Upsurge In Retirement Visa Extensions

george

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

If you don't have the degree or skills to get job here, you could always take the family back to your country and see how you go there.

Do you think you could live on 15,000 baht a month here with a family?

First of all, yes, you can live here with 15000 baht/ month, most of thai people that i know live with that and even less, and secondly not allways your thai family want to leave thailand, after all is their country, and in my experience for thais learning english is difficult so just imagime how much more difficult must be learning, spanish, portugese, italian , french etc, is not so simple as you think.btw i do have my degree, and earn enough but i do know many foreigner that r suffering because of these absurde rules.

I've never really understood this obsession with degrees.

I worked as a dental technician for over 40 years before I gave it up to spend more time here although I still do some when I go back. When I started you couldn't get a degree in Dental Technology although that may have changed recently. The dental surgeons I worked for all have degrees obviously but a few weren't all that good when I started. I had a few years out while I looked after my late wife until her death. When I returned things had got a lot worse. They've still got degrees but the majority of the ones I've worked for in the last few years have not be good at all and in fact many are just incompetent. There are many thing they admit they never learned to do. Some just do it as fast as possible to get as much money as they can. So you can see why I'm not that impressed with degrees although clearly not everyone with a degree is going to be that bad.

I've also seen people with degrees here who seem not to be educated enough to understand the effects of alcohol on reaction times when driving and also the effects of inertia if not wearing a seatbelt.

I'd like a degree but I can see that it doesn't always mean you're that intelligent.

Nice post kimamey. I have an opinion about these guys that go around bragging about their degrees but I will not post it here. I expect if the truth was known quite a few us TVF posters have a degree but we seldom if ever mention it. It is quite self-aggrandizing to say the least.
  • Like 1

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the numbers of people coming to Thailand to stay for an extended stay, one possible reason for the increase in retirement visa applications and extensions is the immigration officers encouraging people to change to retirement visas after they turn 50, there is less work involved for the officers, I have seen this happening at the local office and hearing from people who have changed from non 'o' marriage to retirement.

It's also easier on the visa holder. No more 90 visa runs etc. Just stop in your local immigration office and fill out a form and have them stamp it. Takes me about 5 minutes in their office.

There is that convneience, but as I understand it, the applicant cannot apply for a resident permit, don't know about citizenship.

It does seem absurd that the government says the maximum it can pay foreign teachers is 30k a month, yet you need a minimum of 40k a month for a marriage visa, because that's the minimum you need to support yourself and your wife.

It's completely reasonable that we should be able to support ourselves, why isn't that the same for a foreign woman married to a Thai man?!

Sorry do you teach math? If so you shouldn't be! 400,000 ÷ 12= 33,333 Baht, I believe my wife spends that much a month. Why if you are a teacher do you need to have a marriage visa, rather than a work permit from the school who employes you? I suppose you are just talking theoretically?

Now I have to admit they have defiantly got the requirements back wards here, I am on the guaranteed income of 65,000 baht a month. If I was on the marriage visa I would only need 40,000 baht a month. I have a live in girl friend for 7 years and she cost me the 25,000 baht the visa says I shouldn't need if I was married. It seems to me it should be 40,000 baht for single and 65,000 baht for married.whistling.gif

Well that's not the law here now is it? Since when could one use logic and Thailand in the same sentence? Well, I guess I can, Thai logic is illogical! Although the people I know with a marriage visa here have to do a border run every 90 days, we with an OA retirement don't. But we do need a criminal background check, medical check and a few other things to get the OA visa in the first place. I am guessing at the logic, but I think it would be; that if you get a marriage visa, you are not working full time or staying full time in Thailand, therefore you need less in your bank account to take care of your wife in this country... If that makes any sense.

Aside from the numbers of people coming to Thailand to stay for an extended stay, one possible reason for the increase in retirement visa applications and extensions is the immigration officers encouraging people to change to retirement visas after they turn 50, there is less work involved for the officers, I have seen this happening at the local office and hearing from people who have changed from non 'o' marriage to retirement.

It's also easier on the visa holder. No more 90 visa runs etc. Just stop in your local immigration office and fill out a form and have them stamp it. Takes me about 5 minutes in their office.

There is that convneience, but as I understand it, the applicant cannot apply for a resident permit, don't know about citizenship.

If you are retired, why would you want PR or Thai citizenship? If you work in Thailand, then you would possibly want to get one or the other. I only know one person with PR and he's owned businesses here for many years. All I hear him say is what a pain it is to own a business here with the lazy thieving workers he has employed over the decades.

