Yingluck Stresses She's Real Prime Minister

webfact

Yingluck stresses she's real prime minister

By English News

20130131144702.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 31 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today categorically denied an international news report that her brother, ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, controls the cabinet remotely from abroad via various telecommunications channels.

The New York Times said Mr Thaksin, in self exile since 2008 and residing mostly in Dubai and London, newsjshas made important political decisions for the government via mobile phone and social media applications such as Skype, Line and Whatsapp.

Ms Yingluck stood firm that she is the genuine prime minister of Thailand and that she and her cabinet jointly and clearly run the country.

“Opinion polls show that my leadership and recognition among the people has increased. I have successively proved myself in the past year. I’d rather have people judge me from my performance,” she said.

“I can’t stop people’s thinking but I believe lots of people are fair to me. What a working person wants is moral support.”

She described as groundless the report which said Mr Thaksin participated in some cabinet meetings and ordered ministers through Skype, saying the cabinet conferences are off limits to telephones. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-31

related

How Thaksin Rules Thailand With Skype And Instant Messenger

http://www.thaivisa....tant-messenger/

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trying to be a little fair, what do we expect her to say? Big brother pulls the strings. Aren't I a great PM! That would be even worse than what she is saying from a political or competence point of view. Thailand isn't the only country where truth from politicians is a fluid concept.

Of course she cannot admit it and I understand why she is denying it. I expect she gets tired of denying it constantly. I sure would.
  • Like 1

I reckon most Thais who care don't believe her, and also don't care. This is a country with majority tolerance for corruption. What do you expect?

"Don't care" ! Yes I agree with that. "Most Thais don't believe her" .......well its a credit to you that you have such faith in the Thai peoples intelligence and awareness. Personally i dont think that many.

Edited by rinteln

Trying to be a little fair, what do we expect her to say? Big brother pulls the strings. Aren't I a great PM! That would be even worse than what she is saying from a political or competence point of view. Thailand isn't the only country where truth from politicians is a fluid concept.

Maybe she should keep her mouth shut sometimes or have someone who knows more about it than her answer the difficult questions!

Of course the truth appears to be from a Thai perspective that this is "a good thing".

He's not here and therefore not acting as a focus for in country disruption [despite being a news item every night] and for many here he's viewed as almost akin to a lucky talisman for the country.

Outsiders may look askance, but for many here, it's the right "deal", as even noted in the NYT article.

POLITICS

"I'm the real prime minister" : Yingluck

The Nation

30199073-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra denied on Thursday in an international news report that her elder brother, ousted premier Thaksin, controlled the cabinet remotely from abroad via various telecommunications channels and that her daily job involved just cutting the ribbons and making the speeches.

An article in The New York Times, "In Thailand, Power Comes With Help From Skype", published on January 29, said Thaksin, in self-exile since 2008 and residing mostly in Dubai and London, has made important political decisions for the government via mobile phone and social media applications such as Skype, LINE and Whatsapp.

The article said "the day-to-day governance of the country is carried out by Ms Yingluck, who is genial, photogenic and 18 years younger than Mr. Thaksin. She cuts the ribbons and makes the speeches."

Yingluck on Thursday stood firm, insisting that it is she who is the genuine prime minister of Thailand and that she and her cabinet jointly and clearly run the country.

"Opinion polls show that my leadership and recognition among the people has increased. I have successively proved myself in the past year. I'd rather have people judge me on my performance," she said.

"I can't stop people's thinking but I believe lots of people are fair to me. What a working person wants is moral support."

She described as groundless the report, which said Thaksin participated in some cabinet meetings and ordered ministers through Skype, saying the cabinet conferences are off limits to telephones.

In his article, Thomas Fuller quoted Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan as saying "we can contact him (Thaksin) at all hours.

"The world has changed. It's a boundless world. It's not like a hundred years ago when you had to use a telegraph."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-31

She should say nothing on the issue and continue to simply cut ribbons at grand openings.

Everyone already knows the score on this issue. Denying it just makes her look ___________ .

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

Yingluck Stresses She's Real Prime Minister

Too much stressing is not velly goose for her health.

and makes wrinkles. The latest pics I saw from her brother were scary, I hope she won't end with a face like him.