not all - politicians, or those that wish to enter politics, state their intentions and then follow with platform. By the way, a draft of his party's constitution has been subjected to legal review . . . it all follows procedure. Again, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

On your last point - please define 'disaster' . . . as you do seem to revel in the boisterous frame of things.

Let him stand. Let the electorate vote. Accept the vote.

That's kind of how this whole democracy thingy-ma-jig works.

Surely you can appreciate that

Julian is the cream of the crop at the moment.

What are his policies for Australia and it's people that support this statement?

In case you're in the dark about what the man stands for here's a hint:

He said a WikiLeaks party would advance WikiLeaks' objectives of promoting openness in government and politics, and it would combat growing intrusions on individual privacy.

If Mr Assange were elected but he was unable to return to Australia to take up his position, a nominee would occupy a Senate seat.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/assange-looks-to-contest-senate-election-20121212-2ba43.html#ixzz2KUiPZ4tO

Julian is the cream of the crop at the moment.

What are his policies for Australia and it's people that support this statement?

He said a WikiLeaks party would advance WikiLeaks' objectives of promoting openness in government and politics, and it would combat growing intrusions on individual privacy.

If Mr Assange were elected but he was unable to return to Australia to take up his position, a nominee would occupy a Senate seat.

Read more: http://www.theage.co...l#ixzz2KUiPZ4tO

Yep, works for me. I've seen what the Libs and Labor stand for and I'm more than happy to give Jules my vote.

Yep, works for me. I've seen what the Libs and Labor stand for and I'm more than happy to give Jules my vote.

me too intheclub.gif

Edited by midas

Easily cowed - as in 'not silenced'. I would have thought that to be obvious. The Ecuadorean embassy provides him with the security to continue on his path - surely even you, the MENSA-Man, can understand the rationale behind that.

You repeat yourself at calling quite a few people fools . . . well done, yet you are the fool to discount what 'personality' has to do with politics. We shall hear about his platform soon enough . . . you do realise that most - if not all - politicians, or those that wish to enter politics, state their intentions and then follow with platform. By the way, a draft of his party's constitution has been subjected to legal review . . . it all follows procedure. Again, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

On your last point - please define 'disaster' . . . as you do seem to revel in the boisterous frame of things.

Sorry just cannot agree that the right path for him was request protection from Ecuador, to me it comprises everything he has claimed to represent being it is such a corrupt & repressive country. One of his justifications for seeking asylum was he wants to "continue his mission of free expression without limits". Ecuador does not have freedom of expression and critics of the government are jailed.

Correct it's a democratic process; let's see if the Electoral Commission accepts and register his party

Disaster in that Labor policy has been heavily influenced by the Greens in order to form and retain a minority government e.g. Carbon Tax

Mairead Corrigan Maguire, 1976 Nobel Peace Prize for her work for peace in Northern Ireland, calls for support for Julian Assange. His only crime is that he embarrassed the U.S. and other powerful governments with WikiLeaks' release of documents in which the U.S. military appear to have deliberately killed civilians.

The least we can do is raise our voices to protect Julian Assange--and Bradley Manning--who have made such brave attempts, at the cost of their own freedom, to expose war crimes and defend freedom and democracy.clap2.gif

http://www.portside....r-calls-support

Edited by midas

Mairead Corrigan Maguire, 1976 Nobel Peace Prize for her work for peace in Northern Ireland, calls for support for Julian Assange. His only crime is that he embarrassed the U.S. and other powerful governments with WikiLeaks' release of documents in which the U.S. military appear to have deliberately killed civilians.

The least we can do is raise our voices to protect Julian Assange--and Bradley Manning--who have made such brave attempts, at the cost of their own freedom, to expose war crimes and defend freedom and democracy.clap2.gif

Lets see how many on this forum hold her up as a wonderful person as in 2009 she joined a campaign for the immediate and unconditional removal of Hamas from the European Union list of proscribed terrorist organisations. Does Assange have a similar POV?

Lets see how many on this forum hold her up as a wonderful person as in 2009 she joined a campaign for the immediate and unconditional removal of Hamas from the European Union list of proscribed terrorist organisations. Does Assange have a similar POV?

Is she running for a Senate seat?

I don't care what she or anyone else thinks, plenty support him. I do.

We all know how bad Labor is and the Greens are loopy.

What are the Libs policies? When I left Oz a couple of months ago they didn't have any. All they do is disagree with any Labor policy.

Not that it matters, I'll be voting for Jules, I'd rather a man of principles than the other riff raff.

• Like 1

Sorry just cannot agree that the right path for him was request protection from Ecuador, to me it comprises everything he has claimed to represent being it is such a corrupt & repressive country. One of his justifications for seeking asylum was he wants to "continue his mission of free expression without limits". Ecuador does not have freedom of expression and critics of the government are jailed.