If you are retired, why would you want PR or Thai citizenship? If you work in Thailand, then you would possibly want to get one or the other. I only know one person with PR and he's owned businesses here for many years. All I hear him say is what a pain it is to own a business here with the lazy thieving workers he has employed over the decades.

If I were to apply for PR it would be because there is only a need to renew once every five years, not once a year, and no ninety day report, so for me personally it would be about convenience.

If I were to apply for PR it would be because there is only a need to renew once every five years, not once a year, and no ninety day report, so for me personally it would be about convenience.

Good luck with that. From everything I've heard, they're not easy to get. My immigration office is maybe a thirty minute drive and it's a very easy in and out process. Less than an hour for the extension and usually 5 minutes for the 90 day. I suppose I could even do that by mail, or just send my wife.

Indeed, the immigration rules have been well known for years.

Perhaps it's time that they were aligned with the rules of other countries in this small world we live in.

See the hoops you have to jump through to take a Thai lady to the UK for instance.....

Quite rite.

Imagine if we had to jump through the hoops many of the western countries put a Thai through. There would be very few expats here and as for opening your own business not a chance. Some of us have trouble seeing the forest because the trees are in the way.

Yes some times me to but never when it comes to how easy it is to settle qand stay in Thailand. Mind you I am not trying to beat the system.

Totally nonsense,if a Thai has the required documents,and can proof he/she can survive while in Farangland,they all get a visa,Thais what are married with farang can do whatever they like in farangland,work,own land and,and.The only hurdle for a family visa is language test,for germany this test is highschool niveau.if a foreigner in Thailand has all required documents and financial proof it means nothing,it's all up to the immigration office,they can bend the rules the way they want.Hmm just by the way it's a bit funny to compare immigration rules of a 3rd world country with immigration rules from western Europe or USA,Australia,for your information malaysians for example no need a visa to visit Schengen states,I guess the Schengen states will have a reason for that.

Whole lot of bulldust all the way through this thread! 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht monthly income (or a combination of the two) should not be a problem for a genuine retiree with a pension/other income from his own country. The only people who are whinging are those who didn't bother to provide for themselves in their home country before dumping themselves in a low cost haven - no sympathy!

• Like 1

Whole lot of bulldust all the way through this thread! 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht monthly income (or a combination of the two) should not be a problem for a genuine retiree with a pension/other income from his own country. The only people who are whinging are those who didn't bother to provide for themselves in their home country before dumping themselves in a low cost haven - no sympathy!

You are not required to have even one baht of income to legally retire here.
  • Like 1

That's what I said - 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht montlhly income, one or the other, or a combo, not both!

65000bt thats about 1400Pounds or 1600Euro,I don't know to many people who get that much pension

That's what I said - 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht montlhly income, one or the other, or a combo, not both!

That's not how your sentence read actually. coffee1.gif

The only problem I see with this story of more people getting retirement visa's is that this little secret, this great country to retire to, Thailand, is being discovered by everyone, and it will change down the road.

Well if you are an old fart like me and like to watch grass grow come on up to Esaan. I have been here for many years and everything is basically still the same. It is not a bad place. Big C, Lotus, Makro, Home Pro, Global House, local markets and if one treats the people here with respect it will be returned in kind. For me it is heaven on earth. Of course there are some things to do other than sit on the front porch and drink your favorite brew. That would drive me up the wall.

You must be in Udon, Pimay. Great place here, isn't it?thumbsup.gif

I have this VISA sh.t luckily only once a year and call it in my case unfair. I'm married with a wonderful Thai woman for close to 10 years. Together we are proud and happy parents off our daughter. Yearly I have to proof myself again. I entered years ago nice amount off Euro's and multiplied this amount quiet a few times thanks to good, property, investments. Our property-evaluated by 2 banks (I paid them both for taxation report just out off curiosity). The properties and land is evaluated at around 9 figures in Thai Baht before the decimal! But Immigration/ Thai authorities doesn't give a sh.t about this. Because we keep investing and always improving our properties. We do have sometimes Cash Flow shortage. If I have this around new Yearly VISA application I'm completely stressed and they drive me nuts with this. This gives then again a huge blow to our normally happy family.

This 400.000 baht regulation is very unfair to people like me. I provide many Thai laborers/families most construction people year after year with an above minimum wages income. I have staff on and around my properties and our land. We feed many families and provide a lot off help to a village in Isaan. i keep investing to secure my wife and kid, for when I pass away (15 years elder then my partner and weak health but fairly good brains) but sometimes Immigration rules are unfair (and always their; "It is Up to You Remark". Thailand should treat us and give us the same opportunities as Thai's get in foreign country's.

