The Village Cat

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Priceless. What angels. Are they affectionate with humans?

Mama looks rather thin though and from her mothering techniques I suspect she has had multiple litters already. Any chance of getting her to a vet so that this is the last one?

Mama looks rather thin though and from her mothering techniques I suspect she has had multiple litters already. Any chance of getting her to a vet so that this is the last one?

The kittens are very shy. Only if mum is calling them when she is near me can I make a grab for them and/or give them a tickle. I need to get the camera ready in those circumstances so I can get a good close-up of the kittens with their black-edged noses.

The kittens are eating cat food but they still feed off old mum.

I was looking through some old photos on my 'puter and came across a group that I took in August, 2008. Two cats were on the front door mat. I left the place a couple of years later and went back again last year. But I reckon the two cats are part of the same group that come to my garden now - mum is on the right and dad is on the left. He still comes to the garden too, but is quite timid:

post-35489-0-61749100-1363528268.jpg

I don't know about getting her spayed. There's a Thai lady across the road from me who also feeds the cats so I don't know what she would think of that.

post-35489-0-61749100-1363528268_thumb.j

I also found some old videos from April 2010 of a cat and kittens, also at the back of my house. This was the week before I left the place for a couple of years, so only have a few videos. I've no idea what happened to these kittens or mum with her very nice white fur, but the ginger ones look very similar to the current cats in the garden and soi:

• 1 month later...

After disappearing for a month or so, they've all reappeared, bold as brass, as if they'd just been out for a stroll. And of course, they want food, cheeky little beggars.

• 2 weeks later...

The kittens are very shy. Only if mum is calling them when she is near me can I make a grab for them and/or give them a tickle. I need to get the camera ready in those circumstances so I can get a good close-up of the kittens with their black-edged noses.

The kittens are eating cat food but they still feed off old mum.

I was looking through some old photos on my 'puter and came across a group that I took in August, 2008. Two cats were on the front door mat. I left the place a couple of years later and went back again last year. But I reckon the two cats are part of the same group that come to my garden now - mum is on the right and dad is on the left. He still comes to the garden too, but is quite timid:

post-35489-0-61749100-1363528268.jpg

I don't know about getting her spayed. There's a Thai lady across the road from me who also feeds the cats so I don't know what she would think of that.

I've read it's advisable to handle kittens as early as possible in order for them to be friendly with humans when mature.

True?

Most cats I've encountered in Thailand seem mostly feral. Even most dogs seem skittish.

I've read it's advisable to handle kittens as early as possible in order for them to be friendly with humans when mature.

True?

Most cats I've encountered in Thailand seem mostly feral. Even most dogs seem skittish.

All of these kittens are brave when they are together and with mum. Especially when they are hungry!

One of the kittens is easily picked up - the one I rub in the video in post 41 at about time 0:30. The other ones are much more wary. I tried picking one up and it was struggling all the time and eventually jumped from a great height!

I think they believe in 'safety in numbers'. biggrin.png

Where are the other littl'uns?

Good question - they were all here on the 17th. But I haven't seen them for 3 or 4 days. Maybe they're just lazing about over the road. But now that mum is pregnant again, I don't know what her - and her boyfriend's - attitude is to the 6 month old kittens. Maybe mum and dad have kicked them out! sad.png

They're probably off impregnating or getting pregnant themselves!! And shall think to themselves, ah I remember that nice man that used to feed us.... And you'll have dozens of them at your door!!!

biggrin.png Yes, you're probably right!

It was raining really hard yesterday and windy too, and the boyfriend was sitting alone on the door mat, so I got an old Leo box and put another mat in it for him to go inside and keep warm.

This morning, madame was curled up asleep in the box and boyfriend was outside keeping watch! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

They're probably off impregnating or getting pregnant themselves!! And shall think to themselves, ah I remember that nice man that used to feed us.... And you'll have dozens of them at your door!!!

biggrin.png Yes, you're probably right!

It was raining really hard yesterday and windy too, and the boyfriend was sitting alone on the door mat, so I got an old Leo box and put another mat in it for him to go inside and keep warm.

This morning, madame was curled up asleep in the box and boyfriend was outside keeping watch! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

They are just like humans! tongue.png

Love the videos. Especially the bonding of the parents. Very unusual for a male cat. Guess he doesn't want any other suitors getting involved with his lady.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Two of the 6 months old kittens came back today and had some food with mum. I saw all three a few days ago. I don't know where mum has dropped her latest litter - had a look around the garden but didn't find them. The guy over the road says he feeds them too, so maybe he has been blessed.

smile.png

Please get her spayed once the kittens start to wean. It is bad for her health to have these incessant pregnancies and will shorten her life span (as well as adding to the population of homeless cats). She'll be happier and healthier.