Correct it's a democratic process; let's see if the Electoral Commission accepts and register his party

Disaster in that Labor policy has been heavily influenced by the Greens in order to form and retain a minority government e.g. Carbon Tax

" Ecuador does not have freedom of expression and critics of the government are jailed. "

garbage bah.gif

What are the Libs policies? When I left Oz a couple of months ago they didn't have any. All they do is disagree with any Labor policy.

Not that it matters, I'll be voting for Jules, I'd rather a man of principles than the other riff raff.

Good on you, why not watch the man of principles interview with the head of Hizbullah, a know terrorist organisation

http://rehmat1.com/2012/04/19/assange-interviews-hizbullah-leader-at-rt/

" Ecuador does not have freedom of expression and critics of the government are jailed. "

garbage bah.gif

Really? Emilio Palacio, a journalist for the Ecuadorian newspaper El Universo, was sentenced to three years in prison for criminal defamation of Rafael Correa's government on July 20, 2011.

http://www.hrw.org/americas/ecuador

Good on you, why not watch the man of principles interview with the head of Hizbullah, a know terrorist organisation

http://rehmat1.com/2...h-leader-at-rt/

Isn't that what journalists do? Interview people. Gaddafi was interviewed by many people, not sure he was such a nice bloke. But doesn't make the intervewers bad people.

Much more fun to watch the US govt arm the worlds future terrorists.

• Like 2

garbage bah.gif

Really? Emilio Palacio, a journalist for the Ecuadorian newspaper El Universo, was sentenced to three years in prison for criminal defamation of Rafael Correa's government on July 20, 2011.

http://www.hrw.org/americas/ecuador

So what? He was incredibly stupid for writing that article !

Even here in this country in which we are all living right now members of the media are fully aware that they are simply not allowed to write about certain topics. But that doesn't make Thailand any less free for the ordinary citizen or expat though?

huh.png

Surely this is your weakest argument to date . . . and you're grasping at straws to demonise Assange

and to stand up against these trends

Do you have a right to anonymous political free speech?

According to the Supreme Court, you do. According to the Department of Homeland Security, you don’t. They’ve hired General Dynamics to track U.S. citizens exercising this critical civil right.

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/01/15/the-dhs-wants-to-know-whose-spreading-the-news-or-expressing-an-opinion-your-rights-optional/

Surely this is your weakest argument to date . . . and you're grasping at straws to demonise Assange

Last note on this topic - did you watch the interview where Assange was joking with the leader of Hizbullah how difficult it is for Israeli intelligence to comprehend their communications - I fail to see why he would make a joke of this issue - very poor judgement

Even here in this country in which we are all living right now members of the media are fully aware that they are simply not allowed to write about certain topics. But that doesn't make Thailand any less free for the ordinary citizen or expat though?

huh.png

So you agree it's not "garbage" that the Ecuadorian government is repressing & jailing opponents. Yet the self appointed adjudicator of transparent governance has sought asylum from a repressive government; says a lot for his principles.

Edited by simple1

huh.png

So you agree it's not "garbage" that the Ecuadorian government is repressing & jailing opponents. Yet the self appointed adjudicator of transparent governance has sought asylum from a repressive government; says a lot for his principles.

no i dont !!!

Try doing this in Thailand with with its very harsh defamation laws and in some cases he would have come off even worse! And in any case the president of Ecuador pardoned him?

Palacio is the author of an example of abject journalistic malfeasance. His 2011 El Universo op-ed falsely accused “the Dictator,” President Correa, of committing “crimes against humanity” by purportedly ordering troops to fire at a “hospital full of civilians and innocent people” during a coup attempt against him in 2010. Palacio didn’t provide a shred of evidence for his claims.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/02/ecuadorean-president-pardons-newspaper-in-defamation-case.html

@midas: Repression by the current Ecuadoran government is well documented and a few quick Google searches provide the reports. A link below from an organisation that superscribes to one of the same viewpoints as Assange (freedom of expression) is below and talks to ongoing repression in Ecuador. However, if you wish to carry on denying and a hypocrite like Assange will get your vote if his party is established, so be it - as someone said, democracy at work.

http://www.ifex.org/ecuador/2013/01/30/repression_election/

• 5 months later...

he has my vote clap2.gif

Julian Assange launches WikiLeaks political party via Skype in London.

Given a number of TV members have claimed a large majority of Australians support Rudd & Abbott on their policies, it will be interesting to see the level of support he gets once Australians review his Asylum Seeker policy. Their again I doubt many will actually bother to understand the entirety of his policies & platform, see below URL, that are cleverly primarily aimed at the political emotions of the 18-30+ demographic as was his video.

http://www.wikileaksparty.org.au/platform/

I like what he says about Asylum Seekers, but I fundamentally distrust him & will not vote for him.