Check article 17.1 & 17.2 UN Manifest for Human Rights!

See where wealthy Thai's own easily and legally private property abroad (Thaksin as an example), but many wealthy Thai have the same. Many Thai's working abroad (Europe, US and so on) can buy and OWN.

China is open for foreign investment, even Cuba, Cambodia, Malaysia and so on, but Thailand is still old fashioned and over-protective. A limitation on maximum land-sizes and property could be understandable for security off food supply.

But current Visa & Ownership rights is out off time.

This only beneficiary to the wealthy Thai, many from Chinese origin (Shinawatra family). They "passed the test off time". I keep "wrestling and struggling" knowing that my beloved daughter & if they ever come my Grandchildren will not face the same unfair treatment. They will be Thai. But for me and my wife the system has been really unfair.

I still love Thailand!

In a few weeks it will be my VISA turn again. And it looks this year more easy for me. Currently I'm Bank-book wise in the Safe-zone.

Edwin

I guess you are under 50, otherwise you would be on a non Immigrant retirement visa.

Are you legally entitled to own the land and property investments in Thailand? Who`s name is the property in? Who`s funds was it purchased with? Are you property speculating in Thailand?

How do you financially support yourself and family in Thailand?

I am sure that if all was above board, you would be able to apply for a business visa as a property dealer and Immigration would be extremely interested. So what`s the problem?

65000bt thats about 1400Pounds or 1600Euro,I don't know to many people who get that much pension

I think the idea is to save money for retirement and then you don't "need" the pension. I was stashing money in a Super fund in Oz for 30 years. Now at 57 I'm retired without too many worries. Pension not due for another 9 years, and 800,000 isn't a bridge too far every year.

• Like 1

I have this VISA sh.t luckily only once a year and call it in my case unfair. I'm married with a wonderful Thai woman for close to 10 years. Together we are proud and happy parents off our daughter. Yearly I have to proof myself again.

Boring.

Same old record again and again.

coffee1.gif

Yes there is a slow progression to alternative visas because they make it harder to get Tourist Visas so people move to Ed visas, now Ed visas have been scrutinized so now a progression to Retirement visas.

I hate to ask whats next.

The Thais love playing musical chairs with farang.

These Russians don't love Putin anymore or what laugh.png

Edited by LindsayBKK

Thailand needs to institute a quota system for these retirement visas. Too many people of one nationality creates inherent difficulties. Too much pressure to overturn the established cultural patterns.

I find that a ridiculous idea. Retirement extensions are only for one year permissions to stay. They have nothing to do with actual immigration.

-- snip --

Edwin

I don't know if your looking for sympathy or what? The way you describe your life what the hell more could you ask for?

Sounds like you should pay yourself or your wife the 40,000 baht per month required income for a marriage visa and that would be that.

I have this VISA sh.t luckily only once a year and call it in my case unfair. I'm married with a wonderful Thai woman for close to 10 years. Together we are proud and happy parents off our daughter. Yearly I have to proof myself again. I entered years ago nice amount off Euro's and multiplied this amount quiet a few times thanks to good, property, investments. Our property-evaluated by 2 banks (I paid them both for taxation report just out off curiosity). The properties and land is evaluated at around 9 figures in Thai Baht before the decimal! But Immigration/ Thai authorities doesn't give a sh.t about this. Because we keep investing and always improving our properties. We do have sometimes Cash Flow shortage. If I have this around new Yearly VISA application I'm completely stressed and they drive me nuts with this. This gives then again a huge blow to our normally happy family.

This 400.000 baht regulation is very unfair to people like me. I provide many Thai laborers/families most construction people year after year with an above minimum wages income. I have staff on and around my properties and our land. We feed many families and provide a lot off help to a village in Isaan. i keep investing to secure my wife and kid, for when I pass away (15 years elder then my partner and weak health but fairly good brains) but sometimes Immigration rules are unfair (and always their; "It is Up to You Remark". Thailand should treat us and give us the same opportunities as Thai's get in foreign country's.

See where wealthy Thai's own easily and legally private property abroad (Thaksin as an example), but many wealthy Thai have the same. Many Thai's working abroad (Europe, US and so on) can buy and OWN.

China is open for foreign investment, even Cuba, Cambodia, Malaysia and so on, but Thailand is still old fashioned and over-protective. A limitation on maximum land-sizes and property could be understandable for security off food supply.

This only beneficiary to the wealthy Thai, many from Chinese origin (Shinawatra family). They "passed the test off time". I keep "wrestling and struggling" knowing that my beloved daughter & if they ever come my Grandchildren will not face the same unfair treatment. They will be Thai. But for me and my wife the system has been really unfair.

I still love Thailand!

In a few weeks it will be my VISA turn again. And it looks this year more easy for me. Currently I'm Bank-book wise in the Safe-zone.

Edwin

Not being particularly money minded,i'm having difficulty getting my head around your statement that you have property and land "9 figures in thai baht before the decimal" and even more unbelievable: you struggle to find a miserable 400,000 baht once a year.for your visa biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

• Like 1

I still love Thailand!

Edwin

Thanks for your portfolio. I prefer to keep such things to myself. But thanks anyway. Sorry to hear your tale of woe?

Can anyone explain to me how on earth someone can live of 15000 bath a month and have equal live as in your home country.

Hence we are with the four of us and hardly make it 65000 a month having kids at private schools, insurence, car, healty food, 48 bath 95 super petrol a liter,visit Lao family a raison of 3 re-entry 3000 Thai exit entry Lao 105 US$ insurence and car across another 1000 EVERY time we cross the border.............

thank God we are allowed to stay in Grandma's house, pffffffffffffffffffffffffff..........on the other hand i know people a family of 4 same situation same town, whom buy goatheadsoups a raison 10 bath a plastic bag,go to tesco to buy "overdated groceries" do NOT have ANY insurence drive a 15 year old "car' (once a month) and seem to be very happy, just like their fellow country men/women who are packed in the same neighborhoods and consider life a burden.

Private school, insurance, cars, foreign holidays and healthy food are all lifestyle choices for the wealthy in most countries. I didn't couldn't afford most of them in my home country (I did have a car).

for the record

I consider visiting Laos for family visit NOT a foereign holliday.

Private School is not an option it's the ONLY option with foreign kids in Thailand.(as far as I know)

Car? ok i give in....your right. not really necessary.

Private insurence which is bloody expensive around here and usually restricted to a certain amount per "incident" is a must for my family and is considered normal in the Netherlands, here NO free doctors visit or free operations, nor free anything for that matter.

Food choice is a private decission, I agree

Other then that

Rent a dent place 10.000 bath (all included) a month

Life is how you want it.

Thai Girlfriends are pleased with cash payed houses, gold, land, bars, resorts and wining and dining, we spend the money on our family and leave everybody happy included Thai Immigration

Thank you for your respected respons

hgma

Can anyone explain to me how on earth someone can live of 15000 bath a month and have equal live as in your home country.

Hence we are with the four of us and hardly make it 65000 a month having kids at private schools, insurence, car, healty food, 48 bath 95 super petrol a liter,visit Lao family a raison of 3 re-entry 3000 Thai exit entry Lao 105 US$ insurence and car across another 1000 EVERY time we cross the border.............

thank God we are allowed to stay in Grandma's house, pffffffffffffffffffffffffff..........on the other hand i know people a family of 4 same situation same town, whom buy goatheadsoups a raison 10 bath a plastic bag,go to tesco to buy "overdated groceries" do NOT have ANY insurence drive a 15 year old "car' (once a month) and seem to be very happy, just like their fellow country men/women who are packed in the same neighborhoods and consider life a burden.

Private school, insurance, cars, foreign holidays and healthy food are all lifestyle choices for the wealthy in most countries. I didn't couldn't afford most of them in my home country (I did have a car).

for the record

I consider visiting Laos for family visit NOT a foereign holliday.

Private School is not an option it's the ONLY option with foreign kids in Thailand.(as far as I know)

Car? ok i give in....your right. not really necessary.

Private insurence which is bloody expensive around here and usually restricted to a certain amount per "incident" is a must for my family and is considered normal in the Netherlands, here NO free doctors visit or free operations, nor free anything for that matter.

Food choice is a private decission, I agree

Other then that

Rent a dent place 10.000 bath (all included) a month

Life is how you want it.

Thai Girlfriends are pleased with cash payed houses, gold, land, bars, resorts and wining and dining, we spend the money on our family and leave everybody happy included Thai Immigration

Thank you for your respected respons

hgma

Extensions at least mean the applicants are here and hopefully know the score. It always makes me chuckle at " new arrivals " who have been here before as tourists and have enjoyed that scene. Many decide on realising their ambition to own a bar, buy one, become their own best customer and the inevitable happens as they have no idea how to run the place. I recall in Pattaya many years ago a retired Englishman bought his dream bar but it was up for sale within 6 weeks with a major loss of cash for him